iPhone Tethering with iPhone OS 3.1

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
mycle

iPhone Tethering with iPhone OS 3.1

Post by mycle » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:36 am

Has anyone got tethering working with OS 3.1 on an iPhone?

Raymond @ Exetel tells me it should just work and they have successfully tested it, but he can't/won't tell me what settings file they used. I've been using the unofficial mobile config file linked to in the OS 3.0 tethering thread and this just causes the Tethering option to disappear from the network settings. If I get rid of the config file and just use the settings from the sim I can't use the internet at all as the APN is set to the optus one not exetel1. If I create a config to set the APN to exetel1, and then try tethering it tells me to contact Optus.

Anyone got any suggestions for anything else to try?

Thanks
Mycle.

mycle

Re: iPhone Tethering with iPhone OS 3.1

Post by mycle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 am

Bump.

Anyone? Even the exetel guys have gone quiet on me.

evilbeing

Post by evilbeing » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 am

i ordered my sim card on last wednesday and want to be ready for tethering when it arrives.... im also on 3.1 thinking of downgrading to 3.0 if it means i can tether... Does the iphone grab the details for the APN off the simcard when it is restored and setup as a new iphone or something similar? maybe thats a solution if someone wants to try it before i get my simcard.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:39 pm

The IPCC files now need to be digitally signed and it would be loading the default Optus file as the service is Optus based, it may be possible to use a custom IPCC file but the version number needs to be greater than the official one apparently or it will revert to using the default file, see here for details about that http://andrew.harrison.org/notes/using- ... rierbundle (the link is for 3 but the problem is the same) I find this restriction an unnecessary complication also, don't know if Exetel can do anything to fix this problem as it may not be specifically stated in their contract with Optus, I'd love to see it fixed though

to Evelbeing you will need to manually edit the APN info which will default to the Optus one (another annoyance) you can do that by going to www.unlockit.co.nz via Wi-Fi and choose custom APN and enter exetel1 save and load the config and you'll be right to go

SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:41 am

This will be something Exetel need to address with Optus I think- Optus certainly won't help us directly. Tethering is certainly borked under 3.1 at present. I;m hoping somebody at Exetel can assist with this, as it's a pain in the butt.

mycle

Post by mycle » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:13 am

Well I've been trying to get exetel to help with this but they've gone mysteriously quiet after I asked for specifics in response to their 'it just works'.

Mycle.

Tastech

Post by Tastech » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:59 am

hi has there been any progress on this??? I have been waiting for this be resolved before I apply for the service?? if it odesnt work its not worth paying for an iBrick.

mycle

Post by mycle » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am

Nothing happening. Exetel folks have stopped responding to my emails. Most disappointing.

cubic

Post by cubic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:48 am

Take it up with Apple. They're the ones who've sold you crippleware.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

mycle

Post by mycle » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:56 am

Apple sold me a phone which allows the network to determine which features are allowed to be used.
Optus disabled the feature on the network for iPhones.
Exetel resold the Optus product and say they allow tethering with iPhones.

If I stick a Virgin or Vodaphone SIM in my phone it works fine. It's the Optus/Exetel SIM that is causing the problem.

From what I can see it's between Exetel and Optus.

cubic

Post by cubic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Apple sold you a phone that doesn't work on standard networks. Instead, the network operator is required to make special arrangements for it - unique to this one device.

By all means request that Exetel makes those arrangements for you - hopefully in time they'll succeed in sorting it out with Optus - but if you're looking to complain about this situation, place the blame where it belongs.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

adriansmith

Post by adriansmith » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 am

I would also like to get tethering working on iPhone OS 3.1.x

If anyone gets anywhere then please let us know.

Is there anything we can do to continue to encourage Exetel to take this up with Optus?

hefeinna

Post by hefeinna » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:12 am

I have tethering working on 3.1. The only caveat is that you need to be jailbroken - once jailbroken if you install the application MyWi (which creates a WiFi hotspot using the iPhone's 3G connection) the option for USB and Bluetooth tethering is also restored in Settings>General>Network. MyWi is about $10, but there's a free trial which I'm on at the moment, and since you don't actually need to open the application to use USB and/or Bluetooth tethering I'd be interested to see if they remain functional after that's expired. I guess I'll report back in 7 days' time.

Either way, I suppose I'll have to decide whether it's worth $10 to be able to tether without the USB cable (I can't seem to get the iPhone working with the Windows Vista Bluetooth stack, although I hear that it's much better with Windows 7 and it All Just Works).

It's certainly not a permanent fix, and jailbreaking/not updating the iPhone lest it be broken is a pain, but at least it gets tethering working in the short run while Optus/Exetel sort out this carrier profile issue.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:54 pm

hefeinna wrote:I have tethering working on 3.1. The only caveat is that you need to be jailbroken - once jailbroken if you install the application MyWi (which creates a WiFi hotspot using the iPhone's 3G connection) the option for USB and Bluetooth tethering is also restored in Settings>General>Network. MyWi is about $10, but there's a free trial which I'm on at the moment, and since you don't actually need to open the application to use USB and/or Bluetooth tethering I'd be interested to see if they remain functional after that's expired. I guess I'll report back in 7 days' time.

Either way, I suppose I'll have to decide whether it's worth $10 to be able to tether without the USB cable (I can't seem to get the iPhone working with the Windows Vista Bluetooth stack, although I hear that it's much better with Windows 7 and it All Just Works).

It's certainly not a permanent fix, and jailbreaking/not updating the iPhone lest it be broken is a pain, but at least it gets tethering working in the short run while Optus/Exetel sort out this carrier profile issue.
once you've got MYWI on you can change a few lines of code and it still works after removing that program apparently (I don't jailbreak mine so only going on the reports of others) details here about the changes you need to make http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:random

mycle

Post by mycle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:41 am

hefeinna wrote:It's certainly not a permanent fix, and jailbreaking/not updating the iPhone lest it be broken is a pain, but at least it gets tethering working in the short run while Optus/Exetel sort out this carrier profile issue.
Given I got the following from the exetel helpdesk, I'm not holding out much hope for an exetel delivered solution:
Please note that tethering is not available as per our supplier.
Looks like nobody at exetel wants to negotiate with Optus for a solution.

Mycle.