Exetel MoIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
gmphoto

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by gmphoto » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:17 pm

shermanf wrote:The application is pending signing from Nokia and should be available this Monday.
What of the iPhone app?

Doh should have read the announcement as per the message a few above...to be released Monday.

I look forward to sms without having to have a web app set up.
Last edited by gmphoto on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:18 pm

ahas wrote:
gmphoto wrote:What codec is recommended for SIP VOIP on 3G?
G729 is usually the best for 3G, low bandwidth requirement, good quality

Also under the "Changes and Events" section, announcement today for release of MOIP on Monday

Regards
Anne
Thank you Anne, I'll try that and give some feedback if anyone is interested.

Gary

BJohnston

Post by BJohnston » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:47 pm

shermanf wrote:The application is pending signing from Nokia and should be available this Monday.

This is good news, Exetel to the rescue once again.

Good work guys

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:54 pm

gmphoto wrote:
What of the iPhone app?

Doh should have read the announcement as per the message a few above...to be released Monday.

that will probably be pending an Apple release so it could be a bit longer if Apple have anything to do with, not even Google got their app released on the day they announced it would be available, it will get there eventually I'm sure though anyway

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:23 pm

jokiin wrote:
gmphoto wrote:
What of the iPhone app?

that will probably be pending an Apple release so it could be a bit longer if Apple have anything to do with, not even Google got their app released on the day they announced it would be available, it will get there eventually I'm sure though anyway
Be quite easy to get a little sick of Apple.................

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 pm

gmphoto wrote:
can have its frustrating sides at times but overall the experience is quite good, been using an iPhone for over a year now and dusted off my old E65 on the weekend as my second phone had died, I'd really forgotten just how bad it was for tasks that I take for granted on the iPhone

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 am

jokiin wrote:
gmphoto wrote:
can have its frustrating sides at times but overall the experience is quite good, been using an iPhone for over a year now and dusted off my old E65 on the weekend as my second phone had died, I'd really forgotten just how bad it was for tasks that I take for granted on the iPhone
Like email - what a blessing that is. The only thing I really don't like is the pain in the a**e actually getting HSPA working on the iPhone. The only way I could get it to work was using unlockit.co.nz.

Is there an easier way now?

And more on topic, will the MoIP app allow us to sms using the inbuilt contacts database? And will we be able to carry on sms conversations as with the inbuilt app?

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Gary

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am

gmphoto wrote:
Like email - what a blessing that is. The only thing I really don't like is the pain in the a**e actually getting HSPA working on the iPhone. The only way I could get it to work was using unlockit.co.nz.
yeah email is what I mostly use mine for, very good solution for a mobile device, the unlockit site is the quickest way to get it working, that's an Optus restriction unfortunately that makes this a necessity
gmphoto wrote: And more on topic, will the MoIP app allow us to sms using the inbuilt contacts database? And will we be able to carry on sms conversations as with the inbuilt app?
I don't believe it can but this I think is an Apple limitation in the way they allow 3rd party apps to interact with core functionality of the phone

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am

gmphoto wrote:
What of the iPhone app?

The application will not be available for release today as the application is pending signing from Nokia and are predicting a release sometime this week.

A iPhone version is also planned however due to the process involved in getting the app tested/verified and released on the app store this could take a while.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:33 pm

shermanf wrote: A iPhone version is also planned however due to the process involved in getting the app tested/verified and released on the app store this could take a while.

SIP apps are typically the slowest to get approved by Apple, four weeks from submission for approval is not uncommon, some have taken longer, one I recall was more than 4 months but it had a lot of functionality over and above what's normally found in a VoIP app

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Gidget wrote:You can only request from HSPA User Facilties. Go to "VOIP" in the left-hand menu, then to "Exetel MOIP" in the sub-menu.

Gidget
:( The Nokia 5800 is not in the list of supported devices, I thought I read earlier any Nokia phone that supports 3G, it was in the OP of MoIP finally here thread, does that mean it may work but has not been tested with one? What other model should I choose to try it with, anyone know?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Old Flame wrote:
Gidget wrote:You can only request from HSPA User Facilties. Go to "VOIP" in the left-hand menu, then to "Exetel MOIP" in the sub-menu.

Gidget
:( The Nokia 5800 is not in the list of supported devices, I thought I read earlier any Nokia phone that supports 3G, it was in the OP of MoIP finally here thread, does that mean it may work but has not been tested with one? What other model should I choose to try it with, anyone know?
I'm not sure all models were covered by the beta versions, probably better to just wait until the release version is available

Komp

Post by Komp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:42 am

I'm considering getting an iphone and one of exetel's per min (voda plans) plus a data pack... would it be possible/usable to use MOIP on the voda network rather than the Optus network HSPA plans?

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am

Komp wrote:I'm considering getting an iphone and one of exetel's per min (voda plans) plus a data pack... would it be possible/usable to use MOIP on the voda network rather than the Optus network HSPA plans?
I'm doing it now with quite good results :)

Komp

Post by Komp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 pm

ottyacat wrote:
I'm doing it now with quite good results :)
Good to hear :) I will make the switch as soon as the iphone app comes out.