Exetel MoIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
fester

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by fester » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:34 am

hotdish wrote:Fester have you actually spoken using a 6120c and the Moip app?
Not yet, i will later today though.

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 pm

2. Can anyone comment on the power consumption if ExeMoIP is started on boot-up and left running continuously registered in the background?

Tried this out over the weekend on an E63, I made some calls all good. Left the MOIP app running (not intensional) and noticed that about 7 hours later the phone was quite hot and battery was almost flat. Battery life on this phone is usually very good and it never gets hot. When I checked the usage for this period there were uploads of 92 MB. I will be shutting down moip after using it from now on.

jylan

Post by jylan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:53 pm

jollyg wrote:Tried this out over the weekend on an E63, I made some calls all good. Left the MOIP app running (not intensional) and noticed that about 7 hours later the phone was quite hot and battery was almost flat. Battery life on this phone is usually very good and it never gets hot. When I checked the usage for this period there were uploads of 92 MB. I will be shutting down moip after using it from now on.
It's not just me then (in regards to the battery life)... Were the 92MB of uploads used in the time period you were making calls or when the app was idle? Looking at my usage for yesterday MoIP doesn't seem to have uploaded much at all.

Markovich

Post by Markovich » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Re DATA consumption:
my log subsequently showed a 16.25 hour continuous connection with total upload of 1.8 mb and download of 1.4 mb. This would have included some browsing as well as LAN activity (SMB), but equates to total average upload of 115kb/hr over that period. This seems within expectations for VoIP registration purposes. VoIP calls themselves should use <1Mb/hr.

I would look further for the cause of a 92Mb transfer...

Other observations:

- Calls don't appear to self-terminate when other end hangs up (unless I didn't wait long enough), potentially wasting VoIP resources for the VSP.

- Seems to work fine with SmartConnect, using LAN or HSPA as available.

Edit: substitute "DATA" for "power" :roll:

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Were the 92MB of uploads used in the time period you were making calls or when the app was idle? Looking at my usage for yesterday MoIP doesn't seem to have uploaded much at all.[/quote]

When idle

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I would look further for the cause of a 92Mb transfer...

Other observations:

- Calls don't appear to self-terminate when other end hangs up (unless I didn't wait long enough), potentially wasting VoIP resources for the VSP.

I have noticed this as well, wonder if this is connected in some way

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I have found with mine (E71) it is important to click 'Hang Up' to terminate the call and not the 'red button' you would use to normally terminate a call as this simply minimises the application without terminating the call. This could be a problem if you were on a mobile or international call tarif.

Markovich

Post by Markovich » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm

jollyg wrote:
Markovich wrote: I would look further for the cause of a 92Mb transfer...

Other observations:

I have noticed this as well, wonder if this is connected in some way
As I have suggested (albeit in a round-a-bout way), 92MB is equivalent to to an at least 92 hour VoIP call.

Also, every other VSP I know resets a VoIP connection after 2 to 3 hours,...even if you are still actually talking to someone! (due to inherent weaknesses in network negotiated connection/disconnection compared to PSTN)

I really do suggest you also look outside the normal operation of ExeMoIP for this large data transfer.

- Make a VoIP call and record the data usage for that call duration.
- Retest the background operation of ExeMoIP over a 3 hour period and record the data usage.

Let us know the results.

fester

Post by fester » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Just tried now and it failed.... it sends sms ok though.

notoriousft

Post by notoriousft » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Markovich wrote:
- Make a VoIP call and record the data usage for that call duration.
- Retest the background operation of ExeMoIP over a 3 hour period and record the data usage.

Let us know the results.
I left MoIP on for 6 hours and in total received 3-4 minutes and made 1 or two minutes of call, also browsed two webpages . The total bandwidth it used was 6.75 MB.

rjedw

Post by rjedw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:19 pm

fester wrote:
Just tried now and it failed.... it sends sms ok though.
I have installed the app on my 6120c this afternoon without success. Registered but appears to hang when I try anything. I then tried to reinstall the Exevoip app for which I had some calling success with, but says the 'security certificate' has expired. Is there a workaround for this issue?

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 pm

rjedw wrote:I then tried to reinstall the Exevoip app for which I had some calling success with, but says the 'security certificate' has expired. Is there a workaround for this issue?
Try Phone Settings -> Applications -> App manager and turn off the certificate check.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Does anyone know whether the MOIP and Exetel SMS Widget is compatible with the LG Viewty KU990?

cubic

Post by cubic » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:58 am

plasmapuff wrote:Does anyone know whether the MOIP and Exetel SMS Widget is compatible with the LG Viewty KU990?
What OS is it? Unless it's Symbian S60 or Windows Mobile I seriously doubt it will worth Exetel's while making an app to support it.
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... =0#p263668
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

cubic wrote:
plasmapuff wrote:Does anyone know whether the MOIP and Exetel SMS Widget is compatible with the LG Viewty KU990?
What OS is it? Unless it's Symbian S60 or Windows Mobile I seriously doubt it will worth Exetel's while making an app to support it.
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... =0#p263668
I believe its just running its own flash based OS :(

What about Android? Is version 1.5+ supported?

Edit: A more general question- Can I get Exetel Voip via any HSDPA supported phone?
Thanks once again :)