Exetel MoIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Exetel MoIP

Postby raymond on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Exetel is about to release MoIP (Mobile application for VOIP). It is currently under beta testing. If you have a mobile running on Symbian Nokia, you can request for testing in your HSPA member's facilities.

https://www.exetel.com.au/hspa/moip_appliation.php

For installation:

• Copy all the application file(ExetelMoIP.sisx) in the same folder in your symbian nokia mobile (fp0, fp1 and above)
  • Install the sisx file either using the pcsuite or manually clicking the sis file from file explorer of your mobile.
  • Make sure, the tools-settings-applications-app.manager-software installation is set to All (and not Signed only)
  • Install Exetel MoIP app on the PHONE MEMORY and NOT on the SD CARD on the phone
After installation, a default application icon with name "ExetelMoIP" is created under Applications/Installation folder of the mobile. Click on it to start the application.

• After installation, start the application by clicking on the ExetelMoIP Icon in you Application menu.
  • It'll display the list of available network access points in your mobile. Please select Exetel HSPA internet connection which you want to use for the voip call.
  • Note: The application will not start if the network access point selected doesn't have an internet connection
  • Go to "Call Settings". In the User password, enter your Exetel VOIP username and Exetel VOIP password
  • Click on save. You should get a "Register Success" Prompt on the screen. You will also see "Registered" status from main screen.
  • On successful registration, you can make outgoing calls using call button

Exetel Mobile Menu Structure:

1.Call (Number)
  • Options("Search contact", "Main menu")
  • Call
2.SMS ("To", "Message")
  • Options("Search contacts", "Send message")
  • Back
3.History
  • Options("Call", "SMS", "Delete")
  • Back
4.Call settings
  • Save
  • Back
5.SMS settings("Username", "Password", "SIM Number")
  • Save
  • Back
6.Advanced settings
  • Incoming calls("Ask to accept calls", "Reject incoming calls")
  • Autostart("Start on phone start", "Stop on phone start")
7.Hide
raymond
Exetel Staff

Re: Exetel MoIP

Postby Ravenous on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Great News! :D

Any idea if or when the testing will be expanded to other phones (e.g. Samsung Symbian S60, WM, Android, iPhone)?
Ravenous

Postby raymond on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Any phones runing on Symbian Nokia S60 will be supported in the current application.

The next application is Iphone, then windows mobile.
raymond
Exetel Staff

Postby tin on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Is the iPhone a common device on Exetel? I would have thought WinMob would be more common that iPhones.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.
tin

Postby JamesR on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm keen to test a Windows Mobile version when released.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005
JamesR

Postby raymond on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:56 pm

I will see whether we can work on Iphone and Windows mobile at the same time.
raymond
Exetel Staff

Postby rseydler on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Currently using portsip on WM6.1 and it's great. Why write something when something already exists and is free?

Ron
rseydler

Postby Lawrie on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I have installed Exetel MoIP and will trial it.

Immediate points to note:
1. you can call or SMS from the same application.
2. it appears that you have to be in the application to make calls (not just have it running). ie. Cant make calls from the contacts list or 'home' page
3. cant find how to change ring tone or volume settings for the Exetel MoIP app
Lawrie

Postby JamesR on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm

rseydler wrote:Currently using portsip on WM6.1 and it's great. Why write something when something already exists and is free?

Ron

Didn't know about this, but I have since installed it and using it fine. Thanks for the tip Ron!
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005
JamesR

Postby Gidget on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Lawrie wrote:3. cant find how to change ring tone or volume settings for the Exetel MoIP app

To change the volume setting, use the "up" scroll to increase and the "down" scroll key to decrease.

Don't know about the ring tone, sorry - Raymond will have to answer that one.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Lawrie on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:19 pm

the volume I refered to was the ring tone voume
Lawrie

Postby vk3xem on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:31 pm

I have applied to trial the application. I use Nokia's native SIP client in my Nokia E66 and Colby SMS, but if I can help improve ExetelMoIP to a level that it is easy enough for most people to use then this will be great.

At present I would really only recommend VoIP at a static location, as it can be difficult to maintain VoIP on a mobile phone.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM
vk3xem

Postby Gidget on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Lawrie wrote:the volume I refered to was the ring tone voume

Sorry Lawrie, I didn't appreciate that when I first read your post - re-reading it, I can see there is another interpretation :D

In that case, I can't help, sorry.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Lawrie on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:48 pm

I have also attempted to make a call that requires the use of DTMF tones, ie to input a PIN and #. This does not appear to work with this SIP client and I can't see any settings to play with.

As I am using a Nokia E71 which has a very good inbuilt SIP client that interacts with all the other nokia phone apps, (I can type a number directly at the home page, which refers to looks up the phone contacts, and then decide to make a SIP or mobile call), so I will be going back to using it at this point in time.

The only issue I have with my standard scenario relates to SMS, where I receive messages in the standard phone app, and I send using ColbySMS. There is no easy way to directly reply to, or forward an SMS I have received and there is no log on the phone of SMSs sent (there is a log on the Facilities SMS page of course).
Lawrie

Postby thomashouseman on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I can make this crash every time. Select Call, then when it's prompting for a number, press the up arrow to increase the volume to full. If it hasn't already crashed, press down to decrease volume. Program will then exit/crash and have to be re-started. This is on a Noka 6120c.

EDIT: With further testing, I cannot receive calls on my SIP no. The phone rings, I press answer and the calling number keeps ringing and I get silence on the mobile and just the "Hang Up" prompt.

Hmm, major fail. Can't call either. I have the 3.5g icon and the full signal strength bar, but when trying to call anyone, I just get silence and the phone at the other end doesn't ring.

Feel free to call me to troubleshoot further.

Thomas.
thomashouseman

Next

Return to HSPA connections