Exetel MoIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Annie

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by Annie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for all your help you have been great and patient

Thanks guys for your patience. One more thing to go

Setting up the sip settings

Can you confirm what I need to enter into the following headings under sip settings

Profile name
Service profile Nokia 3GPP or DETF
Default access point Exetel 3G
Public user name
use compression yes or no
Registration always on or when needed
Use security yes or no
Proxy server
Registrar server

Annie

Post by Annie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:58 am

I spent yesterday checking out my new moip in different areas. It works really well in a good reception area. No problems. Reasonably good call quality.
It appears I live in a poor reception area to a optus tower but while at home the problem is solved by WLAN to my netcom voip modem. This gives me good call quality. If away from home and not in a good reception area will use either text messaging which works or use my non voip number which works ok as well if I can not hook into a wifi hot spot.

So thank you for all your help and patience it has been very much appreciated.

There is just one more lot of settings I would like confirmed in my set up if you dont mind. It would also be appreciated.

Can you confirm what I need to enter into the following headings under sip settings

Profile name
Service profile Nokia 3GPP or DETF
Default access point Exetel 3G
Public user name
use compression yes or no
Registration always on or when needed
Use security yes or no
Proxy server
Registrar server

australiana

Post by australiana » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:04 pm

I am a disappointed MOIP user. I moved from an Exetel mobile plan that had few problems but MOIP has been plagued with difficulties.

Firstly, as others have noted here, the MOIP app appears to drain my phone (Nokia E66) in much less than a day when normally it would go for 2 or 3 days before having to be recharged.

Secondly, and most annoyingly, call quality has been very erratic. I recently returned from an overseas trip and made a long call to my wife (landline) and the call quality was great - I hoped maybe some of the technical problems had been resolved. However it turns out that I had not made a MOIP call at all, even though I believe I had made the call from within the MOIP app, but a standard call that cost me $26 and not the trivial MOIP call cost I expected.

I concede that I do not have a lot of technical competence and perhaps some problems derive from that fact. Perhaps Exetel should clearly warn that this app is only for the technically-minded and those happy to deal with the complexities, bugs and glitches inherent in an only partially developed technology.

Incidentally, in Thailand I used the True mobile VOIP service to phone Australia and it worked brilliantly and at very low cost. That is the kind of service I was hoping for with MOIP but it hasn't happened.

australiana

MOIP to VOIP

Post by australiana » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 pm

I am having a problem with using MOIP to phone a VOIP number. At my home address I have both a VOIP number and a conventional Telstra number. When I ring the VOIP number it rings but when it is answered nether side hears anything. The same thing happens when I call my son's Exetel VOIP number.

In contrast, when I call my home Telstra number the call goes through without problems. Help please.

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Re: MOIP to VOIP

Post by shermanf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:53 am

It sounds like it could be a codec negotiation problem, where the MoIP app would advertise the g729 codec and if the receiving VoIP number does not have g729 enabled either on the ATA or softphone such as X-lite which does not support g729 it would cause the call to fail.

Also try selecting only g729 codec on the receiver's end.

australiana wrote:I am having a problem with using MOIP to phone a VOIP number. At my home address I have both a VOIP number and a conventional Telstra number. When I ring the VOIP number it rings but when it is answered nether side hears anything. The same thing happens when I call my son's Exetel VOIP number.

In contrast, when I call my home Telstra number the call goes through without problems. Help please.

Eviscerator

MoIP SMS from E66

Post by Eviscerator » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:16 am

Hi all.
I've installed the MoIP application on my Nokia E66, and am having a few odd issues.
SIP registers and makes calls as expected.
SMS on the other hand is ... intermittent.
An SMS is always sent, and always delivered, but it is not always the SMS I typed.
Usually part of the SMS is cut off (in completely random places), or some line breaks are replaced with other characters.

I previously had the old exeSMS app on the phone, and it worked perfectly.

I've done a fairly thorough scanning of the forums to see if anyone else has this issue, but it seems I'm alone.
Any help greatly appreciated

- evis

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Redacted
Last edited by Ravenous on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Ravenous wrote:Was the character limit exceeded (160 *i think*)? Exetel MoIP does not string 2 or more together.
Doesn't it? I don't think that is correct as I'm sure I've successfully done so, and I seem to remember MoIP asking for confirmation that I want to send more than one message when I exceed 160 characters. MoIP sends via the Exetel SMS facility and this info is from the SMS FAQ on this page
http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-sms-faq.php
A multi-part message is multiple messages constructed to appear on the mobile phone handset as one message using non-visible headers within the following 160 set of characters to advise the handset to attach the message to the previous.
The inclusion of the headers, means that

* 1 part = 0 - 160 characters
* 2 parts = 161 - 304 characters
* 3 parts = 305 - 456 characters
* 4 parts = 457 - 608 characters
and
The maximum number of messages that can be sent is 4 with a maximum of 612 characters.
Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Sorry about that. Exetel MoIP app indeed allows multi. Not sure why I thought it. :?

The link and quotes to the obvious backend multi-part SMS functionality provided by exetel is a little overboard don't you think? :(

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Ravenous wrote:The link and quotes to the obvious backend multi-part SMS functionality provided by exetel is a little overboard don't you think? :(
Sorry if you thought I was having a go at you Ravenous - that certainly wasn't my intention. I only included the link and quotes for the sake of completeness and for the benefit of other possible readers of this thread - not everyone researching on the Forum is as knowledgeable about Exetel's SMS functionality (or where to find out the info) as you (or I).

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Eviscerator

Post by Eviscerator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm assuming the last couple of posts were directed at my post?

If so, I'll just add that it doesn't matter whether the attempted SMSs are 60, 160 or 360 characters long, they still don't get through in their entirety, or end up garbled.

- evis

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Eviscerator wrote:they still don't get through in their entirety, or end up garbled.

- evis
are you sending any non standard characters or is it just letters and numbers?

Eviscerator

Post by Eviscerator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 pm

jokiin wrote:are you sending any non standard characters or is it just letters and numbers?
just the standard letters, numbers, and line breaks you would exepct.
The same sort of stuff which was working perfectly in the old exeSMS

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:32 am

Try a reinstall of the app. Other than that I am stumped. Perhaps ensure the firmware of the E66 is up-to-date but that is a very long shot.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 am

Eviscerator wrote:
jokiin wrote:are you sending any non standard characters or is it just letters and numbers?
just the standard letters, numbers, and line breaks you would exepct.
The same sort of stuff which was working perfectly in the old exeSMS
ok, had to ask just to be able to rule that out as a factor

if you login to the members section and send SMS from there or use the exeSMS program do your SMS's work reliably then?