Exetel MoIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
slave1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Toowoomba QLD

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by slave1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:33 am

How about MoIP app for the Nokia N900 (for Maemo/MeeGo OS)?

compositor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by compositor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:18 pm

How about a desktop application, is that at all possible?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Compositor, MoIP was written to make Exetel VoiP simpler to do on mobile phones. On desktops the competition is fierce, see for example the SIP phones listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ne_clients. I know of more than are listed. My favourite is Twinkle. The most widely used is probably X-Lite. Only the paid-for softphones, like Bria, https://secure.counterpath.com/Store/co ... oductId=73, include the important but proprietary G.729 audio codec.

compositor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by compositor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Dazzled

I've been using phonerlite with the GSM codec and it's ok downstream but I am kind of pushing it uphill if you know what I mean, so was wondering if HSUPA as in the E176 would help, even if I was using a desktop since it seems Exetel have some pretty good VoIP plans but I'm likely more interested in MoIP if it can be configured to work on a desktop somehow.

Thank you

samarium
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:17 am

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by samarium » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm

compositor wrote:Hi Dazzled

I've been using phonerlite with the GSM codec and it's ok downstream but I am kind of pushing it uphill if you know what I mean, so was wondering if HSUPA as in the E176 would help, even if I was using a desktop since it seems Exetel have some pretty good VoIP plans but I'm likely more interested in MoIP if it can be configured to work on a desktop somehow.

Thank you
Pick a desktop VOIP program, preferably with G.729, and configure it using your exetel VOIP/MOIP settings.

If you want SMS on the desktop, I believe exetel has a java program for that.

ljp
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by ljp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:59 pm

How do I get this working on the e71

I've followed the standard guide but keep getting registration failed messages!
SMS works fine.

Regards,

LJP

ShaminG
Exetel Staff
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by ShaminG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 pm

ljp wrote:I've followed the standard guide but keep getting registration failed messages!
SMS works fine.
Could you please PM your service number to support you with the setup

compositor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by compositor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 am

samarium wrote:If you want SMS on the desktop, I believe exetel has a java program for that.
Really where?

I believe a company called PennyTel offer it via the handset and I'm kind of dismayed that Exetel only support one companys' devices eg Nokia.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by jokiin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm

compositor wrote:
samarium wrote:If you want SMS on the desktop, I believe exetel has a java program for that.
Really where?

I believe a company called PennyTel offer it via the handset and I'm kind of dismayed that Exetel only support one companys' devices eg Nokia.

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/send_ ... exeSMS.php

you mentioned desktop, what device were you wanting to do it from? There are other solutions as well

compositor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by compositor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Jokiin,

Looks good, I hope the whole website can take on that look :)

Desktop is good, but I'd really like to have a J2ME application that would in the very least allow me to send SMS, obtain account balance etc, and on more sophisticated handsets use MoIP or simple VoIP, since I believe the Android OS blocks 3G IP calls by default.

Thank you

P.S. I tried to login to that screen https://www.exetel.com.au/members/hosti ... domain.php but got nothing, so is it for hosting or only domains?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by jokiin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 pm

compositor wrote:Hi Jokiin,

Looks good, I hope the whole website can take on that look :)

Desktop is good, but I'd really like to have a J2ME application that would in the very least allow me to send SMS, obtain account balance etc, and on more sophisticated handsets use MoIP or simple VoIP, since I believe the Android OS blocks 3G IP calls by default.

Thank you

P.S. I tried to login to that screen https://www.exetel.com.au/members/hosti ... domain.php but got nothing, so is it for hosting or only domains?
not familiar with the hosting link as it's not something I've used or had anything to do with, perhaps someone else can advise

I have an Android handset but don't use it for this so have never looked into it, for iPhone and Nokia there are other solutions about, I know the Colby program was popular with Nokia users http://home.exetel.com.au/colbyit/

compositor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by compositor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Hello,

So can Colby IT make something that does calls as well, ie in JAVA rather than supporting only one paradigm.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by jokiin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 pm

compositor wrote:Hello,

So can Colby IT make something that does calls as well, ie in JAVA rather than supporting only one paradigm.
that's just an SMS program, there are others that do voice and SMS although I'm not familiar with any that so that on the Android platform at the moment, to be honest though I haven't actually looked for it on the Android platform either

Need2No
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Shalvey Exchange, NSW

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by Need2No » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 pm

compositor wrote: Desktop is good, but I'd really like to have a J2ME application that would in the very least allow me to send SMS, obtain account balance etc, and on more sophisticated handsets use MoIP or simple VoIP, since I believe the Android OS blocks 3G IP calls by default.
On my Android mobile I use csipsimple to make calls via WiFi when I'm home and 3G when I'm out. Although I have noticed that I require pretty close to max 3G signal strength to get a reliable voip connection. For SMS I use Websms + an Exetel connector and SMSDroid all available from the Google market, this way I can use Exetels cheap web sms function. For my mobile data usage I use MyUsage app.

Regards

granny12
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by granny12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi,
I use an Android phone with csipsimple and websms.
I don't use any other provider at all, I have found it works really well which is great as it is my only mobile phone.
After receiving lots of help from these forums my only problem is from my mobile its self.
Regards Granny12

Post Reply