jollyg

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by jollyg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:34 am

Any news on the status of the Nokia version

jylan

Post by jylan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

jollyg wrote:Any news on the status of the Nokia version
+1 - I submitted a request for the beta version through my control panel, are those requests being responded to at the moment or is Exetel just waiting until the official application is out?

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:34 am

jylan wrote:
jollyg wrote:Any news on the status of the Nokia version
are those requests being responded to at the moment ?
Probably not, I submitted several requests with no response when I rang a few weeks back I was told "soon"

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 am

The Exetel MoIP application on the Symbian platform is planned for release this Friday.

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 am

The application can be requested via the members facilities

If ordering from a HSPA account then it can be found under -> VOIP then select ExetelMoIP

If ordering from a ADSL account then it can be found under -> Manage Services- VOIP --> select ExetelMoIP

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

So can we test it before paying $2 for it? I was in all the beta tests and gave lots of feedback about it's use on a nokia 6120 classic but didn't get it working to satisfaction. (Personally I think the phone is underpowered computational-wise rather than any issue with the MOIP application.)

cubic

Post by cubic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:11 am

thomashouseman wrote:(Personally I think the phone is underpowered computational-wise rather than any issue with the MOIP application.)
I don't think so - its CPU is identical to the N78's, and it works ok with other VoIP software, given an adequate connection. But the OS is Series 60 3rd Ed. FP1, like the N82 and N95, which presumably work with ExeMoip(?) so I don't see any obvious reason for the problems with this specific model.

Question to shermanf: Having tried before and found it didn't work with the 6121, is it worth applying again to retest this version or should we expect no change?
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 am

cubic wrote: I don't think so - its CPU is identical to the N78's, and it works ok with other VoIP software, given an adequate connection. But the OS is Series 60 3rd Ed. FP1, like the N82 and N95, which presumably work with ExeMoip(?) so I don't see any obvious reason for the problems with this specific model.
Hmm, I didn't know that... I truly do hope all the issues I raised were actioned upon in this latest release, but I have no idea. No-one from Exetel replied to any of the feedback I left or asked for more info so I just don't know...
cubic wrote: Question to shermanf: Having tried before and found it didn't work with the 6121, is it worth applying again to retest this version or should we expect no change?
+1 (6120 and 6121's are very similar)

Markovich

Post by Markovich » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 am

Phone: Nokia E51 / S60 3rd Edition FP1

Initial tests (VoIP and SMS) are very positive on this E51, with VoIP registration and call progress fast and efficient, and likewise with SMS transmission.

Call quality on a call from the E51 to my home landline was excellent on the mobile itself (fidelity and reliability), and good (reduced sound fidelity, a little less "smooth") on the return leg from landline to mobile.

Questions:
1. When I tested placing a call directly from the phone's call register (Contact List), the phone reported no VoIP registration available for the call. Am I right in assuming there is no integration of ExeMoIP with the phone's OS to this level, and that all calls must be placed directly from the application?

2. Can anyone comment on the power consumption if ExeMoIP is started on boot-up and left running continuously registered in the background?

3. Can ExeMoIP be used on a LAN? (preference being to set BirdStep SmartConnect as the APN, and have ExeMoIP connect via LAN when available and HSPA otherwise)

Overall, this is an excellent result here because Exetel VoIP stopped working on this phone via the built-in VoIP capability some time ago. It worked (along with PennyTel as backup) for some months after original set-up, but for some unknown reason Exetel VoIP simply stopped registering (network error), while PennyTel continued working fine. After some considerable effort (and with Exetel Support unable to provide any useful feedback) I eventually just gave up. This development will certainly lead to more Exetel VoIP utilisation here.

notoriousft

Post by notoriousft » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 pm

I have two comments:
1-During the call you cannot see the call duration.
2-You cannot put the call on loudspeaker.

Other than those so far so good, both for sms and calls.
BTW, handset is Nokia N85.

rjedw

Post by rjedw » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

shermanf wrote:The Exetel MoIP application on the Symbian platform is planned for release this Friday.
Well did the application get released?

I too, am interested whether someone has it going on a Nokia 6120?

jylan

Post by jylan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Haven’t had a chance to play around with or test the app much today but from what I’ve seen it it’s pretty good!

Setup was simple (accepted my SIP Number and Password for the call settings), and it registered straight away. It doesn’t seem to have any problems running on my e63. I did notice however that my battery is almost totally flat tonight. I installed the app around 12pm and left it running in the background. Phone usage was very low, maybe ½ an hour of Joikuspot in the morning and that’s it.

How has everyone else found battery usage?

fester

Post by fester » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 pm

I have just installed it onto my Nokia 6120 classic, but to call someone or send someone a message you cant view the phone book, you have to manually type their number.
I can send via the phonbook using the old exesms application.

hotdish

Post by hotdish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Fester have you actually spoken using a 6120c and the Moip app?