Billion 7404VGPX - unreliable connection with Huawei 1762e

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Stumper

Billion 7404VGPX - unreliable connection with Huawei 1762e

Post by Stumper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi
I've been connected to a 3G plan for less than a week. The Huawei 1762e seems prettty good. I've had speeds up to 4.1Mbps just out of Orange NSW. But the connection has been very fragile since plugging in the Billion 7404 which I need for VoIP as there is no landline to the property I'm living at (and I'm not gunna pay for a 400m trench to be dug from the road to the house to get a landline in - what a blessing to say goodbye to telstra!!) The connection drops out regularly and when it does I often cannot get it back on. It comes back on at it's own reckoning, randomly some time later.

On the 3G status page for the Billion it can show a signal strength of 5 out of 10 bars at the same time that there is no connection. (Signal strength doesn't seem to relate to download speed. Right now I'm on 8 bars signal stregnth but only getting 1.4Mbps. Does that mean other people are using up the network and slowing it down?)

Any ideas what I should be looking for to get the Billion more stable?

Thanks
Stumper
Last edited by Stumper on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Billion 7404VGPX - unreliable connection with Huawei 1762e

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:32 pm

From Exetel's website:
"Speed across any wireless network will always vary due to distance, signal strength of the device used to connect and the number of concurrent users on any particular tower at any particular time of day."

I can't help with the Billion, but the drop outs interest me. I have only used HSPA on Linux, and have never personally experienced a drop out, although the laptop system disconnects when I've finished a VoIP call and browsing, and reconnects later when needed - it's quite transparent, although you might detect a slight delay when you ask for a website. Obviously the softphone (twinkle) is not usually left on with this arrangement, and that may be the difference. Some Windows users report that a repeating ping on Google from a separate process will keep the connection up if the tower thinks you have gone away. It seems that at busy times the towers shed users who aren't doing anything.

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Dazzled, thanks again for your help today.

"a repeating ping on Google"

I just did a quick google search on this and couldn't see much, and what I did see looked out of my depth, or at least out of my current knowledge - I'd have to learn something really new!!.

"How to make a batch file to ping 1 IP every 3 Minutes.??? "

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.win ... 88dc?pli=1

Can you tell me how I set this up please? Or send me in the right direction.
Last edited by Stumper on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Stumper wrote:Dazzled, thanks again for your help today.

"a repeating ping on Google"

I just did a quick google search on this and couldn't see much. Can you tell me how I set this up please? Or send me in the right direction.
open a command prompt and enter ping www.google.com -t

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm

If you use Windows, see CoreyPlover in the discussion at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... ab#p257081 (and elsewhere in the forum). For Linux ping -i <secs>.

Edit: Your Google groups article was about burying the ping command in an endless loop in a batch command - an antique feature from simple old DOS imported into Windows. It is very simple to learn.
Last edited by Dazzled on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks jokiin
I've got that running now but it's pinging constantly. Can I change the time so it does it less frequently (eg once a minute or something like that) to reduce the amount of data consumed? Or is that not an issue, being so small 32 bytes a ping? Also, if I just shut down the command promp will it keep pinging - and therefore when I do want to stop it how do I?
Stumper

EDIT: of course that would mean I'd need to leave the PC on all the time wouldn't it - generally I turn mine off at night - I guess that means I wouldn't get midnight calls!! Possibly a plus.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Stumper wrote:
EDIT: of course that would mean I'd need to leave the PC on all the time wouldn't it - generally I turn mine off at night - I guess that means I wouldn't get midnight calls!! Possibly a plus.
yes, needs the PC on, there are also some VoIP related settings on your router that you can shorten which will check for registration which will help to alleviate this problem, have a look at your register expire time, it's probably on or about 3600, drop it down to 240 and it will check for registration to the SIP server every 4 minutes instead of every hour

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

That's a tops idea. It was at 3600 and I'm just changing in to 240.

Edit: . . . but I tell you what, this Billion GUI system sucks. 3 times now I've changed it from 3600 to 240, "applied", "saved config" and "restarted" once, go back to it and it says 3600 again!!.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Stumper wrote:That's a tops idea. It was at 3600 and I'm just changing in to 240.

Edit: . . . but I tell you what, this Billion GUI system sucks. 3 times now I've changed it from 3600 to 240, "applied", "saved config" and "restarted" once, go back to it and it says 3600 again!!.
yeah I'm not really a fan of some of these Billion models, they certainly have their fair share of quirks, have a look if it's something that can be set from the command line interface as that's generally reported to be more reliable (where that's an appropriate option at least)

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:54 pm

What is the command line interface and how do I access it etc.

sable

Post by sable » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 am

Stumper wrote:That's a tops idea. It was at 3600 and I'm just changing in to 240.

I also do not like new interface, make sure you are in Edit before you do anything.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 am

Stumper wrote:What is the command line interface and how do I access it etc.
via telnet (I think) but you'd be better to check the Billion forums for clarification

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:47 am

There's a couple of settings on the 3G WAN Profile page, that may or may not help...

Mode - set to UMTS only
Connection - Always On
Keep Alive - Enable

Not sure if the "keep alive" function does a periodic ping or not

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am

IanS wrote:There's a couple of settings on the 3G WAN Profile page, that may or may not help...

Mode - set to UMTS only
Connection - Always On
Keep Alive - Enable

Not sure if the "keep alive" function does a periodic ping or not
Yes I suspected also that "Keep Alive" may do a periodic ping but this is another function I cannot get the Billion GUI to stay enabled (like reducing the expire time from 3600 to 240). Once I do it and go thru the Billion "Save Config", "Apply", "Restart" process and then come back to it the "Keep Alve" box is once again unchecked.

So I guess I need to figure out how to use the command line interface via telnet (whatever that is).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am

I'm not sure Billion publishes a CLI interface on the new series, but the simple way to find out what can be done now is to telnet into 192.168.1.254, usually on port 23, log in as admin, and issue the ? command. I don't use a Billion, but on my present Netcomm modem all the available commands are the standard ones for Linux networking, except for voice.

Edit: Vista disables telnet by default, you will have to enable it. Use telnet inquire commands by all means, but changing settings in Linux modems by telnet is not always newbie work.

Edit again: I did find a Billion knowledge base reference for dial plans by telnet at http://au.billion.com/helpdesk/index.ph ... &article=3