Billion 7404VGPX - unreliable connection with Huawei 1762e

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
sable

Re: Billion 7404VGPX - unreliable connection with Huawei 1762e

Post by sable » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I do not have a new model here to test.

If I remember right when I had similar issue, I pressed edit button, made the changes and pressed edit/save again.

Memory may not be that good but IanS who I think uses the same router may be able to help.

The new interface is not intuitive.

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:54 pm

We recently also 'upgraded' to an e1762 to use with a modem router - a Netcomm N3G005W. Previously, I had an e169 connected to this network and rarely, if ever did we have a dropout, now it can happen every few hours or so. One interesting observation is when we get one of these dropouts it isn't a normal dropout. The modem is still connected to the tower and is displaying the normal 3G cyan light. The modem router IP page also shows connectivity and a good signal strength, typically 48-58%, Yet no data is fowing through the network neither up nor down. The remedy in our case is to remove the e1762 and promptly return it back to its USB port. So effectively, we're doing a modem re-boot, once the modem has gone through its start-up cycle it behaves as normal, thats until the next time the data flow comes to a screaming halt. Funnily, this happens mostly while we're actually busy using the internet and not during idle times.

Not sure if any of this relevent to the OP, but for us the issue seems to be with the e1762 and not network. As I've already mentioned, we had the e169 with the same setup and it was fine, only a bit slower mainly with uploads.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Ozbrit, which OS goes with the e1762 drop out? It's not happened to the modem I use, and I'd like to look into it for my own sake. Ours spends a lot of time sitting on blue, but goes straight to cyan when we ask for a web page or start a VoIP call.

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Okay I've had connection all day today and it was probably the "Keep Alive" function mentioned above by IanS.

I couldn't get "Keep Alive" to stay enabled but Quentin from Whirlpool wrote:
"After changing settings you need to [scroll down and] press "apply" first & then "save config", settings should then be retained."

I asked:
"Does the "Keep Alive" function mean it wont disconnect or should I also do the expire time reduction from 3600 to 240?"

And he replied:
"This will keep the connection active as long as signal strength is sufficient. The expire time is for voip re-registration & isn't related to connection."

So far it's been great all day.

It has also been said by Quentin regarding having the USB modem plugged into an extension usb cable:
"Using the USB cable allows you to move the 3G modem to maximise signal strength."

Cheers
Stumper

EDIT: Three days on and I think it's only dropped out once and that wasn't for too long.
Last edited by Stumper on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Dazzled wrote:Ozbrit, which OS goes with the e1762 drop out? It's not happened to the modem I use, and I'd like to look into it for my own sake. Ours spends a lot of time sitting on blue, but goes straight to cyan when we ask for a web page or start a VoIP call.
Well the desktop is XP and on the laptop is Vista. Cheers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks for that ozbrit. That means you are using the driver software that comes with the modem. We are not, but I will still spend some time later (when I'm actually allowed on the laptop) trying to replicate it.

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Dazzled, am I missing something here? I've configured the netcomm 3G router to access exetel direct to the tower and the Huawei software is not used. Internet data is distributed wirelessly on my network and by ethernet to our desktop.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:07 am

No ozbrit, I missed it. Neither of us is using the Windows software that comes with the modem, so we can't blame that.

If anyone ever lets me have it long enough to look closely, ours is a Linux laptop with Linux doing the work, not the supplied software. We don't remove the dongle, but I have noticed it always drops from cyan to blue when the data stops passing. It goes cyan again immediately it's wanted, so all's well.

Yours is attached to a Linux-powered router, and not to your Windows computer. For us, wvdial is an accessible executable on our computer, and not part of the kernel, but yours (or equivalent) is located somewhere in the router. It would be interesting to see the router settings, but you would be restricted to telnet to the router IP. To find the available commands, log in and type ? - most will be standard Linux networking utilities. Billion is a world-wide brand, so there might be something reported about this on the net.

Edit: I can find booting problems - they all are a little different though - people are having difficulties with remote monitoring where nothing much happens. Here is one booting comment http://au.billion.com/forums/index.php? ... entry68715

justharves

Post by justharves » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Stumper
I'm not sure if you are still reading this thread but I am VERY interested in the discussion.
I also have a Billion 7404vgpx router with 1762E modem (purchased the router from MNF and the modem from Exetel).
The reaso ni purchased the 1762E was for future (hopefully) upgrade to the network. I'm running with XP Pro.

My tower is direct line of sight and I can almost throw a stone at it (les than 1K) but my problem is VERY slow download speeds.
I get line speeds of between 600Kbps up to 2.3Mbps but download speeds as low as 40 Kbps (this is less than dialup).

I've tried the changes to my router and also connot get the changes to "stick".

Another problem I have is with dropouts when I phone another user with the same hardware setup (router and modem)

Stumper

Post by Stumper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm

justharves wrote:I get line speeds of between 600Kbps up to 2.3Mbps but download speeds as low as 40 Kbps (this is less than dialup).

I've tried the changes to my router and also connot get the changes to "stick".
Hi justharves

re the speed issue, I'll just ask but you may know this so don't be offended, line speed is measured in kilobits and download speed is measure in kilobytes. There are 8 kilobits per kilobytes? So if your line speed is 600 kilobits per second divide that by 8 and that's equivalent to a download speed of 75 kilobytes per second.

re the modem changes to sitck have a look at this whirlpool thread:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 357765&p=2

My system has proved to be quite reliable now.

Good luck
Stumper