VOIP over 3G

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
jollyg

VOIP over 3G

Post by jollyg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Not sure which section to post this in, this one or the VOIP section just after a bit of guidance.
Have a WMA plan which I am using on a Nokia E63
EXESMS works fine
Fring works when calling a PSTN no problems at all
when I use Fring to call the VOIP service I have on my ADSL service (both Exetel) I cannot hear the person on the other end, they can hear me no problem.
when I use my VOIP service on my ADSL2 to call the VOIP sevice on on my WMA service it works fine.
I have not had a chance yet to call any other VOIP services.
Any ideas anyone might have would be appreciated

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP over 3G

Post by jokiin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:39 pm

jollyg wrote: Any ideas anyone might have would be appreciated
most likely a codec negotiation issue, have you tried the Exetel VoIP software that's available to suit your phone, I think you will find it works better than Fring, login to your account and go here https://www.exetel.com.au/hspa/moip_app ... ink=link08 to request a copy

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Yes sent a request for that today will give it a go
thanks

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Anyone know how long it takes to get the VoIP app have called a couple of times and been told soon?

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

jollyg wrote:Anyone know how long it takes to get the VoIP app have called a couple of times and been told soon?
Looks like it will be available on Monday

notoriousft

Post by notoriousft » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Try Nimbuzz, I'm using it on Nokia N85 over 3G and wireless internet with no problems, but I dont use Exetel as my first VoIP.

Colin2905

Post by Colin2905 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:10 pm

On my E63 I'm using the native SIP client for VoIP (with the utility installed that allows you to specify the codec, etc), ColbySMS for the few SMS's that I send (Exetel as first choice, at 5¢, with MaxoTel as a backup, at 8¢), and Nimbuzz only to gain access to Windows Messenger (the supplied client doesn't work).

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Colin2905 wrote:On my E63
how do you find that model (I know you're an experienced VoIPer so value your feedback) I have a second phone I use which is a Nokia which has just about given up the ghost, the screen is dieing on me, I'm looking around at what to replace it with and the E63 seems like it might be a good all rounder, I'm currently using a Samsung for my second phone which is convenient as it's a dual SIM model but it's only 2G so a bit limited at the same time

Colin2905

Post by Colin2905 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:03 pm

I've only had my E63 for a few weeks, but I like it. If only it could sync my Outlook e-mail, then I could replace my Palm Treo 500 completely. It was bad enough when I was carrying two 'phones around (work mobile and Palm); now I'm often carrying three.

The E63 that I bought was locked to Vodafone (it was on special at Target last month), and it's only recently that I've paid for it to be unlocked and have been able to play VoIP over Exetel/Optus 3G, but so far so good.

Optus has recently started selling the E63 as a pre-paid, and I picked up another one today for my daughter (she's using TPG). There's a report on Whirlpool that they're not locked, but I haven't checked hers yet; it never occurred to me to try! (She's out tonight, otherwise I would've since tried a Vodafone or Telstra SIM.... I've got plenty to choose from.)

Even if it is locked to Optus, it's not an issue in this case. She'll be using TPG for the foreseeable future, and in six months time Optus will unlock it without the $80 fee anyway (I activated the included SIM at the store, just for that reason). Anyone thinking of using one with WM A would be in the same boat.

If you have any questions, fire away!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Colin2905 wrote: Optus has recently started selling the E63 as a pre-paid,
yes I noticed them at $199 which seems like a fair price, particularly if it works well for VoIP, I have VoIP on my iPhone anyway but as I use two handsets it's convenient to have it available on both, I haven't had a look at it yet though so still not sure about the size

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:33 pm

jokiin wrote:
Colin2905 wrote:On my E63
how do you find that model
It has one downside which is a maximum speed WCDMA 384/384 kbps (DL/UL).
Colin2905 wrote:If only it could sync my Outlook e-mail
http://email.nokia.com/ application could be an alternative? I use it for my exemail account.

Colin2905

Post by Colin2905 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

384/384 is plenty for VoIP, especially when using G.729 or some other low-bandwidth codec. For browsing on the handset on the go, it's enough for me. If I feel the need to go faster, and the situation suits, I can always take my netbook with me and use one of my 3G USB dongles (I have a second WM A SIM).

I'm trialling the Nokia e-mail app at the moment (it's free for the first month, it said), but it still doesn't have the sync functionality that I like about the Palm.

And I checked my daughter's E63 that I bought from Optus yesterday, and it is actually unlocked already.

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Is Optus 3G reliable enough when you're not in a Wifi zone guys?

How are people finding call quality and the reliability of the Optus 3G network in metro areas? :)

I'm in Brisbane and intend to be using 3G in areas within 5km of CBD.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm

plasmapuff wrote:Is Optus 3G reliable enough when you're not in a Wifi zone guys?

How are people finding call quality and the reliability of the Optus 3G network in metro areas? :)

I'm in Brisbane and intend to be using 3G in areas within 5km of CBD.
I live on the outskirts of Melbourne and I regularly travel throughout Melbourne and personally find it hit and miss, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

If you are confident with your VoIP setup then it is worth the effort, you will still save money.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM