So long and thanks for all the fish.

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Post Reply
dov
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 am
Location: Aus

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by dov » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Just canceled my HSPA service with Exetel and want to say thanks for the great support here in the forums. Unfortunately I have never been able to recommend Exetel for anyone without fairly sound technical knowledge as the official support team is utterly useless and very, very poorly trained. Even with the great price that Exetel offers, the weekly Thursday night slow-to-a-crawl coupled with the poor service makes it a mugs option. All in all though I just don't use it anymore.

Some of the guys in the main office are brilliant and I want to say thanks to the guys who have helped me out when the official support team has hidden their ignorance (very poorly) by repeating scripts like a mantra.

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:02 pm

So sad that it should come to this
We tried to warn you all but oh dear?

You may not share our intellect
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that
grow around you

So long, so long and thanks
for all the fish...

Munka
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Rural NSW

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by Munka » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:40 pm

thomashouseman wrote: So long, so long and thanks
for all the fish...
And my personal favourite :D
"Oh No, Not Again"

Ah the lucidity of your common house plant.
Good luck OP with your ISP journey :D
Munka

Tim K

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by Tim K » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 pm

dov wrote:Just canceled my HSPA service with Exetel and want to say thanks for the great support here in the forums. Unfortunately I have never been able to recommend Exetel for anyone without fairly sound technical knowledge as the official support team is utterly useless and very, very poorly trained. Even with the great price that Exetel offers, the weekly Thursday night slow-to-a-crawl coupled with the poor service makes it a mugs option. All in all though I just don't use it anymore.
Are you please able to PM me your HSPA service number so I can have a look at whats happened?

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by vk3xem » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:31 pm

The BIG problem I think most of us have with HSPA is the CAPACITY on the Optarse network.

It reminds me of the early days of GSM where I had numerous dropouts on the Optarse network. After numerous 112 dropouts one day during an emergency I walked into the Optarse store and threw the phone at them and told them where to go and then walked into a Vodafone store across the road and got a new phone with them.

Simple fact of the matter is Optarse is dragging the chain on upgrading capacity to enable everyone to make use of data plans and as a result we have a shit service, VoIP over HSPA is pathetic and rarely can I make or receive these calls successfully.

I'm sticking with my HSPA service as it is still cost effective and data isn't mission critical for me.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by James » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:44 am

vk3xem wrote:The BIG problem I think most of us have with HSPA is the CAPACITY on the Optarse network.

It reminds me of the early days of GSM where I had numerous dropouts on the Optarse network. After numerous 112 dropouts one day during an emergency I walked into the Optarse store and threw the phone at them and told them where to go and then walked into a Vodafone store across the road and got a new phone with them.

Simple fact of the matter is Optarse is dragging the chain on upgrading capacity to enable everyone to make use of data plans and as a result we have a shit service, VoIP over HSPA is pathetic and rarely can I make or receive these calls successfully.

I'm sticking with my HSPA service as it is still cost effective and data isn't mission critical for me.
They did spend more than $1,500,000.00 last year on upgrades, but none of the providers was ready for the explosive growth encountered in wireless broadband/3G sales.

tin
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Northwest NSW
Contact:

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by tin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:54 pm

vk3xem wrote:I walked into the Optarse store and threw the phone at them and told them where to go and then walked into a Vodafone store across the road and got a new phone with them.
From bad to worse? Or is Vodafone's capacity coping because no one wants their lack of coverage?

vk3xem wrote:Simple fact of the matter is Optarse is dragging the chain on upgrading capacity to enable everyone to make use of data plans and as a result we have a shit service, VoIP over HSPA is pathetic and rarely can I make or receive these calls successfully.
They did build from 0 though, and now have near the coverage of Telstra. Telstra had so much provided for them by the government that it's not funny. NextG may not have had any funding directly from the government, but the existing towers and cell sites were a massive head start. Optus has had to do all that for themselves... And Vodafone - well we all know how much they've bothered.


Edit: That's not to say I don't think Optus could do some work. They're slow here too, though less bad than in city areas. I'd love to see some faster speeds out our way, but I'm happy to just be patient. Chances are in the next 6-12 months, most of the congestion issues will start disappearing as they expand again.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

Klaas
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post by Klaas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:05 pm

I think it was in an SMH Business Day insert advert today, that Optus were stating they were spending $1billion per year, to put up additional towers at the rate of three or four a day, both in new areas, and to improve existing areas.

Getting the network up to speed from zero, as Tin says, it a pretty good feat.

Post Reply