Mobile on WIA HSPA

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
BJohnston

Mobile on WIA HSPA

Post by BJohnston » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi all.

I generally like to figure all this stuff out for my self but am having trouble getting my head around it.

As the title says I have The WIA plan with the Huawei E1762 and it works well. What I need to know is can I take the SIM from the Huawei and use it in my new mobile phone to send and receive mobile phone calls?

I would love to have been able to use voip on the mobile but alas the Nokia E72-1 comes without a SIP app installed and it appears as though the Exetel moip app is no longer available as I have applied three time now and received no joy.

I guess if I cant go this way I will just have to sign up for a mobile plan.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Mobile on WIA HSPA

Post by jokiin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

BJohnston wrote:Hi all.

I generally like to figure all this stuff out for my self but am having trouble getting my head around it.

As the title says I have The WIA plan with the Huawei E1762 and it works well. What I need to know is can I take the SIM from the Huawei and use it in my new mobile phone to send and receive mobile phone calls?

I would love to have been able to use voip on the mobile but alas the Nokia E72-1 comes without a SIP app installed and it appears as though the Exetel moip app is no longer available as I have applied three time now and received no joy.

I guess if I cant go this way I will just have to sign up for a mobile plan.
no, the WMA plan is the one that can make mobile calls, your plan doesn't offer outgoing cellular calls

BJohnston

Post by BJohnston » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks Jokiin, Thats pretty much what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Will have to go and order a WMA plan,or work out how to get voip working.

BJohnston

Post by BJohnston » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Just getting things straight in my poor old brain.
The WMA plan works as a straight mobile phone with the abbility to use the phone as a data modem as well, I dont need voip to make mobile calls?
Sorry if these are silly questions but I already have a new phone that won't do what I thought it would even after what I thought was a lot of research so it is better to ask.

ahas

Post by ahas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi

The WI plans are intended to be used in a usb stick.
They can be used for data, sms & incoming mobile calls. Outgoing calls are only available via VOIP.
Can be a good option in a mobile if you want all outgoing calls to made via VOIP only.
The Exetel MOIP application is being released on Monday (announced today elsewhere in the forum). Perhaps you could hold off until then & give that a try.

The WM plans are intended to be used in a 3G enabled mobile phone and can be used for data, sms and outgoing/incoming mobile calls. VOIP calls are optional.

Hope this clarifies things for you

Regards
Anne

ahas

Post by ahas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:58 pm

BJohnston wrote:alas the Nokia E72-1 comes without a SIP app installed
For some nokia phones, you need to download the nokia sip settings application available at http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.noki ... tings.html

I had to do this for my E71 to get the native voip client in the E71 to work

BJohnston

Post by BJohnston » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info mate, I was just in the middle of writing an email to provisioning to ask what the go was and enquire about a WMA plan just to get the phone going but I will hold of for a few more days.

It's not an urgent problem as I have my Telstra sim in the phone at the moment and it functions as a phone useing GSM but that is not what I brought the phone for.

As for the Nokia SIP settings app, I did download and install it.
I got a message during the install that it was not compatable with this phone but installed anyway. It is a dogs breakfast to setup or it didn't install properly as I could not make head nor tail of it so pretty much gave up on it.

But like I said, if I cant get the Exetel moip app I will just go with a WMA plan.

Just on the WMA plans, it states that I can port my old Telstra number accross, do I have to do anything with Telstra or will it all be taken care of by Exetel when I put my application in, just like it does for an ADSL churn

ahas

Post by ahas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 pm

BJohnston wrote:Just on the WMA plans, it states that I can port my old Telstra number accross, do I have to do anything with Telstra or will it all be taken care of by Exetel when I put my application in, just like it does for an ADSL churn
Exetel will take care of it