Sierra 8775 in Lenovo X300

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
tomartomau

Sierra 8775 in Lenovo X300

Post by tomartomau » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new to Exetel and new to wireless broadband.
I am having problems connecting to the internet using the imbeded Sierra Module.

Here is what I have tried so far;
1. Rang Exetel and asked for assistance (using the mobile broadband connection manager[lenovo) and whilst the modem is being detected and a signal of 72% it still failed to connect.
2. Rang Lenovo, no help... has never assisted anyone doing the wireless connection, though the computer was shipped with this installed?
3. Have tries to download Sierra Watcher software but I cannot find the version specific to this model, or an alternative generic one.
4. Have searched through the internet looking for answers.
5. I cannot connect through a modem (using a prefix #99***) as the laptop does not have a modem.

Please can someone assist.

P.S If someone can provide a generic Sierra Watcher software, or the software 'Watcher' for this model it would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards Tony

cubic

Re: Sierra 8775 in Lenovo X300

Post by cubic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 pm

tomartomau wrote:(using the mobile broadband connection manager[lenovo) and whilst the modem is being detected and a signal of 72% it still failed to connect.
So you have software that detects the built-in modem, the modem is working with the Exetel simcard (since you have a signal) but it's not connecting. What error do you get? Have you set the APN to "exetel1" somewhere in the connection manager setup?
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Sierra 8775 in Lenovo X300

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm

There are several Ubuntu references to people getting going on Exetel using Lenovo Thinkpads with Sierra cards. They used the usual exetel1 APN and *99***# as the phone number in Network Manager and off they went. Modern Ubuntu kernels have the sierra.ko module included by default. My own Thinkpad uses a Huawei though, as it's not flash enough for a built-in card.

I have no idea where you'd get a Windows driver though.
Edit: 3G_Watcher_Generic.msi seems to be widely available from non-official sources.