Post by cytec » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Prepaid:

Dodo $139 for 15gb HSPA 365 day expiry
Virgin $149 for 10gb HSPA 365 day expiry

Exetel Postpaid:
$37.50 for 5gb HSPA

Exetel Prepaid:
$90 for 6gb HSPA 90 day expiry

What annoys me is the high excess rates of 5 cents per excess mb or ($50 / gb).

If they don't increase the plan download allowance or make a higher cost / download plan I will be forced to change ISP's.

I think we need a 10gb post paid plan...

Mixer

Re: HSPA - Exetel are getting expensive!

Post by Mixer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:52 pm

cytec wrote:
What annoys me is the high excess rates of 5 cents per excess mb or ($50 / gb).
Sorry, I failed maths... but isnt that $5 per GB?
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

cytec

Post by cytec » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 pm

The point is that for persons who require more than 5gb per month exetel becomes very expensive. Virtually all other carriers including Telstra offer plans of at least 10gb.

Price is not an issue I dont mind paying what it costs. But I wont pay 5x the actual cost in excess fees.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:13 pm

I think Exetel needs a prepaid plan with 365 days expire as well.

cytec

Post by cytec » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:48 pm

One of the primary reasons that eXetel have been so successful is the low cost / high value factor.

A lot of technical people (that work in IT) use eXetel because of the high data allowances and low costs. If eXetel drive away those people by falling behind competitors offering plans more suitable, that would be a big change for eXetel.

Generally these technical people are the ones promoting eXetels services to other non technical people and it would be a shame if someone was offering a better deal OR more suitable plans.

As I said I am happy to pay for a 10 or even 15gb HSPA plan. Just make a plan and put a price on it!

This has only started happening over the last 6 - 12 months.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Problem is Optus won't let Exetel have more than 7GB a month.

.. and Exetel won't let us have more than 5GB a month because they can't seem to terminate services the moment they exceed their limits.

.. so Exetel is starting to fail in this area. They're probably too small to get better pricing from Optus - same as in Mobile.

The excess fees are too high for big users at $50 per gig. Better to go for someone who throttles if you need the downloads - otherwise you have to be eagle-eyed on your usage meter.

cytec

Post by cytec » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Its such a shame considering their major push into wireless broadband. If they had made the plans attractive enough to the technical people, they would probably have the free advertising needed to attract more customers.

If Exetel stop supporting the technical people, then they should be prepared to spend up big on advertising and start selling pre-configured modems etc....

Who do they think sets up the modems and stuff for non technical people?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 pm

cytec wrote:Its such a shame considering their major push into wireless broadband. If they had made the plans attractive enough to the technical people, they would probably have the free advertising needed to attract more customers.
there are a huge portion of low end users that only download up to 2gb per month, that's who the plans were initially aimed at, I think you'll find they are a bit restricted in what Optus will actually do for them on a wholesale level, you can't be all things to all people unfortunately