Bad Reception / Speed, what to do?

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
cpfred

Bad Reception / Speed, what to do?

Post by cpfred » Thu May 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Not really a question about support for the modems themselves. More to do with the Optus mobile network.

In my area (Grafton, NSW) the reception and speed we get with exetel wireless broadband is fairly poor. (I don't believe exetel is the problem here)
I know people in town who have optus wireless broadband as well, and they have the same problems.
Also, when staff travel out of town, and use our exetel wireless connection, they report excellent speed and responsiveness.

Optus's coverage maps show that the entire town is covered in 2100/900 3g network. But we still have locations (in the middle of town) where connecting can be a problem. (No hills, etc)
I believe Optus's network just isn't up-to-scratch in this region.

So, my question is what can I do about this? Does Optus care? If so, can I report these problems through exetel?
If I did, how would I know anything is being planned to fix it? It has got to the point where I cannot recommend any wireless solutions anymore.

I really don't want to swap our connections to telstra. They are not great either, but the NextG network does seem to work successfully around here.
But without a reliable connection I cannot see much choice.

Himantha
Exetel Staff

Re: Bad Reception / Speed, what to do?

Post by Himantha » Sat May 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Is it possible for you to send an e-mail to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au including a ping test to optusnet.com.au and the full address of the location, so that we can ask our supplier to investigate this issue?

cpfred

Re: Bad Reception / Speed, what to do?

Post by cpfred » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks for that.
I'll collect current details (pings, etc) from a couple of locations and then send it through.