Pre-Paid Question

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Cexitime

Pre-Paid Question

Post by Cexitime » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi :D

Just a quick question regarding pre-paid wireless.

I have a USB Wireless dongle that I purchased from Exetel that I was using while I was a travelling Tech, Now I only use the dongle on Optus pre-paid for when I go away 3 times a year to car shows.

Currently with Optus, They cancel the service after 2 months if you don't recharge, (I simply walk into the store and purchase another one with 1GB of data, The sim and new phone number comes free)

However Exetel is cheaper for pre-paid but you have to pay an activation fee and the sim gets sent out, Does the pre-paid sim have an expiry date if you don't recharge?

Klaas

Re: Pre-Paid Question

Post by Klaas » Wed May 26, 2010 7:58 am

I've just ordered a postpaid service, and there is a note in the sign up about no activity for two months means cancellation - as Exetel resell the Optus service that's a requirement from Optus Wholesale.

EDIT: From the pre-paid sign up page located here

"I understand that if there is no data usage within a TWO CONSECUTIVE CALENDAR MONTHLY period, that Exetel may cancel the service within 30 working days after this period following email notification to the nominated address in the Secure User Facilities."

Cexitime

Post by Cexitime » Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 am

Ahh Thanks Klaas

Guess I'll just stick to buying the sim cards every time from Optus

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed May 26, 2010 11:33 am

Note that the Exetel requirement is usage, not recharge. So if you just plug in the dongle and check your email every month or two, you're covered. For low usage you should consider the post-paid plans too - at $60 per year plus usage ($5pm) one of those could work out no more expensive and much less hassle than buying 3 new Optus SIMs a year.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams