Slow connection and Really bad VOIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
ozbrit

Re: Slow connection and Really bad VOIP

Post by ozbrit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm pleased to hear that Gran, I'm not talking about a factory reset here, just how you might be able to get the software amendments to stick. I never do a factory reset, the save settings mode will do the job as well.

When you say skype, do you mean the Company itself or do you use the term much like we hoover our homes even if we use a Dyson or Volta? If you have Exetel broadband you get a free VOIP call allowance from them, right!

I also voip with Exetel and Pennytel and find the following codec plan works well: Priority 1 - PCMA(G.711 A-Law), Priority 2 - PCMU(G.711 U-Law), Priority 3 - G.729. I think you have sufficient bandwidth available. Incidentally, with Voip, upload speeds are as equally important as the download figure, in this respect the E1762 modem is superior to the E169 one you use.

To access this, you select Advanced>Configuration>Voip>Phone port. After all changes hit apply>save configuration>apply>restart>current settings>restart.

Sometimes my Voip calls are fixed line quality and just when I start to think it's ideal, we get a run of crappy one's. ADSL internet is much better for Voip as someone has already pointed out, it's the latency (lag time) and jitter which causes us grief. The other day I did a test call to my wife on her mobile in the next room and there was a good 2 seconds delay between us hearing each other directly and on the phone. A bit like the delay you get on fta TV when switch between the analogue and digital same channel.

Regardless of the limitations of Voip over 3G, you can't beat a free 90 minute chat with your son in Victoria can ya! :D

granny1

Post by granny1 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi ozbrit,
By Skype I mean Video Call it was wonderful ....as we have 2 young G/Sons under 5.
The eldest one was that excited to see us that he was talking jibberish for a good 10 minutes before he calmed down enough to talk coherently....
I can't wait to get the E1762 as I am hoping it will pick up that bit I am missing.
We are using VOIP with Exetel and will hopefully be using MOIP shortly.
Just being able to see the brats occasionally makes all the difference.
Actually, we will be trying a Skype linkup to New Zealand later this evening, I will post how it goes.
Regards Granny

granny1

Post by granny1 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Ozbrit,
Well I am one happy camper, just got off Skype to our Son in NZ, it was a bit shaky at first but, it settled done and it was fantastic.
(Son is just setting up his system, he is going wireless as well) surprisingly he has a Sierra 306, so I think when our E1762 gets here we will have a really great link - up.
We skyped for just on 1 hour.
Very Happy.
Regards Granny

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Just keep on camping Gran :D