Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Postby jokiin on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We expect to be able to make tethering available 'soon'.

that would be good to see and will certainly add to the value of an Exetel service for anyone with an iPhone that doesn't want a contract, look forward to it
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby remoteone on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:42 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We expect to be able to make tethering available 'soon'.

Hi, is there an ETA on the Exetel iPhony4 Data Tethering?.. because this is one of two Manditory reasons I purchased an iphone4 for Exetel use. Only to find that in iOS4.1 access to APN and other settings are removed from the "Settings Menu"! I dont understand what is to be gained by Apple to keep imposing more limitations upon their own customers like this. So.. I'll need to Jailbreak the Dang thing if a JB comes out for iOS4.1.
Hmm ... warning to potential iPhone4 byers...
- No JB for 4.1
- Carrier Limited Data Tethering
- Still C-R-A-P battery life.. OK if your just using it as a Phone, but if you run Skype or a SIP app, youll need an Auxillary Battery, or Battery Skin. (this is my experience anyway).
- only half-baked Multitasking
Maybe I should have bought an Android (not a real one, but that would be handy) ?
But thats a whole new topic......

An indication of an ETA on the Exetel iOS4.1 Data Tethering would be handy, as I might as well dump this iPhone4 on eBay and buy a MID from a company that at least gives the impression that it has its customers needs in mind.
Cheers
Last edited by remoteone on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remoteone

Postby remoteone on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Guess its not "soon" yet?

(also, There is apparently now a JB for iOS 4.1. )
remoteone

Postby mycle on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Apparently the new Optus based mobile services tether out of the box - see here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37124#p283474
mycle

Postby remoteone on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 am

mycle wrote:Apparently the new Optus based mobile services tether out of the box - see here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37124#p283474

yeah we know.
So what the hell is going on with Exetel !!
Data Tethering is a MUST HAVE.
Even Telstra allow it now!
If I had a Nokia, I could data Tether on Exetel/optus. B...loody iPhone are making it so difficult to bypass the APN settings (etc) .
to get Iphone to tether w Exetel, Optus will need to provide Exetel with the ipcc files with the carrier.plist settings (etc) to get this happening.

This is p-i-s-s ing me off .
I bought THE most expensive phone (iPhone4) to access the exetel service only to find its limited.

Exetel need to announce a Estimated Time of Arrival of the Data Tethering function for iPhone!
Is it coming or NOT ? and When?

If your thinking of changing to the Exetel Optus service and NEED Tethering on your iphone ..... TETHERING IS NOT AVAILABLE with exetel on iPhone!
remoteone

Postby jokiin on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14 am

remoteone wrote:Even Telstra allow it now!

Telstra have always allowed it

remoteone wrote:If your thinking of changing to the Exetel Optus service and NEED Tethering on your iphone ..... TETHERING IS NOT AVAILABLE with exetel on iPhone!

not correct, iPhone tethering is not currently available on the Optus based HSPA plans, it is available on the Optus based cap plans though
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby crustyman on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Can someone help me get it working with my Iphone 3gs on one of the new Exetel Optus Cap Plans, it just keeps telling me I have to contact Optus to enable tethering?
crustyman

Postby jokiin on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:38 am

crustyman wrote:Can someone help me get it working with my Iphone 3gs on one of the new Exetel Optus Cap Plans, it just keeps telling me I have to contact Optus to enable tethering?

that shouldn't be the case but it's likely an Optus provisioning issue, best idea is open a support ticket so the appropriate person within Exetel can follow it up with Optus accordingly

You may need to go to Settings/General/Reset and reset your network settings to reload the correct carrier profile, may not be needed either but just mentioning it now just in case
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby crustyman on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Unfortunately this was my response from Support:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Regret to inform that we do not support Tethering.

Regards,

Nuranj

Exetel Pty Ltd
crustyman

Postby jokiin on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:24 pm

crustyman wrote:Unfortunately this was my response from Support:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Regret to inform that we do not support Tethering.

Regards,

Nuranj

Exetel Pty Ltd

ok, that's a direct contradiction to what has been said previously about the about the Optus based cap plans, I don't have one of those services to be able to confirm or deny but there have been posts from others on those plans saying it works, eg as confirmed by James in this thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37124 I'll see if I can get some clarification on this, if you had asked about an HSPA plan I know tethering still doesn't work on those, some confusion perhaps between the plans maybe, I'm not sure
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby crustyman on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Possibly a confusion but I specifically said I had an Exetel Optus Cap plan, rather frustrating when others have posted that theirs worked out of the box with tethering. If this doesn't work I'll be cancelling the plan and going back to Optus as at least I can use the data with my laptop instead of having to purchase a seperate modem/data plan.
crustyman

Postby jokiin on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:54 pm

crustyman wrote:Possibly a confusion but I specifically said I had an Exetel Optus Cap plan, rather frustrating when others have posted that theirs worked out of the box with tethering. If this doesn't work I'll be cancelling the plan and going back to Optus as at least I can use the data with my laptop instead of having to purchase a seperate modem/data plan.

I've asked someone to follow up on this for you, we should expect to hear from them tomorrow
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby crustyman on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for your assistance
crustyman

Postby ExetelVoice on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:50 am

Tethering is supported on the Exetel (via Optus) Cap and per minute plans.

It is not supported on the HSPA service.

The difference is layer 3 (supported) as opposed to layer 2 (not supported)
ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Postby jokiin on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:21 am

crustyman wrote:Thanks for your assistance

it should be working on your service, have asked someone to follow up with you to get it sorted, apologies for the confusion so far
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to HSPA connections