Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
JasonM

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by JasonM » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:44 pm

crustyman wrote:Thanks for your assistance
This issue should be resolved for you now, try rebooting your handset and then see if the issue continues.

crustyman

Post by crustyman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the help, It's on my wife's phone so I'll check it later on today and let you know, thanks again.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:22 pm

crustyman wrote:Thanks for all the help, It's on my wife's phone so I'll check it later on today and let you know, thanks again.
you may need to check for updates in iTunes and check for an updated carrier profile, let us know how you get on anyway and if still any issue, you should be good to go though

crustyman

Post by crustyman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:34 pm

All good thanks everyone, seems to be working fine now :)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

crustyman wrote:All good thanks everyone, seems to be working fine now :)
good stuff, thanks for confirming :)

remoteone

Post by remoteone » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Well there is a very good reason why I chose the BUSMA HSPA services over the "Capped" or "Per Minute" plans. These Plans are not competitive and the Excess data fees are no better than Optus' plans.
The Data Costs are OUTRAGEOUSLY too high. It appeared to me that the BUSMA plans suited our operation because we have Higher Data usage than Phone Call or SMS usage.... I searched for weeks to find what I thought to be a suitable plan, focused on 3G data provision via Mobile Phone Handset. Its only fair to expect that such a plan would provide a Data Tethering ability !!!

Per Minute Plan :*Data usage on these plans is charged at a rate of $0.24 per Mb. 3Gig/month on this plan will cost $720.00/month !!!!!!
Capped plan: $59 for 2Gig and $0.275 per MB excess data rate. so excess of gig/month will cost $275.00/month !!!!!!
BUSMA HSPA : Data is a flat rate of $0.015/ MB, 3Gig on this plan will cost excess of $45.00/month

So one way to prevent Exetel BUSMA customers from actually using the data is to not allow tethering.
This limitation is ridiculous.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 pm

remoteone wrote:
So one way to prevent Exetel BUSMA customers from actually using the data is to not allow tethering.
This limitation is ridiculous.
it's an Optus issue unfortunately, not a restriction by Exetel

remoteone

Post by remoteone » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah I know.
Good thing its a $0/mth service as otherwise we'd need to be asking for a refund..
Checked out the Business pages at exetel... eg.http://www.exetel.com.au/business_hspa.php and h[url]ttp://www.exetel.com.au/business-hspa-terms.php[/url] There's no mention of "Tethering" or "Tether" anywhere .. also no results searching for " Data Tethering not allowed" nor "No data tethering" nor "Tethering not supported" nor any other statement that would clarify/negate the assumption that this "mobile data service" (as it is called),which requires a mobile internet device such as an iPhone is actually NOT CAPABLE of being tethered.

Our assumption that DT was intrinsic to this service was gleaned from the statements:
Exetel's HSPA via Optus service is an ideal mobile data service...
&
...access to the internet via their laptop ....
Exetel just forgot to mention that its really NOT IDEAL as the BUSMA plan CANNOT be used to access the internet using a laptop!

The above statements pertain to the Exetel Business Wireless Broadband Services in general and not just the BUSBn plans.
So this is a case of False Advertising and misleading information.
The information provided on the relevant pages needs to be corrected..

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:32 pm

remoteone wrote: Exetel just forgot to mention that its really NOT IDEAL as the BUSMA plan CANNOT be used to access the internet using a laptop!
absolutely they can, just not from an iPhone, this is a limitation of Optus systems unfortunately, if it wasn't a layer 2 setup it would wok as it does on the Exetel Optus based CAP plans as this just uses the Optus network
remoteone wrote: The above statements pertain to the Exetel Business Wireless Broadband Services in general and not just the BUSBn plans.
So this is a case of False Advertising and misleading information.
The information provided on the relevant pages needs to be corrected..
the only thing that might need to be added is mention of tethering not being available from an iPhone (it can if jailbroken but not something that's promoted obviously), any other mobile that supports tethering will work fine on these plans, once again it's the way things are setup from Optus that makes it this way, when these plans where first made available tethering wasn't available on any iPhone so it wasn't something that was known about

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I agree with Jokiin. It wouldn't hurt to warn Iphone users of yet another limitation on that device, but let's not forget that tethered Iphones aren't exactly the mainstream of computing.

remoteone

Post by remoteone » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm

(it can if jailbroken but not something that's promoted obviously)
Tried also with a JB iPhone3 on iOS 3.1.2, tethering would not work .
I actually expected it would tether since the phone was previously used w Telstra SIM when telstra would not allow Tethering. But as soon as I Jailbroke it, tethering telstra worked ok. Not so for this Exetel BUSMA service unfortunately.
And i tried everything, setting up the carrier.plist files etc. No tethering on JB iphone 3 i'm afraid.
but let's not forget that tethered Iphones aren't exactly the mainstream of computing.
Not sure where you get the stats from for that somewhat unsubstantiated statement, but if you're correct, perhaps its because Apple make it so difficult for the end user to manage the APN settings etc. that its more a case that iPhone users CANT setup DTing as opposed to NOT WANTING to.

My question now is: Which MID/Phone do I buy so that I can use DT on these BUSMA plans I have for my business?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:12 am

remoteone wrote: Tried also with a JB iPhone3 on iOS 3.1.2, tethering would not work .
I actually expected it would tether since the phone was previously used w Telstra SIM when telstra would not allow Tethering. But as soon as I Jailbroke it, tethering telstra worked ok. Not so for this Exetel BUSMA service unfortunately.
And i tried everything, setting up the carrier.plist files etc. No tethering on JB iphone 3 i'm afraid.
plenty of people tether with the jailbreak, you must have been doing something wrong, Telstra would work because Telstra allow tethering on all plans anyway, no need for a jailbreak

hchau

Post by hchau » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm

hi crustyman,

is your iphone tethering still working? I just switched to the cap35 plan specifically for this feature and now am being told that it's "no longer available due to high demand/usage". I'm para-phrasing ofcourse.

just wondering if existing users have been cut off???

thanks.
crustyman wrote:All good thanks everyone, seems to be working fine now :)

mycle

Post by mycle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 am

Yep, mine's no longer working. Telstra is looking good right now.

tomdavies

Post by tomdavies » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm just bumping this topic to point out that now iPhones support a personal WiFi hotspot (which I believe is enabled in the same way as tethering).

The difference in value between a service which allows tethering and one which does not has just increased.

I have no idea what roadblocks face Exetel in enabling tethering, but I would certainly spend more on data if it was available.