New HSPA Plans

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

New HSPA Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 pm

We have made little progress in our 'negotiations' with mobile carriers to provide more attractive wireless services.

Before we give up altogether perhaps you could provide some feedback on the following:

Offer a 1:1 peak/off peak allowance at the same price we sell services today.

Off peak = 12 midnight to 7 am.

So if you were on a 2 gb service you would get an additional 2 gb of large file downloads after midnight and before 7 am at no additional charge.

David R
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 am
Location: Sydney

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by David R » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:29 pm

2GB/2GB/ $35.00/ 3MO ... then recycle

Would be nice
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

Tom B
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: North West Tas

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by Tom B » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 pm

I use an Exetel HSPA service as my primary internet connection. I have this connection set up using a Billion 7404VGPX and make the majority of my phone calls via voip and skype on this connection.

I have also set up several other people with the same set up. However I am on the old 8Gb plan which i can easily get by on, my friends were only able to connect upto a 5Gb plan at the time, and they do always push the limit.

What I would find of greater value under our circumstances if it were possible would be an included upload quota, even if it were only 10 to 20% of the inculuded download quota. For example on the 5Gb plan get 500mb of upload before the uploads started affecting the qouta for the month.

My 2c

Tom

Musicinbed
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by Musicinbed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Is there any chance exetel could move away from charging for uploads? Not entirely obviously, but maybe only charge the customer which ever is greater (download or upload)?

Also perhaps, exetel should consider putting a safety net in place. If offpeak is introduced then people will start scheduling their downloads. A system which bars the user from downloading more than their allowance would be magnificent. I think internode have such a system on their network.
And I am not talking about a 'block page' that you could turn off never to see again, I am talking about a safety net customers could rely on to guarantee they won't be overcharged and they can still use their full allowance without fear.

I'm just thinking along the lines of taking wireless as a serious internet connection.

I think $50 a month, uploads only counted if dominant, 5GB on peak + 5GB off peak, + data blocks at $5 per 250mb, and a working safety net (either shaping, or top-up page cut off) would be great for some people wanting to use 3g as a serious connection.

The above would address my 2 biggest annoyances with wireless broadband :). Double dipping of uploads and the potential to be overcharged.

David R
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 am
Location: Sydney

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by David R » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:01 pm

  • Would around 20-18AUD/GB be satisfactory possible for a new (#premium) Plan?
If so, then how about this example.

Code: Select all

A/$30.00/ 4.5GB(*)
B/$18.00pGB excess, anytime
C/*"3.0GB" of which is available to use solely between 11.00 PM & 11.00 AM. "Thank you for your custom"
ForumADmin may change the wording above:-)...Fingers Xed ^'Optus' comes to the table

+if you wish to extend some generosity my(/others) way, then if a Recharge/recycle option can be done with a "1.5G" plan for us old timer/ADSL(1&2)Telstra folk-who possibly could value a "backup plan", then that would be welcome also,
but no more than "A$35.00" please including "90Days", no bonus time required.


Edit: mainly thinking of Exetel's risk profile/aversion to averaging;
if "5gb + 5gb" + 0.25gb blocks is doable at $50-$40 pm, then I'd vote for that more considerate plan for end consumers.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 am

It may be possible to not count uploads in future plans.

The most sensible way we can find to offer sensible plans is peak/off peak with peak being six to midnight and off peak being the other eighteen hours....or something like that.

So that would result in plans with profiles like:

1/1 - $17.50

2/2 - $25.00

3/3 - $35.00

5/5 - $50.00

10/10 - $90.00

or something along those lines.

Excess usage in either period would be $3.00 per gb

LordS
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by LordS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Is it possible to offer a plan competitive with my WM-A @ $0 a month with 1.5c/MB for data.

Now my sms's have doubled in price on my phone anything that helps keep the costs down would be appreciated.

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:15 pm

LordS wrote:Is it possible to offer a plan competitive with my WM-A @ $0 a month with 1.5c/MB for data.

Now my sms's have doubled in price on my phone anything that helps keep the costs down would be appreciated.
I think I've seen mention of the data costing closer to 2c per mb, if that's the case then I guess this would still be at a loss, a zero dollar plan with usage at some workable level, maybe 10% on cost or whatever would still be attractive for use in a backup situation

Musicinbed
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by Musicinbed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:19 am

ForumAdmin wrote:It may be possible to not count uploads in future plans.

The most sensible way we can find to offer sensible plans is peak/off peak with peak being six to midnight and off peak being the other eighteen hours....or something like that.

So that would result in plans with profiles like:
1/1 - $17.50
2/2 - $25.00
3/3 - $35.00
5/5 - $50.00
10/10 - $90.00
or something along those lines.

Excess usage in either period would be $3.00 per gb
Offpeak being 18 hours? Is that what you meant? Peak: 6PM-12AM OffPeak: 12AM-6PM ?????
That sounds rather generous (and weird), is this because of the way people currently use mobile broadband (mainly after they get home from work after 6pm)? or did you mean to say offpeak 12am-6am?

How could exetel possibly offer excess at $3 per GB for mobile broadband? That's 5x less than what it is now, by that standard going from the 1GB/1GB theoretical plan it'd be like this:
1/1 - $17.50
2/2 - $23.50
3/3 - $29.50
4/4 - $35.50
5/5 - $41.50
7/7 - $53.50
10/10- $71.50
20/10 - $101.50

Those prices would be great :P, But sounds like you don't want the plans to be that cheap, so you'll have to rethink that $3 or the entry price maybe :/.
Although, If you could continue at that price point you would be just undercutting all of iinet's plans (except the 7/7 one when bundled).

I suggested a data-block page at first as I didn't think $3/gb was possible as at the moment it is at minimum $15/gb excess.
Big difference in terms of bill shock. $3/gb wouldn't do much harm if something went wrong.
(still, i'm sure customers love a guarantee to not be overcharged).

oh and if you wanted a gimmick to attract customers, perhaps you could market the uploads as data.
So instead of 10GB (5gb+5gb) it could be 20GB (5GB peak, 5GB o/peak, 10GB uploads anytime).
The above would actually make sense. If optus do give you a much lower price on uploaded data (and you can't allow unlimited free uploads) then giving uploads it's own quota (anytime for uploads) is win win for everyone, and the big number of "data" will make exetel stand out a little more.

LordS
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by LordS » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:25 am

I actually recall John saying once previously that Optus wouldn't allow them to introduce a block page, as it was how they made their money.

Maybe with the new pricing they're changed their stance.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:08 am

Musicinbed wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:It may be possible to not count uploads in future plans.

The most sensible way we can find to offer sensible plans is peak/off peak with peak being six to midnight and off peak being the other eighteen hours....or something like that.

So that would result in plans with profiles like:
1/1 - $17.50
2/2 - $25.00
3/3 - $35.00
5/5 - $50.00
10/10 - $90.00
or something along those lines.

Excess usage in either period would be $3.00 per gb
Offpeak being 18 hours? Is that what you meant? Peak: 6PM-12AM OffPeak: 12AM-6PM ?????
That sounds rather generous (and weird), is this because of the way people currently use mobile broadband (mainly after they get home from work after 6pm)? or did you mean to say offpeak 12am-6am?

How could exetel possibly offer excess at $3 per GB for mobile broadband? That's 5x less than what it is now, by that standard going from the 1GB/1GB theoretical plan it'd be like this:
1/1 - $17.50
2/2 - $23.50
3/3 - $29.50
4/4 - $35.50
5/5 - $41.50
7/7 - $53.50
10/10- $71.50
20/10 - $101.50

Those prices would be great :P, But sounds like you don't want the plans to be that cheap, so you'll have to rethink that $3 or the entry price maybe :/.
Although, If you could continue at that price point you would be just undercutting all of iinet's plans (except the 7/7 one when bundled).

I suggested a data-block page at first as I didn't think $3/gb was possible as at the moment it is at minimum $15/gb excess.
Big difference in terms of bill shock. $3/gb wouldn't do much harm if something went wrong.
(still, i'm sure customers love a guarantee to not be overcharged).

oh and if you wanted a gimmick to attract customers, perhaps you could market the uploads as data.
So instead of 10GB (5gb+5gb) it could be 20GB (5GB peak, 5GB o/peak, 10GB uploads anytime).
The above would actually make sense. If optus do give you a much lower price on uploaded data (and you can't allow unlimited free uploads) then giving uploads it's own quota (anytime for uploads) is win win for everyone, and the big number of "data" will make exetel stand out a little more.
We don't want any gimmicks - we aren't that type of company.

No, my post contained no errors....off peak would be 18 hours.

I didn't know that iinet offered any wireless broadband plans let alone ones with 18 hours of off peak....please point them out.

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by Col » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:16 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I didn't know that iinet offered any wireless broadband plans let alone ones with 18 hours of off peak....please point them out.
http://www.iinet.net.au/mobile-broadband/ - off peak for them is only midnight to 7am though.

If you can do an 18hr off peak without it hurting the current prices that much then I think it is a good idea, and potential differentiator for at least a while.

I would stick to charging per megabyte for excess, and perhaps have it no lower than 1c/MB. With very very cheap excess what does it mean for the PAYU plan? Will it be updated too?

Other than that if you can throw in some free uploads. Be it 100% uncounted, or free up to the point of hitting the period's quota for the month, I don't know.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I didn't know that iinet offered any wireless broadband plans let alone ones with 18 hours of off peak....please point them out.
http://www.iinet.net.au/mobile-broadband/ - off peak for them is only midnight to 7am though.

If you can do an 18hr off peak without it hurting the current prices that much then I think it is a good idea, and potential differentiator for at least a while.

I would stick to charging per megabyte for excess, and perhaps have it no lower than 1c/MB. With very very cheap excess what does it mean for the PAYU plan? Will it be updated too?

Other than that if you can throw in some free uploads. Be it 100% uncounted, or free up to the point of hitting the period's quota for the month, I don't know.
The iinet plans you reference are simply Optus plans 're-badged'. They aren't even close to what Exetel is considering.

There can be no PAYU plans on the potential new arrangements with Optus........Exetel will have to move one step closer to the "me tooism" that I so detest about this industry these days.

We need to put in place some guard against any customer incurring 'excess usage' charges in this nanny state where no-one can be held accountable for their actions.....so there will almost certainly be a block page requiring more usage to be paid for or no further access in the month.

I would have like to have got to $3.00 per gb for excess usage but there is little doubt that the d***head minority of any user base would make that unprovidable.....so you're right it will have to be much higher than that.

Dimand
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by Dimand » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Right now. I am on the WM - C plan. I don’t see how you could make this plan more attractive to me, It beats everything else on the market as far as I am concerned.

I like having the call in number, which is important, it means i can be offline and still have people call me. I always call out with voip(masked with my mobile call in number) natively as it is built into my phone, so it costs me much less. I send sms's using a small program that I wrote myself. The voip prices are great. Sure there might be sligtly cheaper ones somewhere, but I like been able to control everything through exetel, and it's only ever a few more cents to stay with exetel, the convenience is worth the dollar or so a month.

The best thing however, and this was recently shown in johns blog, is how good the hspa service is. It is consistently excellent compared to all other providers I have been with. Also, I love the set $15 per GB. I usualy only use around 300mb or so, but I like that it is pay as you go, it annoys me no end having caps that are basically wasted data I wouldn’t use but still have to pay for (this is why I am a fan of the 50c/GB for anything over 10GB on my ONA plan). The best part about that though is I am never going to get charged 100's of $$$ for going over some arbitrary limit by a small amount.

Musicinbed
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by Musicinbed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Musicinbed wrote: oh and if you wanted a gimmick to attract customers, perhaps you could market the uploads as data.
We don't want any gimmicks - we aren't that type of company.
Well, maybe gimmick wasn't the right word. I think quite a few customers would be using their 3g connection primarily for social websites. I do not think any sites should be unmetered, but, you can use a lot of upload data trying to get photos onto facebook.

A lot of people just plug in their camera and just drag it all over. If someone went out (club, wedding, some event), 4 times a month, and took 50 photos at a time (I don't get why people feel the need to take so many.. but they do) then that works out to be...
4mb x 50 photos x 4 = 800mb upload data per month, just on that.

It really all depends where exetel is trying to go. I'd consider separating hsdpa from the main exetel website and maybe launch exetelwireless.com.au or something. Make it a new shiny looking page, stating why extra upload quota is beneficial (more photos, webcam, skype), make it a small website but easy on the eye (shiny!) and easy for someone to understand.

Total Data - (Onpeak download + Offpeak download + Anytime upload) - price

PAYU - $5 - $10 per GB onpeak, $5 per GB offpeak (uploads uncounted if not dominant)
4GB (1GB+1GB+2GB) - $18.00
8GB (2GB+2GB+4GB) - $25.00
12GB(3GB+3GB+6GB) - $35.00
20GB (5GB+5GB+10GB) - $50.00
30GB(5GB+10GB+15GB) - $60.00
40GB (10GB+10GB+20GB) - $90.00

It's just an idea ^_^. It would make exetel stand out (but as mentioned in the blog, how long until it is copied?). It gives exetel the niche on wireless uploads, plus, most people probably won't even come close to their upload limit.

Post Reply