New HSPA Plans

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
wadeholmes

Re: New HSPA Plans

Post by wadeholmes » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 am

I hope you are keeping the $5 plus pay as you go plan on the optus network - A it offers better coverage for us regional people and B it makes a more attractive option for low use mobile phones (as opposed to dedicated hspa for internet usage only) -I am only accessing the data for voip and sms and as such have no need for higher amounts

If you need to raise the cost of the pay as you go to 2c or 2.5c I'm sure it won't make a massive difference - if it does, then people can jump onto higher plans with included data I suppose

Col

Post by Col » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Not getting enough positive feedback? Dividing such small amounts of quota (compared to ADSL1/2+) into restrictive periods mightn't be everyone's cup of tea. If you throw in the towel at this point in time and just do a bit more me-too stuff then perhaps a plan refresh along the following lines might be enough:

1GB $15
2GB $22
4GB $30
6GB $40
8GB $50

Even if you only knock excess down to 3c or 4c per MB, and keep uploads counted like pretty much every else, those plans will still be reasonably competitive imo. Then if you can hold onto a PAYU plan (throw out the $0 one and add 100-200MB to the $5 one?) I think it would put smiles on a few faces.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Col wrote: 1GB $15
2GB $22
4GB $30
6GB $40
8GB $50

Even if you only knock excess down to 3c or 4c per MB, and keep uploads counted like pretty much every else, those plans will still be reasonably competitive imo.
even if the pricing is similar and not significantly cheaper the things like static IP, no restrictions on ports, member portal etc and good backhaul puts this service above what the majority of others are offering anyway, there's a lot more to this than just the price and download allowance, it is unfortunate that those ($$ and Mb's) are the things people look at mostly though but are not a always a good indicator of the quality of a service

Will81

Post by Will81 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Have the new plans been finalised?

According to the Exetel website:
http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php

Peak time will be 9am – 12 midnight (15 hours) while off-peak time is reduced to 9 hours. This is quite a change from the original proposal of 18 hours off peak.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:24 pm

If you care to offer something 'really creative', I suggest scaling the allowances a bit further, per: https://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index ... ......html (Survery finding), it is the price that matters.

Example,

Code: Select all

.5/.5 - $12.50

1/2 - $17.50

2/2 - $25.00

2/4 - $32.50

5/5 - $50.00

Primetime 5.00PM to 11.00PM 

Overage @ $5pGB.
as can be seen from this highlighted concept... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=primetime+exetel.com.au [.]

Now FOr those who havent read between the lines in Forumadmin's blog, or the older threads closely enough, it is actually a hybrid HSPA product that I've submitted above.(^))

The hybrid product represents a quality fast service at the above stated pricepoints: data at ~$20-$10pGB included "Peak, charge"(ignoring any offpeak value)... THEN, it will bring in contention in the 'overage component' should you have maxed the plan out, think:- the deliberately congested pools of ADSL bandwidth circa 2007/ - you would go into overage at a more softer $5pGB or so rate. (-Continues-)
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Principles governing the service
First to deal with Offpeak, I believe supplying 2X Peak as the ratio for data on certain creative plans ought to be sustainable with the 18 hours in mind. Doing the math, it would conform to the definition that Offpeak is a timeslot of assigned/or recognised 'lower usage'. That is, the 1GB / 6hours "Peak"(or 12.34 kilobits/s) remains truly Greater than 2GB / 18hours "Offpeak"(or 8.23 kilobits/s)

At $5 for excess(?), even though speed may then fluctuate from 4Mbps to 2Mbps, on ocassion, that would probably be 'preferable' given the price (very high) of this expensive data. The point will be to not rely on 'unstable overage' but instead to budget to selecting an appropriate plan-level.

When you take in to account "rounding" $"5" more or less contributes as $10 data (maybe $6 if users willfully exceed by many GB's); remembering any time actual usage falls in between 999 & 1 MB "Over" an allowance of data, if you're at 500 MB =$5.00 (on average) over, then the system is effectively tallying "$10 pGB".

Achieve this by provisioning the 'overage pool' at 50% normal capacity, (Mbps)=0.5X $15/GB. If that implies Speed =~half normal, then in a desireable way that also reduces the sting from charges, i.e....if 1GB =5 Dollars, then 1GBph speed(=2Mbps) costs me less than 2GBph(=4Mbps). Being 1hour over (in a contended bandwidth, pooling situation) could save me $5 if I have only exceeded in that time, for example, 900MB over. 'Slowed' might = 'handy', in that scenario.

In one other scenario I'm just 0.1GB($5) and 0.2GB($5) over the inclusions for say, the "0.5/0.5 - $12.50"- novice plan, that bills total then rises to $22.50 - way, way above the "0.6"GB-cost generated.

The competitive environment probably warrants a $12.50 plan as an entry point. "~$150 per annum" for 365day expiry, is becoming a "hot" commodity at the 'low level' spend end of the market, analyse here: http://www.comparebroadband.com.au/Sear ... &top=empty and here: http://prepaidplans.com.au/2009/05/quic ... dband/#Low Cost Entry Level Products

As a final principle I support that a novice plan have a explicit threshold 1/1 GB($22.50) - that once measured, invokes the pre-payment usage clause that requires either '$5/ $5' (be paid) to continue and use the rest of 1.5/1.5, or 'no user input' and simply waits for the next bill cycle. Or some other safety mechanism.

(^)As far as I know there is *no way* Exetel can overcome the '$5'-on every service "infrastructure charge" imposed, then there is the "variable data" with OPTUS ?15-a-Gigabyte, no more no less. SO if you see "Excess,$5" published somewhere, understand it is an ILLUSION you are being offered. More accurately you will expect some portion of that 1000MB to be available but depending on the 'level of' contention at any time. If "few people" are incuring "overage at 3am" along with yourself, you might expect speed there to be 100%
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

harryL

Post by harryL » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Any thought of a 12 month pre-paid HSPA plan?

With ability to top-up as required.

... and still keep the peak/off-peak arrangement.

H.

David R

Post by David R » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Obsolete

David R

Post by David R » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Evening->(Night)->Afternoon HSPA plans

Please show to Optus and get their signature for a deal.

Innovation + Creativity= Value.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:29 pm

We have decided against offering any new wireless broadband plans with larger quotas at lower prices.

Why?

Because, at least for us,it isn't possible.

What we will do is produce one new plan that is at a higher price.

Why?

Because we have discovered in all our research and analysis that we are probably the only wireless broadband provider that actually delivers what it offers - an uncontended (on the parts of the network we control) wireless broadband service at a price that barely breaks even for us.

We won't make any changes to Exetel customers on current plans but the new plan will simply be a $5.00 port recovery charge plus 2 cents per megabyte for access that is fully provisioned at all times of the day every day of the year.

Will this be successful? Probably not but we either are so small that we cannot buy at the prices our competitors achieve or we actually provision to deliver what our customers think they are buying.

Either way we won't have to worry about lying to our customers or losing money apparently providing the same service other companies sell at lower prices.

Either way we will be better off and so will any customer who chooses our service or chooses to leave our service to get a cheaper service else where.

The REAL cost of the service we currently provide is 1.95 cents per megabyte PLUS $4.40 monthly access.

The new plan will be (inc gst) $5.00 per month for access and 2.0 cents per megabyte based on usage. It is a 'premium' service on which Exetel would make about a dollar a month profit per average use wireless customer.

If a customer isn't prepared to give us around a 5% margin on a complex service then they have a choice of providers who will appear to give them a better deal - maybe there are some who will actually give them a better deal. If they think the services are the same then they would be crazy to pay Exetel's price premium.

fsm

Post by fsm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 am

It's impressive that Exetel is prepared to publish its costs and on the basis of what you've written I applaud the decision for a single plan. I'm certainly in favour of Exetel aligning its retail pricing with its cost model. I hope prospective customers will appreciate it too. Its a pity though that Exetel can't get better wholesale pricing. The 'port recovery fee' of $4.40/pm seems a bit of a rip off since Optus are prepared to let their prepaid voice customers hang onto a SIM for $20/year including usage, and I assume data only customers impact the network far less especially since they are more likely to have their devices switched off.

Since Optus won't play ball, and the Exetel pricing is less appealing for high volume users (ignoring quality arguments), it seems to me that Exetel will make most of its money from the markup $5 monthly fee rather than data. I'd also assume that low volume user's traffic is generally mail and web. If that is true, Exetel could make itself more appealing to those users by implementing compression between the users machine and their network. I don't know whether Optus uses compression on their network, but Exetel should help customers minimise their use of the Optus network at the prices they charge. There are a few different possibilities best left for another thread.

BTW, unless I did the maths wrong you seem to be saying the average wireless customer use 800MB whereas I seem to remember reading something more along the lines of 300MB.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

Our average usage per customer is 800 mbytes (up and down).

Exetel has absolutely no control of data transiting the Optus mobile network from your device to the closest tower and then the back haul to our POIs in Sydney and Melbourne so we can't provide 'compression' or any other 'management' of data transit.

fsm

Post by fsm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Exetel is well placed to provide proxy servers to support compressed data since all user traffic transits Exetel's network. Exetel could provide or advise of software that could be used to support these compressing servers that users could install themselves. Some compression could even be more or less transparently provided without software installation by users (e.g.HTTP gzip content encoding, lossy image reencoding by transparent proxies.) Exetel might even choose to provide compression software on the 3G modems it sells. It's immaterial here whether Exetel controls the transit, Exetel has all the control it needs - although better compression can be provided with the cooperation of users. It is technically possible, whether it makes business sense for Exetel to do this, I don't know, but it seems to me that unless Exetel can improve its HSPA pricing it can only hope to attract low volume users, the majority of whom should have highly compressible data and implementing compression would further improve Exetel's value to these price conscious consumers. Furthermore, it seems to me that implementing compression (or perhaps the threat of implementing compression) might improve Exetel's leverage over Optus (assuming Exetel has no data commitment here).

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 pm

fsm wrote:Exetel is well placed to provide proxy servers to support compressed data since all user traffic transits Exetel's network. Exetel could provide or advise of software that could be used to support these compressing servers that users could install themselves. Some compression could even be more or less transparently provided without software installation by users (e.g.HTTP gzip content encoding, lossy image reencoding by transparent proxies.) Exetel might even choose to provide compression software on the 3G modems it sells. It's immaterial here whether Exetel controls the transit, Exetel has all the control it needs - although better compression can be provided with the cooperation of users. It is technically possible, whether it makes business sense for Exetel to do this, I don't know, but it seems to me that unless Exetel can improve its HSPA pricing it can only hope to attract low volume users, the majority of whom should have highly compressible data and implementing compression would further improve Exetel's value to these price conscious consumers. Furthermore, it seems to me that implementing compression (or perhaps the threat of implementing compression) might improve Exetel's leverage over Optus (assuming Exetel has no data commitment here).
I thought the whole point was that Exetel didn't use compression like Optus currently do for their own users, it may reduce the download by whatever amount but it also seems to spoil the experience in the process, Optus may do it to get away with over provisioning their network, I'm not really sure but the Exetel method of not interfering with the data provides a better end user experience, at least in my experience when I've used an Exetel version and an Optus version of the same product side by side

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 pm

Intriguing thought fsm, but it would need a colossal server. The common browsers support gzip compression of input. Apache can use an .htaccess file to get this going, at the expense of server load, but how many existing web servers actually do it? As for emails, any significant attachments sent or received at my system are highly compressed anyway.