Help with set up. BP3-USB

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Viss

Help with set up. BP3-USB

Post by Viss » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi, I was given an BP3-USB Telstra Modem which was locked to their network. I have succesfully unlocked the modem. Today I recieved my usim and activated my account, ive installed MiniMax Modem manager software and when the modem is inserted the driver was installed and the MiniMax software starts and reads, Full Signal Yes Optus 3G. I click the connect button and it says, [telstra.pcpack] Connecting and then a message failed to create data connection. I called support and they told me they cant help me because of my modem :? and muttered somthing about profiles (very hard to understand) anyway, If somone could assist me in getting this working I would appreciate it.

Edit in the QMI Connection Manager it says under the status tab right at the bottom Error: WDSStartNetworkInterfaceReq failed with error 'Authentication Failed'. im not sure if this meens anything or not.

Cheers Richard.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Help with set up. BP3-USB

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

These things aren't my scene, so I will gladly defer to anyone who uses one, but in the manual, http://www.maxon.com.au/udocuments/Wind ... e_v1.0.pdf, p6, referring to non-Telstra connections, it says:
For all other network SIM please create a new profile by selecting MENU > Settings > ConnectionManager > Create.
It is the usual practice to create a new profile when connecting 3G modems (any brand) when Windows driver software is used, and I think this is what Support meant when you spoke to somebody there. If you want to just test whether you successfully unlocked it though, you could try it with a recent Linux live CD (eg Ubuntu, where you don't have to install drivers at all)

Viss

Post by Viss » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi Daz thanks for the reply, ive been through all that but I think the issue is with the profiles. After I create a new profile I cant edit it nor delete it, and even though I have named the new profile exetel when you hit the connect button it says [telstra.pcpack] Connecting so it still some how has some telstra crap still stuck in it some where. I was hoping one of the admins might have an idea.

Richard

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:43 am

HI Richard,

I use the BP3-USB with an Exetel HSPA (optus) sim as a failover for my naked ADSL2 connection, and it works fine.

I have also used the modem+SIM directly connected to my laptop with the MiniMax software and also works, so you must have a setup issue somewhere.

I don't have access to the modem at the moment, so I can't check my settings, but reading the help, after you create a new Profile (which you called Exetel):
After completing the profile data, click on Connection and select the newly created profile in the 3GPP Profile ID combo box
MiniMax.png
Screenshot
MiniMax.png (16.34 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
In the attached screenshot, you should replace where they have shown "ipwan" with "Exetel" (the name of your new profile).

Give that a try.

Danny

Viss

Post by Viss » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks for the help.

I was on the right track but for some reason when I entered a new profile it would not stick, then on the third time it did and worked fine. I still have the other 2 profiles in there that I cant delete for some reason but all is working fine now.

Thanks for the help