Data-Recharge HSPA vs. CAP-Mobile HSPA

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
David R

Data-Recharge HSPA vs. CAP-Mobile HSPA

Post by David R » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 pm

I'd like to recruit an 'engineer' or anyone to conduct & post a brief 'technology review' of : Prepaid Data Recharge (Plan) HSPA vs. Cap Mobile Service HSPA access,

please include a VoIP Quality Test for each hspa product type and link a report summary from myspeed.visualware.com

for example, my testing Kansas USA recorded a mean opinion score (MOS) of 4.0 based on my desktop (NSW\ADSL1).

A hspa set of tests completed at a) 10.00 PM EDT and b) 4.00 AM EDT , or at any times during the day
by use of either a desktop or laptop with a dongle or tether connection, should be fine for comparing these measurements.
Last edited by David R on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

David R

Re: Data-Recharge HSPA vs. CAP-Mobile HSPA

Post by David R » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:51 am

~ Bump ~
Okay an update, I did not do an MOS test myself, but I did run some useful 8 X Pingtests and 10 X Speedtests, for anyone who may be interested in the Optus HSDPA network.

Test samples from December 2010 - January 2011.
220.233.165.22x
EXETEL
Pre-Paid (RP2000) service
My test basis is an HTC Kaiser II WM6 OS/2007/unlocked phone - tethered via USB to Windows Vista PC
- Phone is a HSPA-3.6Mbps device.
--------------------------------------
'Median' Ping result of 8 tests:
'Best' Ping test:

Median for Jitter "22ms", and a few test around dinner time/7:00PM had Packet Loss at 15%.
- Overall, from my brief evaluation: experienced "grade D (3.38)" connection conditions.

Latency from speedtest.net measurement would range 167 ms - 88 ms - a median 117 ms over 10 tests.

Speeds from speedtest.net were pleasingly consistent the median for uplink "0.35 Mbps", but were a more variable result for down which register ~2.54 Mbps. Not so bad. It is what I expect of any transit purchased above $A10 per GB.

Best speed I got at 7:03 PM EST-(New Year's Eve) recorded 2.91 Mbps-

It will be interesting, for myself at least, to compare samples to any I may get with premium nextG' network based on Pre-paid performance. It would be outside of scope to include nextg here, but anyone with a capped Optus device should be able to compare and post their own connection speeds and ping timing tests.

A final comment: OptusW' HSPA could be much better improved if only it could get its charging model to a correct/acceptable 'standard' for consumers; dropping excess and inserting "64Kbps" should be a minimum requirement.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:36 am

I feel like humouring you today.

E71 on CAP19 plan:

I will try to remember to do another speed test tonight with busier network... and I did
Last edited by Ravenous on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 pm

David R wrote:OptusW' HSPA could be much better improved if only it could get its charging model to a correct/acceptable 'standard' for consumers; dropping excess and inserting "64Kbps" should be a minimum requirement.
I'd like to know what research backs up your statement that consumers would prefer shaping after reaching quota limits on a HSPA connection. Only because it contradicts my personal experience, with both friends and work colleagues wanting a full speed connection at all times. Can you point me to your source, please?

David R

Post by David R » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 am

Hmmm suggesting there are users whom would judge such charges "non concerning" seems a quite alien feedback.

To indicate with some confidence this 'abominable old-fashioned practice' is "moving toward obsolescence"
http://www.zdnet.com.au/telstra-drops-w ... 300428.htm
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/164662,te ... arges.aspx
http://digihub.smh.com.au/node/1658
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/09/te ... and-plans/
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/t ... public_rss

1) It is simply an unecessary source of frustration and 'waste' in any User's life--residential (and business users alike, for that matter). That these end buyers should be subject to a brunt of punitively improper, 'ludicrous'- excess charges.
2) Not least of the argument here is that these artificial charges create a "complex pricing" system: survey reveal a high percentage of consumers admit not being aware of the actual 'data GB' they have in their Internet volume plan. Providers have been quite prepared to keep gouging those typical punters - not difficult to understand, but it simply underscores that those doing the "gouging" are taking *exceptional* advantage. But it's okay, I don't expect all ISPs 'will care' to focus on more flexible bandwidth systems. Though inevitably, many will.
3) The more 'astute' providers (or, come to think of it, the now majority in Australia - recognising BigPond-NextG have capitulated) have identified that customers "loathe metered-charges" and are indeed "price sensitive creatures" and therefore, the ISPs by informing themselves of what was really always self-evident have made the required investment to be in a position to capitalise on that " need " - the need consumers have obviously to *prefer* flat-fee based pricing.
Why ?...( Surely you don't belong in kindergarten?) ...BECAUSE it would enable a simpler range of products to make available for purchase - making consumer life that much easier - with no unwanted billing. That would be the consensus I'd have thought.

And so, putting aside silly perspectives, hopefully you can be cognisant of the wider, more 'normative' truth that PAYG models/ excess penalties were to make way for sophisticated 'architecture' - and support for improved shaping/unmetered_data are THE twin 'selling-features' in broadband development.
Ravenous wrote:I will try to remember to do another speed test tonight with busier network... and I did
Thank you, to at least one member, for obliging with your CAP plan/HSDPA results. Any further participation can only add more balance to the existing information.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 am

David R wrote: Hmmm suggesting there are users whom would judge such charges "non concerning" seems a quite alien feedback.
[snip]
I didn't ask about acceptance of extreme excess charges, I was asking why a shaped speed is preferable to full speed for HSPA connections.

It seems, in amongst your circumlocutory style of writing, that your opinion is that quotas and shaping are the only way to deliver broadband, including HSPA. I've yet to see any data that supports this.

Given the costs in implementing the infrastructure, I believe that pay as you go, with a flat rate, is a better way of funding wireless broadband.

Munka

Post by Munka » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 am

Klaas wrote:
Given the costs in implementing the infrastructure, I believe that pay as you go, with a flat rate, is a better way of funding wireless broadband.
I agree with this, though the costs of infrastructure are of little interest to me as a user, I would much prefer to pay for what I use, not some false limit imposed by a bean counter that knows nothing of my broadband needs :roll:
Munka

David R

Post by David R » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Klaas wrote:It seems, in amongst your circumlocutory style of writing, that your opinion is that quotas and shaping are the only way to deliver broadband, including HSPA. I've yet to see any data that supports this.
Unequivocally, that is correct. I thought that the high flow of customers toward NextG' this year (reported 1H'11, and in context with articles I attached) demonstrates support, that with the major change in direction - movement to a reasonable '3G shaping', this has firmed Telstra's base.
Flat rate PAYG would be my "second choice", but I have yet to see this sold at any compelling/convincing rate which does not sacrifice quality, that is extremely important.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:24 pm

David R wrote: I thought that the high flow of customers toward NextG' this year (reported 1H'11, and in context with articles I attached) demonstrates support
I'm assuming that your "high flow" comment is based on Telstra's trumpeting market speak.

In relation to the articles cited:

ZDnet article
Dated 14th Jan 2010 - applies to wireless modem plans only, whereas smartphone plans still ask, 13 months later, for 25c per MB over quota excess fees. I would hazard a guess that more people are looking for smartphone connections, than wireless modems. From Telstra's mobile broadband page, it appears that the shaped plans require a purchase of a Telstra branded 3G modem (and possibly bundling of other services to achieve the prices listed). The availability of tethering makes it highly likely that a smartphone user wouldn't want to purchase additional hardware.

IT News article
Dated 14th Jan 2010 - basically same press release as the ZDnet article

digihub article
Dated 4th May 2010 - announces that smartphone plans have 'cheaper' data packs, but excess on smartphone plans is still 25c per MB.

Lifehacker article
Dated - 8th Sep 2010 - refers to BigPond Broadband - not relevant to a discussion around HSPA

Daily Telegraph article
Dated 13 Aug 2010 - talks about Telstra protecting their revenue stream from smartphone customers who don't take responsibility for their own internet use.

If, as you imply, Telstra are moving to a shaping model, why are all smartphone plans still carrying a 25c per MB excess charge? - Simple, Telstra knows that folks with smartphone are more likely to use the internet frequently, than folks lugging around laptops and having to plug in a USB modem.