Help need on setting up Exetel Access point

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
bathuu

Help need on setting up Exetel Access point

Post by bathuu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:26 am

Hi guys,

I have just got a Nokia E63 and trying to use all the bells whistles of it. I have got my phone connected to the my home wireless network and can make SIP calls through it with my VOIP account. And I'm just wondering if it is possible to make SIP calls over 3G or HSPA connections when i'm not in range of my home WI-FI.

After reading some threads I have done following steps.

First, I have created 'exetel1' in tools->connection->apn control, then created new access point in tools->connection->access point with settings of:
Connection name: exetel 3g
Data bearer: Packet data
Access point name: exetel1
User name: My Exetel facility user name
Password: my password
Authentication: normal

after this I went to SIP settings of my phone and created new profile for 3G connection using above access point with my VOIP user name password, same as I created for my WiFi connection except different access point.

However,my new connection with 3G access point don't get registered in SIP settings. It says 'not registered' when Service profile: Nokia 3GPP and 'registration failed' when Service Profile: IETF. Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong here. I'm quite new to this kind of stuff. Thanks

Tim

Jyrn

Re: Help need on setting up Exetel Access point

Post by Jyrn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:28 pm

To cut a long and technical description short it is not possible to use the exetel1 apn from within the phone. I believe that Optus does not allow resellers to provide data access via handset. The exetel1 apn only works via a tethered handset where the apn control is maintained by software on the computer rather than by the handset itself. The handset only acts as the modem and is 'dumb' in relation to where it is connecting to.

I am happy for a more technically capable person to prove me wrong but the above is how I believe the world works.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 pm

I have an E71 so I will assume it is one and the same.
bathuu wrote:First, I have created 'exetel1' in tools->connection->apn control
This is not required.
bathuu wrote:then created new access point in tools->connection->access point with settings of:
Connection name: exetel 3g
Data bearer: Packet data
Access point name: exetel1
User name: My Exetel facility user name
Password: my password
Authentication: normal
Change the following:
User name: None (i.e. leave blank)
Password: None (i.e. leave blank)

Should be good. If not, I guess you should indicate whether you are on an Exetel Wireless Broadband plan, Exetel (via Optus) CAP plan or another Mobile 3G/HSPA service plan? The APN may differ to exetel1.

bathuu

Post by bathuu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for your replies.

Removing exetel1 from APN control and blanking username password from the Access Point Settings gave no change at all, I'm still having no luck. For your information, I haven't got any Exetel Wireless Broadband plan, Exetel (via Optus) CAP plan or another Mobile 3G/HSPA service plan. I only have a naked ADSL2 plan on Exetel and VOIP account from Exetel. I actually bought this phone for MOIP application. Then after reading some threads I decided to give a try for its own inbuilt application to make SIP calls on 3G. What I'm trying to do is what MOIP application does right, If I understood correctly? A voice account behind my VOIP application on my ADSL2 connection is also the voice account that is behind the MOIP calls over HSPA connection, right? If so, I think, it would not require any other plan for MOIP or inbuilt SIP client to make calls over 3G, as long as there is an Exetel Access Point? (I could be wrong on this)
I'm sorry that one poor guy trying get around all these high level tech stuff :mrgreen: Thanks

Tim

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 pm

bathuu wrote:I haven't got any Exetel Wireless Broadband plan, Exetel (via Optus) CAP plan or another Mobile 3G/HSPA service plan.
You will need a 3G mobile service with a data plan (and SIM) for your mobile phone. Did you buy this phone outright without a mobile service provider?

If you are not currently with a mobile service provider you can order one through your members facility. If you are strictly going to use VoIP over 3G/HSPA i would go for the WBP plan outlined here: http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php. The call costs listed there are for 'normal mobile calls' should you make them. Using the E63 SIP function to make calls through VoIP/MoIP will be charged at the HSPA VoIP rates http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_planA.php + data charges which you will be able to access and set up once you activate the wireless broadband account. Once you receive the SIM stick it into the phone, put those settings in as discussed above and you should be good to go.

If you get an Exetel WBP plan, I suggest that you get the Exetel MoIP application for nokia (also via members facility) as it is the easiest way to take advantage of the 'G729' codec (I'm led to believe that is what the MoIP app uses as 1st pref) which is most efficent for VoIP over 3G/HSPA especially since the E63 has slowish speeds 384 kbps/384 kbps down/up. You could get a Nokia application called SIP VoIP settings but I find it quite clumsy to use to be able change codec preferences.

bathuu

Post by bathuu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi there,

I got confused very big here. Yes, this is outright phone but it has Optus prepaid SIM inside. My intention is to use MOIP to reduce my Optus bills. I never knew that I would need Wireless Broadband Package in order to use Exetel MOIP. I don't see any information in MOIP section of the User Facilities that suggesting I should buy a HSPA plan before downloading the MOIP. Can someone please clarify my understanding of MOIP capable handset + MOIP application = VOIP over 3G is right?

Thanks
Tim

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:24 pm

try 'internet' as the access point name (minus inverted commas)

others i know of for optus are 'connect', 'preconnect', or 'yesinternet'

snd

Post by snd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

bathuu wrote:Hi guys,

I have just got a Nokia E63 and trying to use all the bells whistles of it. I have got my phone connected to the my home wireless network and can make SIP calls through it with my VOIP account. And I'm just wondering if it is possible to make SIP calls over 3G or HSPA connections when i'm not in range of my home WI-FI.
Hi Tim,

Good to hear that you have been able to configure your E63 handset such that you can make VoIP calls via WiFi.

For effective VoIP over 3G you need to establish an HSPA connection - but your phone doesn't have HSPA. Not sure if this is a barrier for establishing the connection to the Exetel SIP server - but even if you can do that the VoIP quality will be unusable.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?id ... hone2=2425

Cheers.