One-way audio on mobile calls using csipsimple on Desire HD

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
freddyzdead

One-way audio on mobile calls using csipsimple on Desire HD

Post by freddyzdead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi Guys
I've set up csipsimple with my Exetel voip account and it seems to work really well, except when I ring a mobile number, or one rings me (it doesn't seem to make any difference which way), the other party can hear me, but I can't hear them. It doesn;'t seem to matter if the connection is with wi-fi, HSPA or 3G, though I've had some lag issues on 3G. I wonder if it's a codec issue, something in the csipsimple settings, something in the Desire HD that I don't know about, or do I just not know what I am doing. I assume my thinking is correct and that voip through an Android handset is not pushing the technology too far. Calls to PSTN numbers work just fine btw.

I've looked around and can't seem to see anybody else with this trouble. I've uninstalled csipsimple and reinstalled an older version and the current market version, makes no difference. Tried another Android SIP client, imsdroid, but I couldn't figure out some of the settings so I gave up on that. Anyhow, most seem to agree that csipsimple is the best Android SIP program so far.

Maybe somebody who's using csipsimple in the same environment I am and has no trouble could share their settings with me to see if there's any difference.

Baldrick

Re: One-way audio on mobile calls using csipsimple on Desire

Post by Baldrick » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 pm

I have had similar problems with the earlier versions. It seems to be some sort of a mix of registration times mixed with the codec mobiles generally seem to use. ( It seems mobile services generally negotiate to 711a ) Originally I found that by doing a fresh registration would get it working again which is not good.
Currently i am running an updated version that seems to have fixed this issue which you could run from the csip site nightly builds. ( You would need to allow installation of untrusted sources to do this )
Alternatively Csip is due for a new market release which I believe should be within this week sometime.
Fwiw, the current build i am running has also allowed me to drop all STUN & ICE server settings & is working quite nicely through my home ADSL Wifi connection with no port forwarding used at all. It also seems to have made the 3G HSPA side of things run a little more smoothly also as well as actually giving me a slightly better battery life.

Edit:
Just had a look on the CSip site & a new market version has been released earlier tonight.
Would be interesting to know how well the market version runs. ( i will stick to my current dev version for a while yet )

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Baldrick

Can you tell me what build no. you used? I remember being in the developer's repository and there were quite a few to pick from. I suppose most of them have bugs, though minor ones perhaps.

As for the codecs, csipsimple doesn't have G.711 but it does have pcma and pcmu, which I think are probably the same thing with another name. It couldn't be the mis-naming causes problems, could it? I notice the codec setup is a lot different from that of my spa3102 which has worked flawlessly for years.

I wonder if the imsdroid is worth a further look. I found it quite by accident, but when I saw that it supports G.729, I decided I might give it a try. If you want to test it, I could put it up on my website and post a link here.

Are we doing groundbreaking stuff here, or are there just not many trying to run their voip through their Android? Also, I find the Market to be disappointingly fatuous and most of the apps seem to be mindless crap. There should be another market for serious people.

One more thing, I've got a DID in Washington state, USA where my sister lives. It's a local call for her and connects thru to my Exetel voip. It was working fine, just like other PSTN calls, but when she rang me today, I couldn't hear her. All that's changed is I installed the market version of csipsimple. Another weird thing is it keeps ticking the boxes to use GPRS and EDGE for outgoing calls. I untick them and later it puts them back. Didn't do that before.

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, I tried installing imsdroid again and still couldn't get it to register. Btw, the version I've got is the same as the one on the developer's site. Anyhow, it's a work in progress and not really up to the job yet.

I reinstalled the 0.16 version I had going before and found no change, other than sometimes getting the reverse problem; the other party couldn't hear me. This was after installing the latest Market version.
Finally the penny dropped and I started wondering if another app was interfering with csipsimple. I went through all the apps I've installed recently that had any sort of communication capability and uninstalled 6 or 7 of them. I rebooted the phone and made some test calls, guess what, problem gone. Unfortunately, I don't know which one was clashing. I should have taken them out one by one and tested in between. Anyhow, we now have a warning of what to look for when this kind of trouble arises. I wonder if developers have enough incentive to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 pm

freddyzdead,
I actually had exactly the same issue happen myself this morning with incoming phone calls receiving audio from me but I was getting nothing at my end. This happened to me a while back & I posted a question on this forum somewhere to see if changes had been made to Exetel servers which unfortunately went unanswered.
Like yourself I am also using a Linksys spa3102 at my home which I would rate as being at least equal to an ordinary PSTN connection in terms of reliability & usability.
This fault seems to be quite random & as such I would have to assume it is a bug not yet ironed out in Csipsimple. I have found that doing a fresh registration when this happens seems to stop the issue.
I also wonder if it is a case of an occasional missed packet during the codec negotiation stage of the offending calls making csip do this??

Btw, the build I am currently using is 0.00-16 r591

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi Baldrick, are you still listening?

The one-way audio, although it sometimes still happens, isn't a major problem anymore. But I get people complaining that I sound like I'm standing under a waterfall, or somebody is using a riveter nest to me, or there is a train going by. All the time, I am hearing the other person loud and clear. I have no personal experience of these noises, but people say they can hardly make out what I am saying. People have told me that for years, but this is different. It doesn't happen all the time, but more often than not.

Apart from that, I get the audio quality varying from awful to unusable in places where the 3G/HSPA signal is anything other than 5 bars. I don't know whether Optus' HSPA coverage is a lot worse than I thought, or I just hang around bad signal areas. Download speeds are pretty slow most of the time, but sometimes I get 5 or 6 mb/s. By and large, when my phone rings when I am out and about, I consider myself very fortunate if myself and the other party are actually able to understand each other. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I've tried endless different versions of cSipSimple but nothing seems to make any difference. Things work reasonably when I am at home or at my girlfriend's place, using the WiFi connections. What I don't know is whether the VoIP can work successfully using 3G, as I have seen very few places where the display is indicating steadily "H". Usually it is wobbling back and forth between the two, or I'm only getting "3G".

Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody wbo's got VoIP working well on a Desire HD?

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm

freddyzdead wrote:Hi Baldrick, are you still listening?
Hiya freddyzdead, yep I still lurk around here a bit. :)

About the sound quality, I had this happen to me 1 day about a month or so back while I was in Sydney for a few days. Other than that, it seems really quite good quality wise up here in sunny Tamworth. Maybe it is just the lower population up here meaning less congestion on the Optus network.
I am still having occasional problems with calls both incoming & outgoing having no audio at my end while the other end hears me fine. This problem is very pronounced with calls to & from mobile services.Just wish that problem could be solved by CSip & I think I would be very happy with it as my main Android phone app.

Fwiw, I did run SipDroid for a while. It worked ok, but I had too much trouble keeping registration with it. ( It would show as registered, but incoming calls would just be diverted to my voicemail after the phone had been idle for a couple of hours. I dropped it & went back to Csip as even with the faults, it still seems just that little bit better than sipdroid, 3cx, etc apps I have tried.)

If anyone knows of any other good Android clients I too would really like to know about them. :)

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

I gave up on 3G VOIP, not reliable, reverted to a CAP plan.

Only use VOIP occasionally now for outgoing calls over WiFi/ADSL, rather than when I was trying to use it over 3G for all calls.

I'm using CSIPSimple 0.615 from Market on a N1.

IIRC changes from default setup are:

network:
lock wifi yes, udp yes, tcp no, ice yes, stun yes, incoming/outgoing use wifi=yes, incoming/outgoing use *=no

media:
connection bandwidth=wifi=narrowband, codecs=pcmu pcma g729, micro amplification=speaker amplification=1.5