Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
newairly

Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by newairly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 am

Has anyone knowledge as to whether my E160E modem, which I currently use on Win XP, will work with an ASUS eeePC 900 netbook running Linux.
If I just plug it in will Linux recognize the modem and are there any other tweaks necessary to get it to connect?

Phil

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 am

There is nothing easier than running a Linux EEE with a Huawei modem. It's often just plug it in, and use the menu. If you have an Ubuntu-based OS (inc Ubuntu, Easy-Peasy, etc) on board, that's it - the Gnome network manager recognises Exetel and has a menu item for it.

Other less common distros can be more complex. Virtually nobody runs the clumsy and buggy Xandros version that older EEEs originally came with, for very good reasons.

If you need to change the OS, there are only a few USB external CD drives that work on 900s, otherwise use unetbootin (on either Windows or Linux) to convert and load an iso file to a usb stick.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 am

newairly wrote:Has anyone knowledge as to whether my E160E modem, which I currently use on Win XP, will work with an ASUS eeePC 900 netbook running Linux.
If I just plug it in will Linux recognize the modem and are there any other tweaks necessary to get it to connect?

Phil
It's just plug 'N play kinda..... ;)
Dazzled wrote:There is nothing easier than running a Linux EEE with a Huawei modem.
I can't agree more as the OS should identify the Dongle/SIM and the provider automatically.

Cheers,
Theje

newairly

Thanks for the info

Post by newairly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 am

Thank you for the reassurance.
The eeepc 900 is running the original ASUS Linux as supplied with the unit. It is (I believe) Ubuntu so hopefully all will go smoothly. I have not got my hands on it yet so just checking if I am likely to have a problem.

thejeg

Re: Thanks for the info

Post by thejeg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 am

newairly wrote:Thank you for the reassurance.
The eeepc 900 is running the original ASUS Linux as supplied with the unit. It is (I believe) Ubuntu so hopefully all will go smoothly. I have not got my hands on it yet so just checking if I am likely to have a problem.
shouldn't have a problem... but let me know how you progress with it......... :)

newairly

Post by newairly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 am

I have just discovered that the linux that comes with the eeepc 900 is actually a version of Xandros.
How will this affect the setting up of the E160E modem?
Phil

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 pm

newairly wrote:I have just discovered that the linux that comes with the eeepc 900 is actually a version of Xandros.
How will this affect the setting up of the E160E modem?
Phil
Xandros has a driver that can be downloaded (you may google it)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Must be the last Eee-Xandros still breathing. It certainly handicaps a brilliant device.

There is a lot of useful information about earlier model Eees at http://www.eeeuser.com/, particularly in the wiki.

A far superior OS, with thousands of apps available at the press of a button is Ubuntu. You can run either the desktop version, or a special remix for small screens (netbook remix).

The Ubuntu netbook remix comes configured ready to run, with all necessary kernel adaptions for the odd hardware on 900 series machines, from http://www.geteasypeasy.com/. I recommend you get the EasyPeasy iso file, and using unetbootin on Windows, http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/, create a bootable usb drive. You can demo Easy Peasy by booting from the usb stick (press escape at startup). If you like it, you can install it.

I wrote here once about using a small Eee with a VoIP softphone on board as a largish mobile phone.

newairly

Post by newairly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks Dazzled,

Easy Peasy looks like the bees knees. I will take your advice and get it onto a USB stick and try it. It seems to have just about everything that I could ever need on a little portable, especially if it connects to the E160E without a fiddle as well.

Phil

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:44 pm

You might find a few icons etc confusing at first after Xandros - try the top left one for "home". If having apps always maximised on screen bothers you, it is controlled by an app called maximus. You can untick it in the startup preferences if desired.

EasyPeasy is still a tweaked Ubuntu, so the whole vast software centre is there for the using.

newairly

Post by newairly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

Hi Dazzled,

I have got Easy Peasy 1.6 from their web site. Contents seem to have been updated in April 2010 so fairly up to date Firefox etc.
I have installed it on a USB stick according to the instructions on the Easy Peasy web site download page, and tried it on my HP laptop, running from the USB stick. Seems to work perfectly! Nice to have my favorite applications all ready to go.
Connected to my Wi Fi network no probs and recognised the E160E. Unfortunately I do not have any mobile coverage at home so could not actually connect via 3G.
Now waiting to get the ASUS EEEPC 900. Bought on eBay.
Thanks for your, and others, help and for pointing me towards Easy Peasy.

Phil

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 am

Glad it's working. The 900 and 901 models have some uncommon hardware in them, and EasyPeasy has the required tweaks already done for you. It isn't built on the latest version of Ubuntu though, so would be worth watching developments for 900 compatibility. The kernel in EasyPeasy is a custom build, by Adam McDaniel, to suit Eee hardware http://array.org/ubuntu/. It wouldn't hurt to uninstall apps that assume a CD drive, or heavyweight stuff like Xsane scanner. If you have a VoIP service, the default Ekiga softphone works ok.

While you are building bootable USB sticks, if you need to save space, you could also look into http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/release ... pc_edition - a much more lightweight Linux OS for Eees.

PS Crunchbang has a fascination for Satanic desktop themes - but you can change them.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 am

newairly wrote:Unfortunately I do not have any mobile coverage at home so could not actually connect via 3G.
Try connecting with "WCDMA Only".

Alternatively, you can go for a YAGI antenna Image to see if you can improve the signals.

newairly

Post by newairly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:45 am

I have tried the Exetel Yagi. Borrowed one from local reseller. Spent over an hour trying various locations on top of the roof but could only get occasional, and very slow connection. I am 30km, non line of sight, from the closest Optus tower. Can't get Telstra either!
I use Activ8 satellite for my normal connection. No ADSL here either. I use the Exetel 3G when I am travelling.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 pm

newairly wrote:I have tried the Exetel Yagi. Borrowed one from local reseller. Spent over an hour trying various locations on top of the roof but could only get occasional, and very slow connection. I am 30km, non line of sight, from the closest Optus tower. Can't get Telstra either!
I use Activ8 satellite for my normal connection. No ADSL here either. I use the Exetel 3G when I am travelling.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil
Shoot me your HSPA Mobile service number to thejeg@exetel.com.au ASAP enabling me to look whats going on?