Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
newairly
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am
Location: Uralla, NSW

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by newairly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:34 am

thejeg

Done that,
What do you expect to see given that I have no connection?

Phil

thejeg

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by thejeg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:00 pm

newairly wrote:What do you expect to see given that I have no connection?
Now that I have your Mobile Service number, I will contact the wholesale service provider to confirm the actual problem that you are experiencing, check the GMAPS (Optus coverage maps) and see what sort of an issue that you are experiencing (will it going last for a long time or is it just few days/weeks/months/year?)

I will get back to you as soon as I have their reply in hand.............. :)

newairly
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am
Location: Uralla, NSW

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by newairly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 am

Dazzled wrote:Glad it's working. The 900 and 901 models have some uncommon hardware in them, and EasyPeasy has the required tweaks already done for you. It isn't built on the latest version of Ubuntu though, so would be worth watching developments for 900 compatibility. The kernel in EasyPeasy is a custom build, by Adam McDaniel, to suit Eee hardware http://array.org/ubuntu/. It wouldn't hurt to uninstall apps that assume a CD drive, or heavyweight stuff like Xsane scanner. If you have a VoIP service, the default Ekiga softphone works ok.

While you are building bootable USB sticks, if you need to save space, you could also look into http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/release ... pc_edition - a much more lightweight Linux OS for Eees.

PS Crunchbang has a fascination for Satanic desktop themes - but you can change them.
The current release of Easy Peasy 1.6 dated April 2010 is based on Ubuntu 10.04. It includes Firefox 3.6.3 and Picasa amongst many other popular applications. I notice that Ubuntu 11 is due for release on April 28.
I will keep an eye open for any new version of Easy Peasy using Ubuntu 11 because the current release came out at about the same time as a previous Ubuntu.
Easy Peasy takes only 850MB on the USB stick. How much space will it take when installed?

Do you know anything about Ubuntu Netbook? How does it compare with Easy Peasy, especially in included apps.

Phil

thejeg

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by thejeg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 am

newairly wrote:Easy Peasy takes only 850MB on the USB stick. How much space will it take when installed?
You shouldn't have any problem but you have to be very careful with the addon's you install later on and the updates.... If you select all the updates.... and install em everyday..... your disk space will fill up in NO time.....
newairly wrote:Do you know anything about Ubuntu Netbook? How does it compare with Easy Peasy, especially in included apps.
Easy Peasy comes with the very basic, most wanted drivers but you can go ahead and download the available software's which makes Easy Peasy similar or better than Ubuntu Netbook :D

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 am

Size installed: It's so long I have to try hard to remember, but it is in the order of 2.5-3 Gigabytes all up with apps. Linux is extremely efficient, and as the shared libraries are open source, you don't get endless duplication from proprietary .dll files. I disagree with Theje about updates - the one I look after still hasn't been slimmed down, but removal of the ever-growing update cache contents after a while is worth considering. Boot your stick and run the Disk Usage Analyser.

NBR: EasyPeasy is running Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It is not the latest Ubuntu release because Adam hasn't got round to building an updated kernel (see my previous reference). EasyPeasy has updated many apps however. If you wish you can install the latest Ubuntu NBR, but there is a large gotcha for noobs -- the 900 model has some unique networking hardware which will require quite a bit of tweaking. Late model Eees don't have this problem.

It is possible to switch the NBR back and forward to/from standard desktop Gnome for some jobs, but the small screen doesn't make it comfortable.

Apps: Since EasyPeasy uses Ubuntu repositories, the same range of apps is available as an official Ubuntu NBR. One difference is that EasyPeasy includes some proprietory applications by default. (You have to separately get Flash and video drivers if you install standard Ubuntu, for example). You just visit the software repo, make a selection, and it's there ready to run.

Drivers: Linux differs from Windows in the way hardware is interfaced. Hardware is driven directly from the Linux kernel, which is modular. Individual modules can be switched in and out at will using the terminal command modprobe. modprobe -l will list all the modules currently installed (try it from your stick), which will by default include a huge range of low-level hardware. Adam's (array.org) kernel has the 900 and 901 Eee series covered, along with all the others likely to be found on a small laptop and standard desktop. The kernel image file itself is very compact on disk, less than 2 MB. It expands in RAM at boot time.


PS See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... /Netbooks/ for the official Ubuntu release's compatibility/tweak list. The 900 isn't included for some reason, though the 901 is.

thejeg

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by thejeg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Dazzled wrote:but removal of the ever-growing update cache contents after a while is worth considering.
I agree with Dazzled on this :)

thejeg

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by thejeg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:07 am

newairly wrote:What do you expect to see given that I have no connection?
Hi Phil,

BAD news................. following is the exact reply I've got from our wholesale supplier.


This address lies in a zone with no guaranteed 3G in building coverage, therefore WBB cannot be serviced at this location. Please advise the customer of this.
Also please be aware that Wholesale Mobile customer service is not open on Sunday.


Don't worry about the part which says "please be aware that Wholesale Mobile customer service is not open on Sunday" it's because I was bugging them for an update :)

Unfortunately, you will have to organize an alternate method to obtain internet to your premises :(

newairly
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am
Location: Uralla, NSW

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by newairly » Sun May 01, 2011 9:32 am

thejeg wrote:
newairly wrote:What do you expect to see given that I have no connection?
Hi Phil,

BAD news................. following is the exact reply I've got from our wholesale supplier.


This address lies in a zone with no guaranteed 3G in building coverage, therefore WBB cannot be serviced at this location. Please advise the customer of this.
Also please be aware that Wholesale Mobile customer service is not open on Sunday.


Don't worry about the part which says "please be aware that Wholesale Mobile customer service is not open on Sunday" it's because I was bugging them for an update :)

Unfortunately, you will have to organize an alternate method to obtain internet to your premises :(
I am not too fussed about getting mobile broadband at home. My reason for having it was to get connection when away from home, and it does that very well. I use satellite via Activ8 for my home connection. I am still hopeful that one day Optus may use a tower recently erected by NSW Police radio at Kingstown, 40km west of Uralla. This tower is about 25km line of site from here so should work well, especially with a small yagi. However I have had no response from Optus to enquiries about their possible use of it. The tower was designed to carry other services if needed. If you can find out anything I would be very interested to hear. My address, if Optus need an exact location is: Thunderbolts Way, near Yarrowyck.
My question when I started this thread was about getting a E160E modem working on an eeepc 900 with linux. This seems to have been resolved, I hope. I pick up the eeepc from the post office tomorrow but in the mean time I have run Easy Peasy Linux from a memory stick on a laptop. Connection to Exetel is so simple because the necessary scripts are there and all you have to do is select country and service provider and it just connects. It even seems faster. I was in Toowoomba for this test, not here.

[Edited to remove the exact personal address from the forum, by Dazzled}

thejeg

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by thejeg » Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 am

newairly wrote:I am still hopeful that one day Optus may use a tower recently erected by NSW Police radio at Kingstown, 40km west of Uralla. This tower is about 25km line of site from here so should work well, especially with a small yagi. However I have had no response from Optus to enquiries about their possible use of it. The tower was designed to carry other services if needed. If you can find out anything I would be very interested to hear. My address, if Optus need an exact location is: Thunderbolts Way, near Yarrowyck.
I have emailed Optus Wholesale Mobile in anticipation to get a positive reply as to when they will be servicing Thunderbolt's Way, Yarrowyck, NSW. (I have your exact address)

I will update this thread as an when I hear anything from them.....

brumer
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Kingston SE, S.A.

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by brumer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Back to the topic or close to it......

I've got a USB Huawei E1762 stick with an activated SIM in it on the older C1 plan.
When I use it on XP computer I have no trouble when I use 'exetel1' as the APN.

When I try using it on the same desktop when booted up into 'some form of linux' it won't accept the same APN.
I wonder if some kind soul on here would like to help me have some fun?

It may take a half hour of your time & you'll need an empty 4gig USB stick for installation of the program.
Anyone with a windows computer can do it with no effect on your operating system. (boots to USB stick)
This install includes firefox, and more importantly a navigation program as well as a lot of others.

www.navigatrix.net
Download the 2 files.
Install to USB.
Set bios to boot from USB.
Follow the following if need be.
(QUOTE)
To do so, open a new terminal window by pressing ctrl+alt+t afterwards enter sudo gedit /etc/sakis3g.conf. You will be asked for your password. The default password on a harddisk installation is navigatrix. If you start from the usb stick, no password will be asked. If you choosed a different passowrd during instllation, you have to use this.
Now comes the tricky part. You need to get the APN for your internet provider. In case of Cable and Wireless Panama the APN is apn01.cwpanama.com.pa. If you use another provider, ask the provider for the APN.
If the SIM card inside the USB Modem uses a PIN, you need to have this PIN as well. Now change the values inside the sakis3g.conf to look like this:

APN="apn01.cwpanama.com.pa"
APN_USER="a"
APN_PASS="a"
DIAL="*99#"
SIM_PIN="1111"

Change 1111 to match the PIN of your SIM card or remove the SIM_PIN="1111" line completely if the SIM has no PIN. And the APN to whatever you got from your Provider. Thats it. Save everything, press ctrl+alt+3 and you will be connected to the Internet. I checked different USB Modems without any problems so far. However, there is a small possibility that some modems are incompatible. For example, i do not know if a 4G modem will work.
(ENDQUOTE)

Love to hear back from someone?

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 pm

You didn't tell me I have to sign my life away to get a copy! Anyway, 800 MB is a bit much for just a quick look around. If it's Ubuntu based, there could be a file /etc/wvdial.conf that holds the data for dial-up modems, which is what the Huawei actually is. Could you have a look? Even better, is the Ubuntu network manager GUI running (an icon in the corner, near the logout and shut down button)? If the network manager is there, Exetel is already included for wireless broadband - just select and go.

What can this distro do that can't be done with a conventional desktop distro with whatever nautical software you need installed as well? (http://opencpn.org/ocpn/ for example). One attraction of major systems like Ubuntu, Mint etc, is the huge and very helpful community with widely read forums. These also run on a modest USB stick if you wish (eg, see http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ for putting a live iso on a stick).

The GPS daemon is in the Ubuntu repositories. I have no experience with the Sakis3G script whose file is bothering you - see http://www.sakis3g.org/ - the wiki might have something.

brumer
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Kingston SE, S.A.

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by brumer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm so sorry! I had my programs mixed up & thought this was the smaller one.
It does seem like that sakis3g.conf may be the trouble.
It appears to enter the APN as exetel1. rather than exetel1 (full stop?)
I'll keep trying.
After googling around it appears to be a common problem with the Huawei modems.
As a last resort I can connect my Billion 7404VGPX & then plug the USB stick in that.
Not so convenient when out in the blue........

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:16 pm

gksudo gedit /etc/sakis3g.conf will enable you to edit the file without full stop problems. You need to use gksudo to give the editor admin rights over a system file. (sudo is used for terminal commands)

I decided to download opencpn for a peek instead - I got the 32bit Ubuntu 12.04 version. It was a 30 MB .deb package file, so simply left clicking got it installed. My present setup was only short one file dependency (the installer tells you) and I got it with the Synaptic package manager built in. The software user manual lists the dependencies and the simple command that loads them. This exercise only took a couple of minutes tops. Not a lot of use to me without local charts but I imagine that isn't a problem for a boatie.

This deb file would be fully compatible with the current Linux Mint Mate OS, which is an excellent operating system with everything included free of cost. If I needed to navigate, and were a Linux newbie I'd run opencpn on Mint, rather than get an obscure specialist distro. Linux is quite modest in size, even with a plethora of installed graphic software, and runs from DVDs or memory sticks. In any case Mint will do a dual boot install on a Windows machine if you must. If you have a suitable old computer about, try an installation - being efficient, it doesn't need anything like the hardware Microsoft insists on. (And, as above, Exetel modem setup is pre-installed)

brumer
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Kingston SE, S.A.

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by brumer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Well thankyou Dazzled but to someone that knows nothing about most of what you wrote it unfortunately means very little to me.
I've been using the really old cmap program but as it was written for Windows 95 it's a real pain in the butt.
It will only run in 256 colours. (compatable mode in XP is OK but then it won't return the desktop colours again)
It also has big problems finding & using the USB port for the USB GPS (well really the COM port)
I have EVERYTHING working on the program I mentioned except the USB internet connection.
Rather than spend another week on it I'll just dual boot so I can boot into XP when in port or close to shore or maybe grab another old laptop to run the navigation from.
To be honest those Huawei modems were a pain in the butt sometimes even in Windows!! I should know as I've installed enough of them!! (until they stopped paying a commission!)

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Asus eeePC 900 linux and E160E modem

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:59 pm

exetel1 is the APN for wireless broadband, and *99# is the dial code. I noticed in the Sakis3G manual online that user name and password entries are required, even if they are ignored by the ISP, so I suppose any letter there will do.

I'm wondering though if sakis3G can find the modem - I noted in the online documentation these entries to pin down the modem location are allowed in the sakis3G.conf file:
OTHER=CUSTOM_TTY
CUSTOM_TTY="/dev/ttyUSB0"
APN=CUSTOM_APN
CUSTOM_APN="exetel1"

etc

To find the actual file name given to your USB modem when it was plugged into the computer, in a terminal type:
dmesg | grep -e "modem" -e "tty"
It may be /dev/ttyUSB2 for example, depending on how the OS numbered the USB ports.

It takes only 15 minutes or so to install a Mint DVD in a computer - just answer a few questions up front, and go and get a coffee. It only takes this long because a huge array of apps is also installed, including an office suite. Getting the chart app up on a computer took a couple of minutes. and another two to get the GPS daemon etc, just following clear instructions. At least we all know how Mint works, and it beats anything by Microsoft into a cocked hat for reliability - it would be worth your while. Huaweis are fairly straightforward dial-up modems, and don't give much trouble; unlike Windows, no modem drivers need be installed in Mint or Ubuntu.

Post Reply