edge and gprs on Android phone using MOIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
granny1

edge and gprs on Android phone using MOIP

Post by granny1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:44 am

Hi,
just wondering if you need GPRS AND EDGE activated on Moip using Android, and if not how do you stop them from activating all the time?.
Also if anyone knows how to stop the WiFi activating on the phone/
Thank you Granny

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: edge and gprs on Android phone using MOIP

Post by jokiin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 am

Optus don't have an EDGE network, it will fall back to GPRS if 3G isn't available but MoIP wouldn't happen over GPRS, no harm in having them anyway though so nothing to disable, for wireless there are settings in the setup menu for that

granny1

Post by granny1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Thank you for that.
Regards Granny

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 pm

granny1, I am assuming you are still using CSipSimple. I would recommend to disable both GPRS & Edge. The reason for this is that if you have a poor signal & GPRS is enabled your Sip account will register & calls will come in. The problem is then that the delays on voice make it absolutely useless & frustrating. I use only WiFi & 3G. When you are on mobile network you need a quite good signal strength with 3G or HSDPA for the voice to work properly.
Your problem with these options being enabled all the the time is that you must be looking in your 'easy configuration' part of your wizard which when you just look at it automatically overrides any settings you have made through the networks wizard.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 03, 2011 4:13 am

granny1 wrote:Hi,
just wondering if you need GPRS AND EDGE activated on Moip using Android, and if not how do you stop them from activating all the time?.
Also if anyone knows how to stop the WiFi activating on the phone/
Thank you Granny
To turn off GPRS/EDGE please follow the settings mentioned below. I found this information from here

Open dialer.
Dial *#*#4636#*#* to open “Testing” screen.
Tap on Phone Information.
Press the Menu key or button.
Tap on More.
Tap on Disable data connection to disconnect and make inactive any data connection immediately.

Tap on Disable data on boot to disable data connection on next boot up.

granny1

Post by granny1 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Baldrick,
Sorry for not replying before but, have only just got back.
Yes, I am still using csipsimple,
I have just disabled Data Connection and I just made a call and it was a very bad connection the other party could only here me intermittently.
Regards granny

granny1

Post by granny1 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:34 am

Hi thejeg,
Thank you for the info, I read the article and then found the disable on the phone (Android 2.2)
It seems to have worked okay.
Just wondering though I tried just using the ordinary dialer and it changed straight to the csipsimple dialer, I suppose that is okay?
Regards granny

shoner

Post by shoner » Tue May 03, 2011 10:06 am

granny1 wrote:Hi thejeg,
Thank you for the info, I read the article and then found the disable on the phone (Android 2.2)
It seems to have worked okay.
Just wondering though I tried just using the ordinary dialer and it changed straight to the csipsimple dialer, I suppose that is okay?
Regards granny
It should be OK.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

granny1

Post by granny1 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Thank you shoner
Regards granny

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Alternatively, rather than disabling GRPS and EDGE on your phone so you are totally without data when out of 3G range, just do the disable within CSipSimple.

Menu->Settings->Network->For incoming calls: deselect GPRS & EDGE.

Personally I find the 3G signal inconsistent enought that I also disable 3G and generally only do SIP over Wifi.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 am

samarium wrote:Alternatively, rather than disabling GRPS and EDGE on your phone so you are totally without data when out of 3G range, just do the disable within CSipSimple.

Menu->Settings->Network->For incoming calls: deselect GPRS & EDGE.

Personally I find the 3G signal inconsistent enought that I also disable 3G and generally only do SIP over Wifi.
But I still Suggest/advice anyone;
thejeg wrote:To turn off GPRS/EDGE please follow the settings mentioned below. I found this information from here

Open dialer.
Dial *#*#4636#*#* to open “Testing” screen.
Tap on Phone Information.
Press the Menu key or button.
Tap on More.
Tap on Disable data connection to disconnect and make inactive any data connection immediately.

Tap on Disable data on boot to disable data connection on next boot up.
which is safe :)

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed May 04, 2011 11:22 am

Safe is irrelevant in this case. Nobody is going to get hurt or get slugged with a large bill.

thejeg what you are suggesting is a bad idea in this context as it turns off functionality such as email and many others which will work fine on GPRS, albeit the data will transfer slowly. Further, if I can't get thru to someone on VOIP, I may want to send them an email, and what you are proposing will stop that working.

There are times when I will turn off my data connection on purpose, especially when I'm in a very low signal area and/or trying to conserve battery, but that is a seperate specific decision independent of how I configure CSipSimple, and further if you set it up correctly in CSipSimple it is automatically correct in the further and you don't have to keep on manually tweaking things every time you are in a low signal area.

shoner

Post by shoner » Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 am

samarium wrote: and further if you set it up correctly in CSipSimple it is automatically correct in the further and you don't have to keep on manually tweaking things every time you are in a low signal area.
samarium... would you mind sharing this bit of knowledge with us or point us to the source, where everyone would benefit from :D Would really appreciate the info :wink:
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

granny1

Post by granny1 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi samarium,
I tried doing what you suggested bit it keeps reverting back to on.
Also for out going calls as well.
I deselect wifi, edge gprs and next time I look its reselected again.
Obviously I have some setting wrong somewhere.
I am leaving for Melb tonight for 10 days so I really wanted to have this set right.
Regards Granny

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed May 04, 2011 1:35 pm

samarium wrote:Safe is irrelevant in this case. Nobody is going to get hurt or get slugged with a large bill.

thejeg what you are suggesting is a bad idea in this context as it turns off functionality such as email and many others which will work fine on GPRS, albeit the data will transfer slowly. Further, if I can't get thru to someone on VOIP, I may want to send them an email, and what you are proposing will stop that working.

There are times when I will turn off my data connection on purpose, especially when I'm in a very low signal area and/or trying to conserve battery, but that is a seperate specific decision independent of how I configure CSipSimple, and further if you set it up correctly in CSipSimple it is automatically correct in the further and you don't have to keep on manually tweaking things every time you are in a low signal area.
Which ever fits the user :)