edge and gprs on Android phone using MOIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Re: edge and gprs on Android phone using MOIP

Postby samarium on Wed May 04, 2011 2:46 pm

shoner wrote:
samarium wrote: and further if you set it up correctly in CSipSimple it is automatically correct in the further and you don't have to keep on manually tweaking things every time you are in a low signal area.

samarium... would you mind sharing this bit of knowledge with us or point us to the source, where everyone would benefit from :D Would really appreciate the info :wink:

Have you looked at the place I said above:

CSipSimple: Menu->Settings->Network->For incoming calls: deselect GPRS & EDGE.

nb also do Outgoing Calls.

Also, is there a way I can upload images to the forum, so I can use the IMG tag?
samarium

Postby samarium on Wed May 04, 2011 2:51 pm

granny1 wrote:Hi samarium,
I tried doing what you suggested bit it keeps reverting back to on.
Also for out going calls as well.
I deselect wifi, edge gprs and next time I look its reselected again.
Obviously I have some setting wrong somewhere.
I am leaving for Melb tonight for 10 days so I really wanted to have this set right.
Regards Granny

Not sure why it is forgetting your settings. My version says, in Menu->Help, 0.01-01 r615, is yours the same??

Need to do both Incoming and Outgoing calls.
I tend to leave WiFi on, turn everything else off. I guess you should have WiFi + 3G? Maybe if you have nothing selected it is turning things back on?

I also have UDP only, not TCP.
I have QoS, ICE & STUN enabled.
samarium

Postby granny1 on Wed May 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi samarium,
Yes it is the same version as yours.
These settings are the same,
I also have UDP only, not TCP.
I have QoS, ICE & STUN enabled.
I have turned wifi to see if that makes any difference.
I will just have to put up with it I suppose and watch the battery.
Thank you
Regards Granny
granny1

Postby thejeg on Thu May 05, 2011 8:56 am

granny1 wrote:I will just have to put up with it I suppose and watch the battery.

Or

Use my method and avoid doing the following.

thejeg wrote:Tap on Disable data on boot to disable data connection on next boot up.
thejeg

Postby samarium on Thu May 05, 2011 2:48 pm

If I had to choose between manually turing off the data connection using the *#*#info#*#* method and thus disabling all data services, and manually turning off CSipSimple's Exetel connection, I'd just manually turn off CSipSimple:

CSipSimple: Menu->Account->Exetel <touch to deactivate/activate>

assuming of course that your Exetel connection is called Exetel.

This is simpler, and all other data services can continue to work.
samarium

Postby thejeg on Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 am

samarium wrote:This is simpler, and all other data services can continue to work.

I agree with you on that :D
thejeg

Postby samarium on Mon May 09, 2011 5:04 pm

CSipSImple was updated on my phone this morning granny1, you might want to update and see if you can get it to remember 3G in/out coming setting.
samarium

Postby shoner on Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 am

samarium wrote:CSipSImple was updated on my phone this morning granny1, you might want to update and see if you can get it to remember 3G in/out coming setting.

Hope that the update would solve granny1's issue.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby granny1 on Sun May 15, 2011 8:59 am

Hi,
Thank you for your help ....Mine is still showing ver: 0.01-01r615
Phone usage for the 10 days in Melbourne was terrible the reception was that bad and scratchy couldn't talk on the phone at all.... MOST DISAPPOINTING...
Just using OPTUS on its own the Phone was great ,but exetel was a no go.
I don't know how to update csipsimple.
Regards Granny
granny1

Postby samarium on Mon May 16, 2011 4:31 pm

granny1 wrote:Hi,
Regards Granny

If you installed it using Market, then open up market and go to my apps, and it, and probably others should show that they need updating, so give it a go.

If you installed manually by installing an apk that you downloaded yourself from a website, then do the same again.
samarium

Postby freddyzdead on Mon May 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Hey guys, I am experiencing the same trouble as Granny1. I set CSIPSimple to "Always On" and it keeps setting itself to "WiFi only" and it keeps turning GPRS and EDGE on again after I turned them off.

I've just been in USA for the last 2 months and didn't use 3G or any part of the phone at all (no roaming). I just used SIP with WiFi and it worked beautifully. I rang my girlfriend every night and talked for 2 hours. Now I'm back home, it's next to useless. It's mostly ok when I'm home and using WiFi, but when I'm out and about all I get is stuttering or half-conversations or just nothing at all. Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm connected with 3G or HSPA. Am I just a victim of crap Optus 3G coverage? I live in Gosford north of Sydney, Optus map shows that coverage is fine, but downloads are usually pretty slow.

Is there anybody who has got SIP actually working on Android with the Exetel/Optus 3G network? This is the whole reason I dumped Vodafone and got Exetel HSPA service. This way all calls go thru my mobile wherever I am. That was the idea, anyway, except it doesn't work. Is there another solution that actually does work? I've got quite a bit of patience, but it's beginning to run out.
freddyzdead

Postby samarium on Mon May 16, 2011 7:03 pm

freddyzdead wrote:Hey guys, I am experiencing the same trouble as Granny1. I set CSIPSimple to "Always On" and it keeps setting itself to "WiFi only" and it keeps turning GPRS and EDGE on again after I turned them off.

I've just been in USA for the last 2 months and didn't use 3G or any part of the phone at all (no roaming). I just used SIP with WiFi and it worked beautifully. I rang my girlfriend every night and talked for 2 hours. Now I'm back home, it's next to useless. It's mostly ok when I'm home and using WiFi, but when I'm out and about all I get is stuttering or half-conversations or just nothing at all. Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm connected with 3G or HSPA. Am I just a victim of crap Optus 3G coverage? I live in Gosford north of Sydney, Optus map shows that coverage is fine, but downloads are usually pretty slow.

Is there anybody who has got SIP actually working on Android with the Exetel/Optus 3G network? This is the whole reason I dumped Vodafone and got Exetel HSPA service. This way all calls go thru my mobile wherever I am. That was the idea, anyway, except it doesn't work. Is there another solution that actually does work? I've got quite a bit of patience, but it's beginning to run out.

It appears to work for me, but I only use it for outdial over WiFI/ADSL. Interestingly I'm told that duing the evening peak period when I used Exetel VOIP as outdial, the voice quality is bad, however when I use Pennytel the voice quality is better. Don't have enough data to draw much of a curve at the moment.

Are you using the latest version from the Market? 0.02-01 r841 is what I have installed.

Good coverage is irrelevant if the spectrum and/or backhaul is congested, and much harder to quantify for us, although slow downloads may be an indicator.
samarium

Postby thejeg on Tue May 17, 2011 5:39 am

Phone usage for the 10 days in Melbourne was terrible the reception was that bad and scratchy couldn't talk on the phone at all.... MOST DISAPPOINTING...
Just using OPTUS on its own the Phone was great ,but exetel was a no go.
Regards Granny

Can you please try selecting G7711µ law to see if the Scratchy noise disappear?
thejeg

Postby granny1 on Tue May 17, 2011 7:58 am

Hi,
I have updated csipsimple and websms, so hopefully that will help.
Regards Granny
granny1

Postby shoner on Tue May 17, 2011 10:51 am

I have updated csipsimple and websms, so hopefully that will help.
Regards Granny

Thats good, let us know how it goes
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

PreviousNext

Return to HSPA connections