Deteriorating HSPA service

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
klausmayer

Deteriorating HSPA service

Post by klausmayer » Tue May 17, 2011 9:14 am

A bit over 1 year ago I changed over to Exetel's HSPA service and I was impressed. Even VOIP was quite impressive.

After about 3 months though everything started to deteriorate until I logged a case late last year during which Exetel confirmed that Optus has problems with a tower (1 only?) which was supposed to be upgraded in March '11. Of course, there was no improvement since and the service just got poorer. Fortunately I do not rely on VOIP alone because sometimes I cannot make a call for hours, long delays, breaking up words, stretched out words etc etc. The signal dropped to 1-2 bars on the modem and sometimes disappears for several minutes. Ping responses have deteriorated from 80-90ms to 200-1500ms in this time.

I use the connection at 2 different locations and the second location started to have the same problems. I since bought a 9db and 12db antenna, both improved the signal but did not eliminate the complete dropouts. Sometimes both modems show briefly 100% signals but cannot connect at all.

If I could get ADSL2 I would change immediately back to copper. Because Optus 3G is going down the drain in the areas where I use it. Overnight the service is a bit more reliable, over Easter I could not use it for hours.

I need to highlight that this is an Optus problem because I bought a Vodafone modem to compare and in one location the Vodafone service is much better than Optus, whereas in the other location Vodafone seems to have the same issues as Optus.

Anyway, I really would like to remain an Exetel customer but I would appreciate if you would offer a service through an alternative carrier. I would quite happily pay a bit more to get a reliable service and to use VOIP at all times without having to repeat every second sentence or having to redial every few minutes.

shoner

Re: Deteriorating HSPA service

Post by shoner » Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 am

klausmayer wrote:A bit over 1 year ago I changed over to Exetel's HSPA service and I was impressed. Even VOIP was quite impressive.

After about 3 months though everything started to deteriorate until I logged a case late last year during which Exetel confirmed that Optus has problems with a tower (1 only?) which was supposed to be upgraded in March '11. Of course, there was no improvement since and the service just got poorer. Fortunately I do not rely on VOIP alone because sometimes I cannot make a call for hours, long delays, breaking up words, stretched out words etc etc. The signal dropped to 1-2 bars on the modem and sometimes disappears for several minutes. Ping responses have deteriorated from 80-90ms to 200-1500ms in this time.

I use the connection at 2 different locations and the second location started to have the same problems. I since bought a 9db and 12db antenna, both improved the signal but did not eliminate the complete dropouts. Sometimes both modems show briefly 100% signals but cannot connect at all.

If I could get ADSL2 I would change immediately back to copper. Because Optus 3G is going down the drain in the areas where I use it. Overnight the service is a bit more reliable, over Easter I could not use it for hours.

I need to highlight that this is an Optus problem because I bought a Vodafone modem to compare and in one location the Vodafone service is much better than Optus, whereas in the other location Vodafone seems to have the same issues as Optus.

Anyway, I really would like to remain an Exetel customer but I would appreciate if you would offer a service through an alternative carrier. I would quite happily pay a bit more to get a reliable service and to use VOIP at all times without having to repeat every second sentence or having to redial every few minutes.
Could you PM me your service number to investigate.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

klausmayer

Post by klausmayer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Haven't heard anything back from Exetel. May raise another service request although I don't have much hope left.

I spoke to a couple of Optus customers who use 3G on their mobile. Both confirmed that they have been without service sometimes for hours over the last few months because they live in nearby suburbs without 2G coverage. Otherwise they experience the same problem, dropouts, interrupted downloads, no connection at all etc etc

I guess it's a pity that Exetel uses the Optus network. I understand that there are many providers using the Optus network and it is probably completely overloaded.

After having had enough problems for such a long time, I went and bought a Telstra pre-pay stick on Saturday. 90ms pings, nearly 100% signal strength, no dropouts, good download speed which just confirms that my hardware is working perfectly fine. I thought I would never buy a Telstra product anymore but the savings just don't make up for the pain that the Optus network is causing.

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 am

klausmayer wrote:Haven't heard anything back from Exetel. May raise another service request although I don't have much hope left.
I will check what has happened and get back to you before COB today (28/06)

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:13 pm

nuranj wrote:
klausmayer wrote:Haven't heard anything back from Exetel. May raise another service request although I don't have much hope left.
I will check what has happened and get back to you before COB today (28/06)
Please note that we checked and it seems like the supplier is having some issues at the base station and there is no ETA in the near future but it is been planned for an upgrade to boost reception and for your address in the early 2013 (01/2013).