Tethering rates on WBP plan

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Tethering rates on WBP plan

Postby iainpople on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi,

I am on the WBP HSPA plan. What is the cost per MB for tethering? Is it the normal 2c/mb charge?

thanks, Iain.
iainpople

Re: Tethering rates on WBP plan

Postby rukshani on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:33 pm

iainpople wrote:Hi,

I am on the WBP HSPA plan. What is the cost per MB for tethering? Is it the normal 2c/mb charge?

thanks, Iain.

With the correct APN, the charge will be 27.5 cents per MB.
rukshani
Exetel Staff

Postby Pyotr on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm

1. Is it considered "tethering" to use an Exetel wirless broadband sim (plan WI A) in a portable wifi modem such as Pocket WIFI (Huawei E585)? Effectively this device catches the 3g signal and passes data back and forth to other devices by wifi.

2. Is it also 'tethering" to use the Exetel sim in an Android phone where the phone can operate as a wifi hotspot as well as using the 3g data itself?

The Pocket WIFI in both cases is set up to use APN Exetel1.

3. If the answer is yes to 1 or 2 or both, does this mean data will be charged at 27.5c per mb?
Pyotr

Postby shoner on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Pyotr wrote:1. Is it considered "tethering" to use an Exetel wirless broadband sim (plan WI A) in a portable wifi modem such as Pocket WIFI (Huawei E585)? Effectively this device catches the 3g signal and passes data back and forth to other devices by wifi. ?

Yes.

Pyotr wrote:2. Is it also 'tethering" to use the Exetel sim in an Android phone where the phone can operate as a wifi hotspot as well as using the 3g data itself? ?

Yes.

Pyotr wrote:3. If the answer is yes to 1 or 2 or both, does this mean data will be charged at 27.5c per mb?

The price involved for tethering is best explained on the exewiki, see link below.
http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... nformation
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby Pyotr on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Thank you,
Are you sure? The Exewiki section you refer to only mentions rates for the Mobile cap plan (27.5c per mb) and for the Mobile per minute plan (24c per mb). There is no mention of rates for the Mobile Broadband plans whose names start with W.
http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... thering.3F

Also if the Exetel Mobile Broadband sim is used in an android phone (and quoting APN=Exetel1) directly for internet access on that phone and not for wifi hotspotting to other devices, then is this also "tethering" ?
Pyotr

Postby shoner on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Pyotr wrote:Thank you,
Are you sure? The Exewiki section you refer to only mentions rates for the Mobile cap plan (27.5c per mb) and for the Mobile per minute plan (24c per mb). There is no mention of rates for the Mobile Broadband plans whose names start with W.
http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... thering.3F

I will get a sales consultant to better respond to this.
Pyotr wrote:Also if the Exetel Mobile Broadband sim is used in an android phone (and quoting APN=Exetel1) directly for internet access on that phone and not for wifi hotspotting to other devices, then is this also "tethering" ?

This will not be categorised as tethering as only a single device is accessing the network.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby Pyotr on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:25 pm

shoner wrote:I will get a sales consultant to better respond to this.

Can a sales consultant advise?
Pyotr

Postby Mort on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:18 pm

I was using a pocket wifi with an Exetel MBB and it just counts as normal data. As far as I experienced and was aware there is no "tethering" fee on Optus related services, it's just a matter of making sure you are using the correct APN, which applies to any Exetel mobile service. The same applies when "tethering" through my wifes iPhone or my daughters Omnia7, both as a wifi hotspot and directly connected to the PC. It just counts as normal data that is either included in your plan or charged at whatever normal data is charged at.

That's just my experience though.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.
Mort

Postby iainpople on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 pm

What is the cost of tethering on the M8 plan assuming that you stay within the 200M included data?

thanks, Iain.
iainpople

Postby remosha on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

iainpople wrote:What is the cost of tethering on the M8 plan assuming that you stay within the 200M included data?

thanks, Iain.

As long as you use the correct APN, you will not be charged extra if you are to use the allocated download allowance of your plan.
remosha
Exetel Staff

Postby oblong on Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 am

remosha wrote:
iainpople wrote:What is the cost of tethering on the M8 plan assuming that you stay within the 200M included data?

thanks, Iain.

As long as you use the correct APN, you will not be charged extra if you are to use the allocated download allowance of your plan.

And what is that correct APN? I'll admit I'm confused.

http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... ervices.3F

I'm on M8, Android (Galaxy S II). That page says to use one of YESINTERNET, INTERNET, OPTUS WAP. I don't understand the comment in the "Tethering" column: "For Apple iPhone users ONLY - enable Tethering. For Android, Symbian or Other Mobile Handset, this is NOT Necessary and may incur data charges of $1.43 per MB."

What is not necessary? Does it mean one does not have to specially activate tethering in your Exetel account, or does it mean some setting on the handset?

Does it matter which of YESINTERNET or INTERNET is used?

Also, http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... happens_if talks about Layer 2 and layer 3. How do we know which applies? What happens if EXETEL1 (mentioned there) is used on M8/Android?
oblong

Postby udara on Tue May 01, 2012 12:28 pm

oblong wrote:And what is that correct APN? I'll admit I'm confused.

Would you be able to PM me your Mobile number so that i can confirm to you the correct APN that you should use .

I'm on M8, Android (Galaxy S II). That page says to use one of YESINTERNET, INTERNET, OPTUS WAP. I don't understand the comment in the "Tethering" column: "For Apple iPhone users ONLY - enable Tethering. For Android, Symbian or Other Mobile Handset, this is NOT Necessary and may incur data charges of $1.43 per MB."

What is not necessary? Does it mean one does not have to specially activate tethering in your Exetel account, or does it mean some setting on the handset?

With regards to your above question , there is an option on your members area where you will be able to enable Tethering , this needs to be done ONLY if you are using a Apple iPhone , as you are using a Android (Galaxy S II), you need not worry about this.

Simply enabling tethering on the mobile and adding the correct APN should do the trick :)

Does it matter which of YESINTERNET or INTERNET is used?

Yes , YESINTERNET is the APN setup for iPhones and INTERNETis the APN for all other phones (NOTE: this is only if YESINTERNET /INTERNET are the APN's programmed for your particular plan)

Also, http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... happens_if talks about Layer 2 and layer 3. How do we know which applies? What happens if EXETEL1 (mentioned there) is used on M8/Android?

Once you PM me your mobile number i will be able to confirm what APN you need to use :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============
udara
Exetel Staff

Postby maestro on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 pm

I am also on the M8 plan, and have my APN set to "INTERNET" and am using a Samsung Galaxy 5 (i5503).

I can use the internet from the phone, but when I enable wireless hotspot I get no data via the wireless. I can connect to the wireless and get a DHCP IP address from the phone, but I don't get any response from any website.

Is there something else I need to do to enable tethering on an Android device on the M8 plan?
maestro

Postby KavindaS on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 am

maestro wrote:I am also on the M8 plan, and have my APN set to "INTERNET" and am using a Samsung Galaxy 5 (i5503).

I can use the internet from the phone, but when I enable wireless hotspot I get no data via the wireless. I can connect to the wireless and get a DHCP IP address from the phone, but I don't get any response from any website.

Is there something else I need to do to enable tethering on an Android device on the M8 plan?

Kindly PM me your mobile service number. I need to first check if the tethering APN is enabled or not.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby maestro on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:40 pm

KavindaS wrote:Kindly PM me your mobile service number. I need to first check if the tethering APN is enabled or not.

I PM'ed the number to you last week. Has there been any progress on this?

Thank you
maestro

Next

Return to HSPA connections