Optus 3G/HSPA coverage on NSW Central Coast

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
freddyzdead

Optus 3G/HSPA coverage on NSW Central Coast

Post by freddyzdead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:17 pm

I have had my service running for 8 or 9 months now, using my HTC Desire HD high-end handset and the CSipSimple VoIP Android program. While I can say that it works in principle, I can only verify that it works usably if I am standing underneath a cell tower.

I live at Green Point, near Gosford, and my girlfriend lives at Springfield, about 10 minutes away. At both my place and hers, between which I spend 90% of my time, there is essentially no 3G signal. Often there is not even enough signal for the SIM card to register on the GSM network. The only connectivity I have is thru WiFi. Whenever I am out and about, the cellular part of the phone usually works ok, but I get extremely slow data speeds and the VoIP is unusable in most places. Sometimes it works ok, but those are not places where I spend much time. If I lived at West Gosford I would be all set because I measured 8 Mb/s there one day, but as a rule I get 300 kb/s if I'm lucky. That is not enough to sustain a VoIP connection. If I haven't got a full 5 bars of signal, which is hardly ever, I don't even bother trying.

When I have had to urgently access the internet, I have had to literally drive around and find a cell tower and park under it while I do my surfing. This works gloriously, but I have some trouble believing this is how it is supposed to be.

The whole reason I signed up for this service and got this expensive handset was so I could use it with my VoIP account and have a really nice communication setup no matter where I am. I don't have anything like that. Calls fail to connect, one party cannot hear the other, calls drop out, echo, stutter, the phone rings but there is nobody there...People are always telling me they've given up trying to get ahold of me.

Occasionally I go down to Sydney where I sometimes but by no means always get better results. Am I doing something wrong? Am I asking too much of the system?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Optus 3G/HSPA coverage on NSW Central Coast

Post by ShaminG » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Dear freddyzdead,

I have checked your address for coverage and the location doesn't show any known issues.

However, I do see a planned site in Davistown Road, SARATOGA which is scheduled to be completed by 19/04/2012. Hence, I have requested more information on your address from our wholesale carrier.

We will be following up the matter via Ticket ID: 4493298.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm

We will be following up the matter via Ticket ID: 4493298.
I have sent you an email requesting few information to further investigate the matter. Please reply back with the info enabling us to proceed with the reported issue.

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't see this until just now.

I didn't raise a fault ticket for this, because I don't consider it a fault as such; it's a chronic inability to get a good connection.
It is rare that I can get enough signal to support a VoIP connection.

However, I can give you my girlfriend's address:

Springfield 2250

This is relevant to her as well as she is also an Exetel mobile customer and has the same issues as I do. When she is at home
she uses MoIP via WiFi on her Nokia handset because that is the only connection that works. She doesn't seem to use it very
often, really. She has Exetel VoIP through an ATA and her ADSL connection which works very well.

A new tower at Davistown/Saratoga wouldn't make any difference over here, I don't think.

But really, my original question came down to:
Am I wasting my time trying to make VoIP work on the Optus 3G/HSPA network up here in this neighbourhood? Is there anybody
else who is using it successfully?
Last edited by Dazzled on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Detailed address removed

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for the address. I will investigate the matter further and provide you an update on this as early as possible.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 pm

And now that ShaminG has the information, to preserve the lady's privacy, I will remove the address.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:11 pm

And now that ShaminG has the information, to preserve the lady's privacy, I will remove the address.
8) , thanks Dazzled.

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 am

Ok, I'm getting a bit tired of this. There isn't any fault, so why keep trying to chase one? There isn't enough signal to support a VoIP connection unless I'm standing under a cell tower. But worse than that, there isn't even enough 3G signal to make a cellular call at my GF's place. I'm there now and neither of us has any signal. Can't make or receive any calls, what do we have phones for? I keep getting sms messages telling me I have missed calls.

My question now is: Does Exetel have any alternative to the useless Optus 3G network? Having good call rates does me no good if I have no service.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 pm

My question now is: Does Exetel have any alternative to the useless Optus 3G network? Having good call rates does me no good if I have no service.
Currently we only have mobile plans runs though Optus infrastructure :(

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi again
When HTC did an OTA upgrade of my handset to Android 2.3.5, I found after it had finished that the little VoIP connectivity I formerly had was now gone. I couldn't successfully make or receive SIP calls no matter what I did. In frustration, I downgraded the handset to Froyo 2.2 and then installed Leedroid 2.3 which is a rooted firmware with lots of tweaks, etc. Then I found that one of the tweaks turned all the connections off when the phone went into standby, which broke the SIP connection until the phone woke up again. That means really good battery life, but no incoming SIP calls at all. I reflashed it with a rooted stock 2.3.5 system and I am now nearly back where I started.

In the last month or so, I have been able to make 2 or 3 VoIP calls; all others have been either no connection or one-way audio which resulted in me re-dialing using the GSM connection instead. If that's what I wanted I would have just got a cheap mobile plan. Am I the only one who's silly enough to keep trying to make VoIP work over the HSPA/3G connection? Where I am now is my family and friends mostly don't bother trying to ring me anymore, because they just don't get through. This is not what I had in mind when I signed up for this service.

Is there anybody out there who has actually made this work? If so, I would dearly love to hear from them.

I have heard there is a hack for Android that allows the built-in SIP stack to work over 3G as well as Wi-Fi. Is it possible that this could work better than CSIPSimple, which everybody seems to rave about but has never worked well at all for me. I have had one-way audio issues ever since when, and have about given up.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Pending a reply from someone who does use VoIP regularly on Android, I've used a few VoIP softphones successfully on a small Linux-running portable netbook, which do work properly over a 3G connection with a Huawei modem. These are desktop applications, but of them, Linphone has a free Android version. I can't vouch for it on your HTC, but it couldn't be cheaper to try it http://www.linphone.org/. I asked here a while ago if anyone had tried it on Android, but nobody replied.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 pm

I gave up VOIP over 3G in & around Newcastle last year as a bad joke, and converted my WMA plan to a CAP plan. Mobile data does work, just not reliably or fast enough to consider using VOIP. Even running CSipSimple over Exetel VOIP over WiFi/ADSL wasn't great. I got a better voice connection via pennytel VOIP, but stiil not good enough to regard VOIP over Optus 3G as viable.

Maybe Telstra 3G is better, however my phone doesn't have an 850MHz radio, and my wallet cringes every time I look at a Telstra plan.

My Exetel Z15 CAP plan works fine for me, overkill for both voice & data usually, however Z8 hasn't got enough headroom vs the punishment of over CAP, ie +25MB data or +7min talk brings me back up to Z15 plan cost, and it is all downhill on a steep slope from there.

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I am not giving up. I tried Linphone and am pleased with it compared to CSIP but unfortunately it has no G729 which is just unfortunate. There is talk of an open-source G729 but it will be some time before that happens. However, I now have Acrobits Softphone which DOES have G729. This coincides with the commissioning of my new Galaxy S3, so I have some testing to do. If anybody wants to try Acrobits and can't find it by Googling, I can put it up on my home server if requested.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 pm

A Linphone G.729 plugin is supposed to be available now - http://www.linphone.org/eng/linphone/ne ... ation.html. Is this suitable? (I don't have a suitable phone to experiment myself).