Confusion changing Mobile Broadband plans

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
IanS

Confusion changing Mobile Broadband plans

Post by IanS » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 am

I’m just switching friends from an old HSPA F3 mobile broadband plan to a S9 plan (5GB just isn't enough with a teenage daughter!!!)

When we were looking at the differend plans, the pricing page http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hs ... andard.php it states "Standard Mobile Broadband Plans For Use in a USB modem or compatible Computer or iPad"

We’ve just received the new SIM & letter. The second last sentence in the letter states “Please note you SIM will not woek for data access if it is removed from you mobile handset and inserted in a non-mobile device such as a USB stick”

Firstly can someone please confirm is this is true or not?

Secondly I’ve just noticed in the friends user facilities they can now change plans to ZZ8 to ZZ39 or to a SS1.5 to SS18 plans. What features do these plans have?
Should we have just done a change plan instead of ordering a new plan, then cancelling the old HSPA F3 plan?

IanS

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Re: Confusion changing Mobile Broadband plans

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm

When we were looking at the differend plans, the pricing page http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hs ... andard.php it states "Standard Mobile Broadband Plans For Use in a USB modem or compatible Computer or iPad"
- This is correct
We’ve just received the new SIM & letter. The second last sentence in the letter states “Please note you SIM will not woek for data access if it is removed from you mobile handset and inserted in a non-mobile device such as a USB stick”
- Interesting. Did you order an S plan? If so, this is incorrect and we will need to modify it. S plans are for use in USB sticks.
Secondly I’ve just noticed in the friends user facilities they can now change plans to ZZ8 to ZZ39 or to a SS1.5 to SS18 plans. What features do these plans have?
Should we have just done a change plan instead of ordering a new plan, then cancelling the old HSPA F3 plan?
- In hindsight a change plan would have been better. The Z and ZZ plans are the same but ZZ plans are used internally for plan changes. Similarly the S plans and SS plans are the same. Again, we use the SS plans internally for plan changes.

Z and ZZ plans are mobile voice plans. When we refer to mobile voice plans, they are used in mobile handsets and have voice (the ability to make calls) as the predominant feature. A secondary consideration is the ability to use it for data.

S and SS plans are mobile broadband plans. This means they are only to be used for transmitting data and should be used in USB sticks.

I hope this clears things up.

IanS

Re: Confusion changing Mobile Broadband plans

Post by IanS » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
- Interesting. Did you order an S plan? If so, this is incorrect and we will need to modify it. S plans are for use in USB sticks.
Yes, an S9.

The letter is a little confusing... it's a combination "Mobile Phone" on the first page & "Mobile Broadband" on the second page & I was looking at the 1st page! Maybe have 2 letters... one for data only services & one for mobile voice+Data plans.
ExetelVoice wrote:
- In hindsight a change plan would have been better. The Z and ZZ plans are the same but ZZ plans are used internally for plan changes. Similarly the S plans and SS plans are the same. Again, we use the SS plans internally for plan changes.

Z and ZZ plans are mobile voice plans. When we refer to mobile voice plans, they are used in mobile handsets and have voice (the ability to make calls) as the predominant feature. A secondary consideration is the ability to use it for data.

S and SS plans are mobile broadband plans. This means they are only to be used for transmitting data and should be used in USB sticks.

I hope this clears things up.
All sorted - Thanks for your help! :D