Thinking of ordering Exetel HSPA

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Thinking of ordering Exetel HSPA

Postby compositor on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm interested in the following plans:

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php

In particular the $5 premium mobile (3G) broadband service.

I'd like to know firstly if having a static IP will help eg. if I am using MoIP/SMoIP/FoIP etc and will it in fact work with a Nokia 700?
compositor

Re: Thinking of ordering Exetel HSPA

Postby jokiin on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:49 pm

compositor wrote:I'm interested in the following plans:

In particular the $5 premium mobile (3G) broadband service.

I'd like to know firstly if having a static IP will help eg. if I am using MoIP/SMoIP/FoIP etc and will it in fact work with a Nokia 700?

I use one of these, static IP is very handy, no problem for me anytime I've used VoIP and although the service is delivered over the Optus network (use the Optus coverage maps as a guide to where it will work) I find it consistently delivers better performance than a regular Optus 3G service
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby samarium on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Fixed IP is mostly irrelevant. While premium seems to be faster than standard, even if you get good signal where you want to use the service, if there are too many other people contending for the same service then you won't be happy.

I've had a premium and now have a standard because voice is affordable on standard, and my philosophy is pay your money, take your chances. However I've stopped bothering trying to use HSPA VOIP, it just wasn't reliable enough for me. Other people seem to use HSPA VOIP with no issues. YMMV.

Unfortunately, coverage maps only tell a small part of the story. The maps don't tell you how many other people in an area are trying to use the same spectrum, or the character of their usage, voice/data light/heavy etc. The maps don't tell you if the provider has adequately provisioned backhaul from the tower to the rest of their network. If the area you are trying to use HSPA in is one in which ADSL coverage is poor, then HSPA congestion is likely to be higher than average.
samarium

Postby jokiin on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm

you are right that there can be localised issues, no provider is exempt from that unfortunately, I'm lucky enough I guess to mostly use the service in places where this is not an issue, for me personally I wouldn't use VoIP as the primary function but what I do use it for is international which calling via mobile is not really comparable, each persons situation is obviously different though and what works great for me may mean nothing to the next person as their usage needs differ
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby compositor on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Originally I wanted to sign up for VoIP but then realised there were other features on offer such as SMoIP and FoIP, or even SurePage but regarding SMS, I have managed to get that via another provider which leads me now to the next feature; faxing over the internet via my handset does that allow me to for example attach word documents in my phone or does it need the baggage of a PC?
compositor

Postby anurangaf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:36 pm

compositor wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Originally I wanted to sign up for VoIP but then realised there were other features on offer such as SMoIP and FoIP, or even SurePage but regarding SMS, I have managed to get that via another provider which leads me now to the next feature; faxing over the internet via my handset does that allow me to for example attach word documents in my phone or does it need the baggage of a PC?

Hi compositor,

Yes you can use our fax service from your handset. But it's only allows to send the following file extensions using 'email to fax' service.

* .doc (Word Document)
* .gif(Image)
* .jpeg(Image)
* .png(Image)
* .xls(Excel Spreadsheet)
* .ppt(Powerpoint Presentation)
* .pdf(Portable Document Format)
* .html

You can get more information on "http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php?title=Products_%26_Services_-_Email_to_Fax_Service" :)
anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Postby compositor on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:50 pm

I guess for that you'd need an email address that ends in @exetel.com.au or otherwise one hosted with a Domain?

I was looking here:

and was expecting to read at least something but alas that was not the case but I will look at the wiki in future as well as asking in the forum.

Thanks
compositor

Postby jokiin on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 pm

compositor wrote:I guess for that you'd need an email address that ends in @exetel.com.au or otherwise one hosted with a Domain?

not sure if this is in reference to the fax service but I use the email to fax service from my own Google hosted domain that is not connected to Exetel in any way
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to HSPA connections