Can't get 3G (Orange Light) on E169 in Melbourne

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Can't get 3G (Orange Light) on E169 in Melbourne

Postby ant333 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

Hey,

Strange problem - went to use my E169 modem stick today and it's only connecting at GPRS. Light is green, and thus the speed is reeeealllllyyyy slow. I live in Seaford, VIC, 3198, double checked optus coverage maps and i should be fine to get 3G Speeds...

Tried the CDMA switch in software but doesn't work, don't believe that network exists here due to broad coverage of 3G.

Any ideas?
ant333

Re: Can't get 3G (Orange Light) on E169 in Melbourne

Postby Dazzled on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:00 am

The lights are probably telling the truth for the location of the modem.

If you want to interrogate the modem directly to check, I posted the commands and method a while ago - the command AT+COPS? will tell you. This is a trivial exercise with a Linux terminal, and fiddly with Microsoft.

For the location of your local transmitters try http://cellsite.nudge.id.au/ (it defaults to Melbourne, so drag the map to your spot). The detailed official site is http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/regis ... dispatcher, then there's a bit of fiddling with links to get the full details. Aim the modem at one. Sometimes a long USB cable will help get the modem to an optimum position.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby shoner on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 am

ant333 wrote:Hey,

Strange problem - went to use my E169 modem stick today and it's only connecting at GPRS. Light is green, and thus the speed is reeeealllllyyyy slow. I live in Seaford, VIC, 3198, double checked optus coverage maps and i should be fine to get 3G Speeds...

Tried the CDMA switch in software but doesn't work, don't believe that network exists here due to broad coverage of 3G.

Any ideas?

I did a check for coverage as well and there appears to be sufficient 3G signal available.

On the mobile broad band application, Go to Tools ---> Options ----> Network ----> and check if the network type is set to WCDMA preferred and the Band is set to All Bands.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby jokiin on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am

never seen an orange light on an E169 for 3G, is it a revised model? mine is green light for GPRS, blue for WCDMA, cyan for HSPA
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby ant333 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Ahh right you are. I got confused with the expected colours. Turns out it is connecting to 3G - the 'cyan' is so close to the green!

But hell, it's sooo slow!

Your current bandwidth reading is:

323.00kbps

which means you can download at 40.38 KB/sec. from our servers.

is that normal and to be expected?

It's so bad i couldn't logon to the forums with the service. Had to use my tethered iPhone via Telstra (which i'm trying to avoid)
ant333

Postby shoner on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

ant333 wrote:Ahh right you are. I got confused with the expected colours. Turns out it is connecting to 3G - the 'cyan' is so close to the green!

323.00kbps

It's so bad i couldn't logon to the forums with the service. Had to use my tethered iPhone via Telstra (which i'm trying to avoid)

It is not usual, we will need to check with our supplier if there is any contention on the tower. Can you please PM me your 10 # service number starting with 04xxx and I will check with our supplier.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby Dazzled on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Local congestion with all these data gadgets about is one possibility.
Also check signal strength. RSSI value, or how many bars? You may need to move the modem or use an antenna.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby KavindaS on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:07 pm

shoner wrote:
ant333 wrote:Ahh right you are. I got confused with the expected colours. Turns out it is connecting to 3G - the 'cyan' is so close to the green!

323.00kbps

It is not usual, we will need to check with our supplier if there is any contention on the tower. Can you please PM me your 10 # service number starting with 04xxx and I will check with our supplier.

Hi,

As I informed to you over the phone today afternoon, now I have already escalated the issue with our supplier. Will update you once we receive the update. Your reference number is 4963082. :)
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby KavindaS on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi,

Supplier has confirmed to me that they have identified some issue on their network and they have already raised a service issue with their network department. I will update you with further information once I receive by them.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Return to HSPA connections