Toughbook wwan settings

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Harms

Toughbook wwan settings

Post by Harms » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi I have bought a secondhand toughbook and cant get my HSDPA service to run

Previously I have used a Huawei E1762 to connect with my old Laptop. the E1762 still works with the new laptop so its not the sim. I have also tried a telstra sim card in the toughbook and it works fine. Contacted telstra and they confirm the modem IMEI number is not locked. Currently using the same profile settings (exetel1) but still no joy. Novatel mobilink program just reports "searching for network".

Another question is when looking in advance settings (maybe related problem) in configuration - Manual network selection - it says status = forbidden, Numeric ID = 50501, long name = telstra mobile, technology = UMTS. Im not sure what this setting is only that i didnt put it in and there is no way of removing it.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: Toughbook wwan settings

Post by stevecJ » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Harms wrote:Hi I have bought a secondhand toughbook and cant get my HSDPA service to run

Previously I have used a Huawei E1762 to connect with my old Laptop. the E1762 still works with the new laptop so its not the sim. I have also tried a telstra sim card in the toughbook and it works fine. Contacted telstra and they confirm the modem IMEI number is not locked. Currently using the same profile settings (exetel1) but still no joy. Novatel mobilink program just reports "searching for network".

Another question is when looking in advance settings (maybe related problem) in configuration - Manual network selection - it says status = forbidden, Numeric ID = 50501, long name = telstra mobile, technology = UMTS. Im not sure what this setting is only that i didnt put it in and there is no way of removing it.
Hi,

As per the telephone conversation we had, best if you could do some research on the firmware and according to your plan it's only the 'exetel1' APN which you should use.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:51 pm

it may not be locked but have you confirmed it supports the correct frequencies needed for an Optus based service?

Harms

Post by Harms » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:42 pm

"The Expedite® EU870D PCI Express Mini Card is an embedded module that can be integrated into laptops and other devices for 3G mobile data applications. This module, powered by Qualcomm MSM6280 diversity and equalizer chipset, offers high performance to the user and operates globally on 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz bands on HSDPA and UMTS networks."

As far as I know it should work. I did read in another forum that there 2 different versions of the latest firmware (103.7). One for Telstra and one for OEM. This may explain the Telstra specific manual config.

I am also going to ask Panasonic so I'm hoping for an answer. I suspect it was originally bought by Telstra when new.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:57 pm

should work proving Optus has 2100Mhz in your area, if you're in a 900Mhz coverage area you'd be out of luck

Harms

Post by Harms » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the replies I am in a 2100 area as the Hauwei works on the same table. Panasonic support (Stirling IT) says the toughbooks were never locked to any network. They advised me to contact Optus.