WI A - Thanks for the memories

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
PM

WI A - Thanks for the memories

Post by PM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:29 pm

I received an email today from Exetel informing me that my wireless broadband plan WI A was changing from 1st March. Currently it’s $5/month and 1.5c/MB used.
The current plan suits me fine as I only use a handful of megabytes a year and don’t mind the $60/year plus usage.
From 1st March it increases to $6.95/month and 5c/MB. This is a huge increase. $24/year and 3+ times the data charge.

Unfortunately I’ve had to put a cancelation order in effective 28th February as I can’t justify this increase for my usage pattern.
My only hope is the $5/month VOIP service stays the same. I have no wish to completely sever my ties with Exetel after many years of association.

So long HSPA you’ve been useful for occasional use, but some luxuries have to be culled.

shoner
Forum Admin

Re: WI A - Thanks for the memories

Post by shoner » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm

PM wrote:I received an email today from Exetel informing me that my wireless broadband plan WI A was changing from 1st March. Currently it’s $5/month and 1.5c/MB used.
The current plan suits me fine as I only use a handful of megabytes a year and don’t mind the $60/year plus usage.
From 1st March it increases to $6.95/month and 5c/MB. This is a huge increase. $24/year and 3+ times the data charge.

Unfortunately I’ve had to put a cancelation order in effective 28th February as I can’t justify this increase for my usage pattern.
My only hope is the $5/month VOIP service stays the same. I have no wish to completely sever my ties with Exetel after many years of association.

So long HSPA you’ve been useful for occasional use, but some luxuries have to be culled.
I will get a sales consultant to respond to you. Perhaps there is a plan that would fit your needs.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

PM

Post by PM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks shoner,
unfortunately the new premium $6.95/M 5c/MB is as close as it gets to what I'm currently on.

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff

Post by Venurukshi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:55 pm

PM wrote:I received an email today from Exetel informing me that my wireless broadband plan WI A was changing from 1st March. Currently it’s $5/month and 1.5c/MB used.

There will be no changes made to your VOIP service with the wireless broadband plan changes. Therefore you can continue the VOIP service as it is.

PM

Post by PM » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am

Venurukshi wrote:There will be no changes made to your VOIP service with the wireless broadband plan changes. Therefore you can continue the VOIP service as it is.
Hi Venurukshi,
I realise the VOIP service currently stays the same. What I was prefacing, was that I hope there won't be an increase to the $5 VOIP service I'm currently on at some stage. I understand these types of business decisions are made by management. Just I would hate to be forced to exit Exetel completely.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm in the same boat. I've asked billing to cancel my service too.

A few years ago you were GIVING AWAY these plans as part of your ADSL bundle for free and charging 1.5c/mb.

Now it's $6.95 - 0 data
and $56.95 for 1gb.

That's a $51.95 increase on 1gb and an $86.95 increase on 2gb worth of download. (Which I would do once or twice a year).

Not worth it now. I'll probably pickup whatever $2 sim is on offer at woolies instead.

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff

Post by Venurukshi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I'm in the same boat. I've asked billing to cancel my service too.

A few years ago you were GIVING AWAY these plans as part of your ADSL bundle for free and charging 1.5c/mb.

Now it's $6.95 - 0 data
and $56.95 for 1gb.

That's a $51.95 increase on 1gb and an $86.95 increase on 2gb worth of download. (Which I would do once or twice a year).

Not worth it now. I'll probably pickup whatever $2 sim is on offer at woolies instead.

You could consider changing over to a Standard MBB plan. We currently offer a 2gb plan for $15.95.

Please login to your Exetel Members Facilities > MBB Migration > Change Service to 3G MBB Plan to see the available other plans.

abrowne

Post by abrowne » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:50 am

I too got a similar email.

I'm currently on: WM - B
Monthly Access Charge: $0.00
Call & SMS Included Value: $ 10.00
Monthly Included Data: Pay for what you use.
Usage (Up Load + Down Load) per MB: 1.5c per MB
I'm reluctantly changing to 3G Mobile M, at least while I reevaluate other companies offerings.

This change sucks in several ways:
- Quota instead of pro rata. I have to get a small quota and risk going over, or pay more for plenty of quota and waste what I don't use.
- The per MB cost is much higher, meaning if you go over quota bills start growing massively. AFAIK, there is no way to prevent this from happening (i.e. if I use up the quota, I'd rather no internet then risk the possibility of a massive bill). There was no risk of this on WM-B.
- My current plan, WM-B, hasn't been available for a while. The people who still have it have been loyal customers for a long time. Kicking us off to something that doesn't suit our needs as well is not cool.

PM

Post by PM » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 am

Venurukshi wrote: You could consider changing over to a Standard MBB plan. We currently offer a 2gb plan for $15.95.
Hi again Venurukshi,
The advantage of these plans, in particular the WI A plan is (was), they were cost effective in monthly cost, AND download charge (1.5c/MB). I often didn't use mine for a couple of months, and sometimes even then only used it momentarily to avoid the possibility of service termination through lack of use.

The new pricing means it clearly isn't cost effective as a emergency for when ADSL is down or travelling.

I may as well tether to my wife's Telstra phone every few months as needed and use a little of her 1.5GB/month data that she hardly touches.

I had been considering cancelling my WI A service for the last 12 months or so due to lack of use. I guess Exetel made my mind up for me.
So perhaps I should thank Exetel for the increase?
;-)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 pm

These plans lose Exetel a bit of money, we are charged a monthly fee for each number we have active.

PM

Post by PM » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 pm

James wrote:These plans lose Exetel a bit of money, we are charged a monthly fee for each number we have active.

Hi James,
I gathered this would be the reason. I'm not exactly a profitable client of Exetel. After all your late father didn't set up Exetel to be a charity. Just an honest business aimed at not for ripping off customers or staff.

I hope the $5/month VOIP inc. 60 landline calls plan I'm on doesn't run at a loss either, otherwise I'm in trouble.

abrowne

Post by abrowne » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:11 pm

James wrote:we are charged a monthly fee for each number we have active.
Approximately what is this fee?
Why not charge this minimum fee + pro rata?
Or charge a minimum for the phone service and leave data pro rata...

Having data pro rata is more of a concern to me than phone calls.
I probably won't suddenly make hundreds more phone calls in a month, but I could easily download much more (or very little).

Note, WM-B had a $10/month minimum (for phone calls), data all pro rata.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:27 am

James wrote:These plans lose Exetel a bit of money, we are charged a monthly fee for each number we have active.
So charge us your cost price on the monthly fee, but don't increase data costs to 50/gb! That's just exorbitant and a tad extortionist.

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:00 pm

The increase was unfortunately unavoidable and Exetel understands that this change may not suit all customers.

It is with this in mind that an option to move to a standard Mobile Broadband plan or Mobile Voice plan without any plan change fee.

In addition to this, the option to cancel the service without penalty is also available.

We apologize if this has caused you any frustration, and would not have done so if it was avoidable.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
So charge us your cost price on the monthly fee, but don't increase data costs to 50/gb! That's just exorbitant and a tad extortionist.
Switch to our layer 3/Optus rebadged offering.

The layer 2 offering costs us much more than $20.00 per gigabyte.