3G Data services using Sony Xperia Z (poor student)

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
steve sydneyside

3G Data services using Sony Xperia Z (poor student)

Post by steve sydneyside » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 am

I have exetel 3G Data services when I browse using Sony Xperia Z, I am encountering service dropouts (:-Code 923 = 08/09/2013 within Google play), outside within the backyard. And my service inside the house completely drops out where I have NO signal. Inside the house is an Optus cable connection for computer internet and could use it over wifi, however being a student I consistently complete my download quota well before the month-end. I need to use the mobile data to view my classes and some study material is online too (Lynda.com). Is there any way I can get hold of a Home-zone booster because at the moment I hardly come close to my data allowances for my phone plan (Z15) but the connection speed is so poor that using my phone for study purposes is not an able to be done.
Thank you in advance
Keep an eye on where your going and life will have more meaning - Don't become cynical..

samarium

Re: 3G Data services using Sony Xperia Z (poor student)

Post by samarium » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm

maybe you are just too far away from the nearest optus mobile tower?

You could just be a high contention area with too many other people trying to use the Optus Mobile service.

Have you tried another phone maybe it has better reception?

Have you tried locking down the phone from 3G/HSPA to 3G/UTMS or even to 2G/GPRS? This should give you a more stable connection, but slower. You might be able to do this via the settings menu, or you might be able to do this using the dialer and entering *#*#info#*#*, or it may be some sequence that is Sony specific.

Might be cheaper to migrate to a higher data quota Cable plan than buy a booster, even if it is available thru Exetel?

Or maybe, as a poor student :-), you need to learn to budget your Cable internet usage to preserve quota for what you deem to be essential?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm

steve sydneyside wrote:I have exetel 3G Data services when I browse using Sony Xperia Z, I am encountering service dropouts (:-Code 923 = 08/09/2013 within Google play), outside within the backyard. And my service inside the house completely drops out where I have NO signal. Inside the house is an Optus cable connection for computer internet and could use it over wifi, however being a student I consistently complete my download quota well before the month-end. I need to use the mobile data to view my classes and some study material is online too (Lynda.com). Is there any way I can get hold of a Home-zone booster because at the moment I hardly come close to my data allowances for my phone plan (Z15) but the connection speed is so poor that using my phone for study purposes is not an able to be done.
Thank you in advance
In the mean time, PM me your service number so we could check according to the area with the supplier end.

steve sydneyside

Post by steve sydneyside » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:30 pm

@samarium thanks for your input
samarium wrote:maybe you are just too far away from the nearest optus mobile tower?
It's semi rural across the valley but towers are close by
samarium wrote:You could just be a high contention area with too many other people trying to use the Optus Mobile service.
I think the only local pointing aerials concentrate on the roads for the passing through customers, bad publicity = black holes
samarium wrote:Have you tried another phone maybe it has better reception?
This phone is set to accept lower connections if the good one fails = WCDMA(preferred)/GSM
samarium wrote:Have you tried locking down the phone from 3G/HSPA to 3G/UTMS or even to 2G/GPRS? This should give you a more stable connection, but slower. You might be able to do this via the settings menu, or you might be able to do this using the dialer and entering *#*#info#*#*, or it may be some sequence that is Sony specific.
Breaking this into two; The type of connection I need to use the device for, is Video download and the Lynda.com learning site is not a light (YouTube) connection
& I don't know any of these "Sony settings" however the connection here has been bad tending ugly on all three(3) of my previous Optus connected devices
samarium wrote:Might be cheaper to migrate to a higher data quota Cable plan than buy a booster, even if it is available thru Exetel?
If there was some way I could get the "Cable" through Exetel I would seriously consider it. The NBN is not even planned for this area and with *The Abbot Internet* now in charge, even less likely before 2020
samarium wrote:Or maybe, as a poor student :-), you need to learn to budget your Cable internet usage to preserve quota for what you deem to be essential?
That would be good but when you are doing an IT course and you need to download O/S to practice with it and you get Failed to download and need to repeat the process,,,But your absolutely correct the student in me wants to get that 1500Mb that I pay for every month in my Z15 plan and don't use ;)
Keep an eye on where your going and life will have more meaning - Don't become cynical..