Changing to higher FTTN plans

Fibre broadband and trials

Changing to higher FTTN plans

Postby doggy on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi,
This is not a problem, but I cannot find a better place for the question.

Has anyone upgraded from 25/5 (or lower) to 100/40 with the realisation that they are NOT going to get 100 down but are likely to get better than 25 down, based on DSL line stats?

In which case, how did it go? Did you get what you expected or that the modem predicted?

Regards,
Dave
doggy

Re: Changing to higher FTTN plans

Postby HimaJ on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi Dave,

We could see that currently you are in 25/5 plan, and also you are having a VDSL (FTTN) service. If you are planing to go for a higher plan - if there are issues after changing the plans , send us the sync rates / speed-test results where we can investigate and assist you to get the best speeds.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby sky73x on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:11 pm

In a similar vein to this question, is there the chance of Exetel offering 50mbps plans?

Where I am located and via modem stats, I could get around 50mbps down (modem usually reports closer to 60mbps attainable).
sky73x

Postby James on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:24 am

sky73x wrote:In a similar vein to this question, is there the chance of Exetel offering 50mbps plans?

Where I am located and via modem stats, I could get around 50mbps down (modem usually reports closer to 60mbps attainable).

We won't be offering 50Mbps plans.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby doggy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:27 am

For anyone else interested, I did upgrade from my 25/5 to 100/40 even though I knew that I would likely only get maximum of 50/16 sync. But I was happy to pay for the speed increase such as it was, particularly upstream.

I am pleased to advise that the speeds I got were exactly the same as the attainable rates reported by the modem. So, around 51/16.5. From the tones graph, the use of ADSL2+ spectrum is reduced during this coexistence period and therefore I am confident that I will get an increase in speed as more people in the street drop off ADSL2 and ultimately the coexistence period concludes.

VDSL2 stability has been fine.

Regards,
Dave
doggy

Postby huh2? on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 pm

sky73x wrote:In a similar vein to this question, is there the chance of Exetel offering 50mbps plans?

I just created this account (after not being able to recall my old original forum account pwd) to ask a similar question.

James wrote:We won't be offering 50Mbps plans.

This is a real shame.

I am in the very similar position with modem showing potential for around 70Mbps down - maybe call it a "lucky" NBN node lotto "win" to see that potential speed.

I do not wish to pay an extra $20 per month for 100/40 that I will not get but would pay an extra $10 per month for 50/20 and same 500GB download I have now.

Not really wanting to leave Exetel having been a customer for ~13 years but it seems a very likely possibility with no 50/20 plans available here.
huh2?

Postby huh2? on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:14 pm

doggy wrote:I am pleased to advise that the speeds I got were exactly the same as the attainable rates reported by the modem.

This is good to hear.
Hope it is still going well for you.
huh2?

Postby KavindaS on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 pm

huh2? wrote:
I am in the very similar position with modem showing potential for around 70Mbps down - maybe call it a "lucky" NBN node lotto "win" to see that potential speed.

I do not wish to pay an extra $20 per month for 100/40 that I will not get but would pay an extra $10 per month for 50/20 and same 500GB download I have now.

Not really wanting to leave Exetel having been a customer for ~13 years but it seems a very likely possibility with no 50/20 plans available here.

50/20 plans are under discussion. We will update if any positive outcome in the future.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby huh2? on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:40 pm

KavindaS wrote:50/20 plans are under discussion. We will update if any positive outcome in the future.

Thanks for the reply, gives some hope.

Hopefully it is the near future as I will be making a decision in the next few weeks.
huh2?

Postby doggy on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Here is a disappointing update after 5 months. Several months after activation, I upgraded my account to 100/40 in the knowledge I should get 50/17 and indeed I did get that speed and was happy with it. The upstream in particular enabled me to move a number of things to the Cloud.

1. The sync speed continued to be good (50+down/17+up) for several months until the end of May when I last checked it. I then went overseas until this week.

2. Now, I find that the speed has dropped to 30down/9.5up. A significant difference. Unfortunately I do not have enough logs to see if the change was gradual or sudden. All I can tell is that over a 13 week period there was a big reduction.

Line attenuation is exactly the same as before. I have tried with a different (approved) modem and new cables. No difference. I have checked the internal Cat5E feed and all is unchanged and undamaged. I have checked for interference sources and found nothing.

When I look at the allocated bins, I see that far fewer bits are being allocated to the lower frequency bins. This is why both downstream and upstream have dropped so much.

My conclusion is that either NBN has changed the profile (e.g. decreased power) or changed the ADSL2+ mask to reduce impact on ADSL2+ customers; or some line fault or crosstalk have developed. Whereas I would have expected the speed to increase as more people on my node/street moved to VDSL2 and the ADSL2 and phone customers dropped off.

I have checked another NBN account I manage in the same suburb, but on a different node. The attainable sync speeds there are now lower than I was getting here previously despite there being 8dB LESS attenuation up/down on that service. So, either NBN has made some unadvertised change or the impact of adding extra FTTN connections is to REDUCE sync speed not allow it to increase. It does not sound like a fault given we are talking two different nodes.

My service is 6months from the end date for coexistence. The second service I manage has a further 9 months to go.

Exetel, do you have any observations on the above? I can supply account details if required. I would very much like to get back all that lost speed.

Regards,
Dave
doggy

Postby KavindaS on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm

doggy wrote:Exetel, do you have any observations on the above? I can supply account details if required. I would very much like to get back all that lost speed.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Certainly not a good news to hear. I can remember you had couple of services and therefore I would like to have the exact service number through a PM, before proceeding with investigations.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby KavindaS on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:43 pm

KavindaS wrote:
doggy wrote:Exetel, do you have any observations on the above? I can supply account details if required. I would very much like to get back all that lost speed.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Certainly not a good news to hear. I can remember you had couple of services and therefore I would like to have the exact service number through a PM, before proceeding with investigations.

Hi Dave,

I have received your PM and after analyzing the issue, I have created a email ticket for this and the reference number is 12071168. Considering the service type we might need some test results conducted from your side, before escalating the service issue with the wholesale supplier. Therefore one of the senior engineers will be emailing you through the ticket and once you have replied we will continue and update you through the same thread.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby doggy on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi Kavinda,
Thanks for that.
I have encountered another person (a TPG customer) on a different node in my suburb, not far from mine, who has had exactly the identical issue which commenced during June this year. His sync went from 64/30 to 32/7! Like me, he had opted for 100/40 knowing he would get the lower speed, but not as low as it has gone now.

My personal guess is that NBN has dropped the power levels in order to prop up the performance of legacy ADSL services.....but maybe it is something totally different.

Regards,
Dave
doggy

Postby KavindaS on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 pm

doggy wrote:Hi Kavinda,
Thanks for that.
I have encountered another person (a TPG customer) on a different node in my suburb, not far from mine, who has had exactly the identical issue which commenced during June this year. His sync went from 64/30 to 32/7! Like me, he had opted for 100/40 knowing he would get the lower speed, but not as low as it has gone now.

My personal guess is that NBN has dropped the power levels in order to prop up the performance of legacy ADSL services.....but maybe it is something totally different.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks for the information Dave. I have made a special note on that with the ticket.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby doggy on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Here are the bins. The high (frequency) ones are much the same as previously.

However, upstream the two bands have less bits per bin than previously and you can see that the ADSL2+ frequencies below about bin 550 are very poorly populated- which is worse than before..

Cheers,
Dave
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 7.19.18 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 7.19.18 pm.png (26.85 KiB) Viewed 333 times
doggy

Next

Return to Fibre services