NBN Fixed Wireless 50/20 - Reasonable speed?

Fibre broadband and trials

NBN Fixed Wireless 50/20 - Reasonable speed?

Postby u9026a on Sun May 28, 2017 6:44 pm

What would people consider is a reasonable download speed for a 50/20 plan? I have always been ok with speeds in the mid 20s and up, but for the past week or so I have been getting what I consider to be rather low speeds, averaging less than 10Mb/s. Uploads are quite often faster than downloads.
u9026a

Re: NBN Fixed Wireless 50/20 - Reasonable speed?

Postby HimaJ on Sun May 28, 2017 8:00 pm

We have sent you an email update to your nominated email address via the ticket : 11641384

Please note that we are currently investigating your service issue with the relevant departments and supplier.

We will update you via email once update is available.

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby u9026a on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Just emailed in some new test stats so I hope this can get looked at now. I don't think 5Mb/s d/l during peak time is that good on a 50/20 plan.

I hope this is an Exetel issue and not the NBN, otherwise we are all stuffed.
u9026a

Postby HimaJ on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Thank you for sending the test results.

We have re-escalated your service issue with our supplier under the reference number : 11919230.

We will update you once a feedback is available.

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby u9026a on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm

So having sent Exetel all the data they wanted, then I get this email:

"Thank you for your email and we know that slow internet speeds can be extremely frustrating.

However as advised the matter is beyond our control as our supplier has confirmed an ETA of Quarter 1, 2018.

As we are not in position to expedite the changes, if the current situation is making your service unusable and unsatisfactory, you may opt-out and choose a provider who is able to cater to your needs better.

This service is within a contract period; however any charges associated with the early termination of the service will be waived off & no early notice would be required.

At the same time we will now be placing this ticket on hold and feel free to reply back advising how you wish to proceed and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused to you by this."

What a disgraceful way to do business. As a customer of 10+ years I am seriously unimpressed. So Exetel market a 50/20 plan in the full knowledge that you can't deliver. Unbelievable. You guys need to take a good hard look in the mirror.
u9026a

Postby James on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 pm

u9026a wrote:So having sent Exetel all the data they wanted, then I get this email:

"Thank you for your email and we know that slow internet speeds can be extremely frustrating.

However as advised the matter is beyond our control as our supplier has confirmed an ETA of Quarter 1, 2018.

As we are not in position to expedite the changes, if the current situation is making your service unusable and unsatisfactory, you may opt-out and choose a provider who is able to cater to your needs better.

This service is within a contract period; however any charges associated with the early termination of the service will be waived off & no early notice would be required.

At the same time we will now be placing this ticket on hold and feel free to reply back advising how you wish to proceed and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused to you by this."

What a disgraceful way to do business. As a customer of 10+ years I am seriously unimpressed. So Exetel market a 50/20 plan in the full knowledge that you can't deliver. Unbelievable. You guys need to take a good hard look in the mirror.

No, not at all, we use third party suppliers for some regional areas, unfortunately there are sometimes issues with their capacity.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby u9026a on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:09 pm

That's great, but why bother getting me do carry out various tests when you know full well you can do nothing about it when the tests prove low speeds?

NBN say it's your problem, that you don't buy enough bandwidth? I don't know. Please enlighten me, I'd love to know.

It seems you are happy to charge for something you know you can't provide, is that a fair statement?

And who is your regional supplier?

And what is "Q1 2018" mentioned in the email? I have no idea what that is relating to?
u9026a

Postby James on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 am

We do not know full well that there are issues, this is a requirement that Optus puts on us for services that are not bought directly from NBN.

Do they? I doubt that they would put that in writing.

No, we are charging for a service with no guaranteed minimum speed, it's just like ADSL, there are a lot of different factors that determine the speed.

Quarter 1 2018 is when the planned backhaul upgrade to the area will happen, however if you want to email me your details, i can provide more accurate information, and hopefully see that your POI is an area we want to provide services directly to.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby u9026a on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:22 pm

OK, I've sent you a PM, please let me know if that is all you need.
u9026a

Postby James on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:27 pm

As per my email "the cell which the user is connected to experiences high utilization during busy periods. The site is scheduled for capacity expansion in Q1 2018".

I wish there was more we could do, but this is a NBN network issue.
James
Exetel Staff

Return to Fibre services