NBN FTTN with BYO Modem (and VoIP)

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
vosadrian

NBN FTTN with BYO Modem (and VoIP)

Post by vosadrian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi All,

I have been on Exetel ADSL for some time, and recently received NBN notification that I can get FTTN in a couple of months, so starting to plan for this. I would like to upgrade my Exetel service to NBN, but I have a home network setup using Ubiquiti Unifi Wifi/Router/Gateway etc. so I am not interested in the all in one router/modems that Exetel supply.

I was planning on purchasing a VDSL2 modem to bridge it so the Unifi gateway could control the FTTN connection, and I was wondering if Exetel will allow this? Also, I am wondering if I can configure my own VoIP arrangement with a cisco voip adapter or gigaset phone or similar or am I restricted to using voip with the Exetel modem/routers?

Cheers,

Adrian

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: NBN FTTN with BYO Modem (and VoIP)

Post by KavindaS » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 pm
Hi All,

I have been on Exetel ADSL for some time, and recently received NBN notification that I can get FTTN in a couple of months, so starting to plan for this. I would like to upgrade my Exetel service to NBN, but I have a home network setup using Ubiquiti Unifi Wifi/Router/Gateway etc. so I am not interested in the all in one router/modems that Exetel supply.
Exetel highly recommend to you the modem models that are registered within Exetel to NBN only. We cannot guarantee or there will be no support from the supplier for the Exetel-NBN non registered modems in FTTN/B services.
vosadrian wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 pm
I was planning on purchasing a VDSL2 modem to bridge it so the Unifi gateway could control the FTTN connection, and I was wondering if Exetel will allow this? Also, I am wondering if I can configure my own VoIP arrangement with a cisco voip adapter or gigaset phone or similar or am I restricted to using voip with the Exetel modem/routers?
There is no restriction from the Exetel sip severs or the devices to use an external devices with VOIP registration. There are customer who uses different VOIP gateways with Exetel Internet or the modem. However, it is depend on the compatibility of each device and therefore I recommend you to contact the respective device manufacturer support and make sure no technical limitations on this.

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for the reply.

Where can I find a list of Exetel supported FTTN (VDSL2) modems, and are any of them able to be bridged so that a connected router can manage the connection?

Does anyone know if any of the Exetel modems use the broadcom chipsets that are typically associated with high speed and reliable connections?

Cheers,

Adrian

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am
Thanks for the reply.

Where can I find a list of Exetel supported FTTN (VDSL2) modems, and are any of them able to be bridged so that a connected router can manage the connection?
Following modems that we could confirm the bridge mode feature and Exetel- NBN registered.

Netcomm - NF4V
Netcomm - NF17ACV
Netcomm - NF18ACV
vosadrian wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am
Does anyone know if any of the Exetel modems use the broadcom chipsets that are typically associated with high speed and reliable connections?
I would recommend you to get this confirmed with the device manufacturer support as the chipsets differs from ADSL to VDSL.