NBN keeps dropping out every night

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
Post Reply
ndoan
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:21 pm
Location: Melbourne

NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by ndoan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Hello,

My NBN connection keeps dropping out very often at night, about every 10-15 minutes, but the connection becomes more stable after 12AM. This also happens at day but less often, connection can be stable 3,4hours to 10hours. This issue just happens 1 week ago.

Could you help to double check?

Thanks,
Nam.

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by KavindaS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:45 pm

ndoan wrote:Hello,

My NBN connection keeps dropping out very often at night, about every 10-15 minutes, but the connection becomes more stable after 12AM. This also happens at day but less often, connection can be stable 3,4hours to 10hours. This issue just happens 1 week ago.

Could you help to double check?

Thanks,
Nam.
Hi Nam,
Currently we don't have any similar issues or outages reported from the supplier networks. Therefore considering this as a time specified issue, we need to investigate the service issue. Drop us an email with your modem logs, which indicates the connection drops to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au. One of the engineers will start the investigations and reply to you through the same email thread.

ndoan
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:21 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by ndoan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:26 am

I don't think there's any problem with the modem. It is OK at day but happens at night.

User avatar
angelos
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by angelos » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:04 pm

As my colleague advised, we recommend that you forward the router logs to the email address specified so we can go through the logs.

When doing so please refer this forum thread so we can cross refer the cases.

ndoan
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:21 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by ndoan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:24 am

Looks like I fixed dropping issue by changing parameters in /etc/ppp/options of the modem
from:

lcp-echo-failure 5
lcp-echo-interval 1

to:
lcp-echo-failure 10
lcp-echo-interval 6

the connection is stable now but very slow at night, can't watch Youtube or very bad quality. I think the quality of my line recently became bad and not very low responsive so the modem think that the connection is interrupted. I attached the log file for you to investigate if you can improve the speed.
Attachments
log.txt.gz
modem log
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

User avatar
angelos
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by angelos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:35 pm

ndoan wrote:Looks like I fixed dropping issue by changing parameters in /etc/ppp/options of the modem
from:

lcp-echo-failure 5
lcp-echo-interval 1

to:
lcp-echo-failure 10
lcp-echo-interval 6

the connection is stable now but very slow at night, can't watch Youtube or very bad quality. I think the quality of my line recently became bad and not very low responsive so the modem think that the connection is interrupted. I attached the log file for you to investigate if you can improve the speed.
I don't seem to be able to read the text file. Please resend in text format.

Mautje
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by Mautje » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Ndoan,

You're absolutely right on the matter.
I had been experiencing exactly the same issues. No useful answer from support but enabling debug logging on the firewall on my end showed the reason of the dropped connection:

The firewall/router doesn't get a reply from the other end of the VPN tunnel to the Echo requests it's sending out on a regular basis.
This leads it to think that the line is dead (even though it's not) resulting on the device terminating the tunnel and re-establishing it. Of course with loss of connection to anything that you might have going at that moment. There are many reasons why this might happen but given the time of day I would think an overloaded device on the back end (just my 2 cents).

Hopefully this post will assist with providing a work around to other users who are experiencing the same issues as we did.

In case of a fortigate firewall the settings to change are:
set lcp-echo-interval 7
set lcp-max-echo-fails 7

The name differs per brand but for the fortigate default settings were 5 and 3 respectively. Especially the max echo fails did the trick.

Below the reason for the disconnect from the debug logs starting with the last reply from the Exetel end of the tunnel:
PPP send: LCP Echo_Reply id(152) len(12) [Magic_Number 406cf81d]
PPP send: LCP Echo_Request id(240) len(8) [Magic_Number 406cf81d]
PPP send: LCP Echo_Request id(241) len(8) [Magic_Number 406cf81d]
PPP send: LCP Echo_Request id(242) len(8) [Magic_Number 406cf81d]
No response to 3 echo-requests
Serial link appears to be disconnected.
PPP send: LCP Termiate_Request id(2) len(23)
PPP recv: LCP Terminate_Ack id(2) len(4)
Connection terminated.
Connect time 1388.4 minutes.

kkfat
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:22 am

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by kkfat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Somehow I am having the same issue. I initially thought it was my router issue, then I realised that every night (early morning?) at around 12:30am, the NBN modem will have, instead of four steady solid green lights, it would have
- power : steady green
- downstream: steady green
- upstream : flashing/blinking green
- online : off

And it doesn’t matter how I power cycle the modem and everything in the house, the NBN modem goes up to the same state. I use my mobile data to check the network status at the time, and Exetel says everything is fine except some planned service at Liverpool.

Next morning, four steady green is shown and everything seems fine. It has been repeating for a few nights now, not sure the cause. Let me see if it is still the case after the Liverpool service is completed.

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: NBN keeps dropping out every night

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm

kkfat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 pm
Somehow I am having the same issue. I initially thought it was my router issue, then I realised that every night (early morning?) at around 12:30am, the NBN modem will have, instead of four steady solid green lights, it would have
- power : steady green
- downstream: steady green
- upstream : flashing/blinking green
- online : off

And it doesn’t matter how I power cycle the modem and everything in the house, the NBN modem goes up to the same state. I use my mobile data to check the network status at the time, and Exetel says everything is fine except some planned service at Liverpool.

Next morning, four steady green is shown and everything seems fine. It has been repeating for a few nights now, not sure the cause. Let me see if it is still the case after the Liverpool service is completed.
Monitor the service after the completion of the planned event, and let us know if the issue persists for further investigations, as an individual service issue.

Post Reply