Telstra Velocity's upload ratio cripples internet.

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
StereoHead

Telstra Velocity's upload ratio cripples internet.

Post by StereoHead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am

Hi guys,

The only fibre service I have available in my area is on Telstra's "Velocity" network... so my choices are 30/1 or 100/5.
To be honest, I find 30mpbs down to be perfectly fine for what I do.... but the 1mpbs upload cripples me!

If I am busy doing work (I am working from home) and my wife jumps on a zoom session, the upload kills my connection... I have done what I can in my router to stop uploads maxing out, but to be honest, there are limited options there and it continues to be a problem...

Sometimes I have to copy a file from my home computer to my work, the upload kills my downloads and essentially I need to stop working until the upload is completed...

So i guess my question is..

Does anyone have any ideas that could help? and why is the ratio of down/up so bad? I feel that 30/3 and 100/10 is not too much to ask for... is there someone I can talk to at Exetel or Telstra to do something?

nilushid
Admin

Re: Telstra Velocity's upload ratio cripples internet.

Post by nilushid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm

StereoHead wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am
Hi guys,

The only fibre service I have available in my area is on Telstra's "Velocity" network... so my choices are 30/1 or 100/5.
To be honest, I find 30mpbs down to be perfectly fine for what I do.... but the 1mpbs upload cripples me!

If I am busy doing work (I am working from home) and my wife jumps on a zoom session, the upload kills my connection... I have done what I can in my router to stop uploads maxing out, but to be honest, there are limited options there and it continues to be a problem...

Sometimes I have to copy a file from my home computer to my work, the upload kills my downloads and essentially I need to stop working until the upload is completed...

So i guess my question is..

Does anyone have any ideas that could help?
Hi Eelko

You can reduse the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) size to 1300 on your modem or the router and check whether that can help with your uploads.
StereoHead wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am
and why is the ratio of down/up so bad? I feel that 30/3 and 100/10 is not too much to ask for... is there someone I can talk to at Exetel or Telstra to do something?
I will escalate this to our sales team and they will get back to you on this.

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:22 pm

A common problem in Covid-19 times. Can your router QOS feature limit upload bandwidth from her computer?

nilushid
Admin

Post by nilushid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:13 pm

nilushid wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I will escalate this to our sales team and they will get back to you on this.

Thanks
Hi Eelko

Our sales team has infomed that these are the negotiated upload and download speeds we have with our suppliers at the moment, and we currently do not have the option to change the upload download ratio.

In the future if there are any changes made to these speed ratios, it will be updated on your members facility.

Thanks

StereoHead

Post by StereoHead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks, I suspected as much :(

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am

These are Telstra wide plans, there are no options for customisation at this time.