Fibre FAQ

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
Martin V
Exetel Staff

Fibre FAQ

Post by Martin V » Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 pm

What is Fibre?

Fibre, or in the context of residential data communications, more commonly known as 'Fibre To The Home' is a form of communications delivery in which data services at high speed can be delivered via optical fibre cabling (consisting of cylindrical glass with light bouncing around on the inside) directly to a residential estate or dwelling.

While optical fibre is not new in the sense that it has served as the backbone for major communication networks both nationally and connectivity abroad, a new era is beginning for residential consumers to now experience the benefits of optical fibre directly to/from your home.

How is fibre better than ADSL?

- Speeds achievable are much higher than ADSL via copper based medium. Typically Fibre services can reach up to 100Mbps or approximately five times faster than ADSL
- Increased reliability and consistant speeds as optical fibre is more resilient to degradation and other environmental factors.
- Lower latency means a higher performance of Voice over IP (VOIP) quality and other latency dependent applications such ebay, stock trading and online gaming

What speeds can I expect to get on Fibre?

Speeds achieved on Fibre can be as high as 100Mbps download, up to 8Mbps upload. Naturally speeds can vary depending on accessing files locally or internationally.

How long does it take to install/activate a Fibre service from Exetel?

For homes that have Fibre access ready, activation can take up to 3 working days for a new installation. 1 working day if the ONT(Optical Network Terminal) Unit is already installed at the dwelling/residence.

How do I know if I can receive a Fibre service from Exetel?

The application form has a qualification tool to confirm your postcode and address where fibre access points are located around estates nationwide.

I have been using ADSL service for a while and its speed fluctuates time to time. How is a fibre service like? Would it fluctuates like ADSL1 service?

- One of the advantages of data transfer via Fibre is that speeds are continually and consistently steadier and of a higher throughput than ADSL. This is because the medium to distribute data are light pulses reflecting through highly refractive glass cylinders. As a result speed fluctuations that were once dependent on distance and copper 'quality' now is no longer there case.

I have more than two computers at home and I would like to share internet simultaneously. Can I do this with a standard fibre modem comes with the service?

- The Optical Network Terminal (ONT) located within the property by default can have up to 4 ethernet ports to use for connectivity. If you can not connect all devices directly to the unit, you can connect a wireless/LAN router to the ONT to perform this task.

I stopped using ADSL service because it took longer than 10 days to restore a fault. I am just wondering about average service restoration time for a fibre service.

- Restoration times should be resolved, generally within 5 working days from when a fault is reported to Exetel.

How long will it take to download songs, videos or movies on Fibre?

Taking the basic plan package we have (25Mbps/1Mbps) you could potentially download;

- 10 songs in up to 10 seconds
- 10 minute YouTube Videos in up to 20 seconds
- A 700MB Movie/file within 5 minutes!

Do Exetel shape my service and are there any excess fees?

Exetel does not shape your plan. Instead, we provide a service minimum monthly access charge and charge for only what you download per Gigabyte.
There are no excess fees.

Does Exetel charge for Uploads?

No.

Can I use my ADSL/Cable Router for Exetel's Fibre services?

You would be able to use these devices to the extent as an additional hub point to connect additional devices for the purpose of your own internal network. From the router, you can merely connect to the Ethernet

Are there any hidden cancellation fees?

There is nothing hidden. Any fees that you may be required to pay upon early termination of your service will be outlined in your cancellation submission.

Can I still use my existing PSTN with the Residential Fibre plans?

It is physically possible to have an existing PSTN service running currently with Fibre as they are connected of different mediums. If both are available at your place of residence, it is possible for example to have Telephone on PSTN and Data on Fibre or vice versa.

Exetel doesn't currently offer such a service.

What is the port cost for porting over my existing PSTN number over to a Voice over Fibre connection?

The cost would be a once off of $15. It would be ported as a VOIP as a number to be used in conjunction with your Internet service over Fibre

Are there SLA's in place?

The services are provided on a 'best effort' basis with respect to uptime and provisioning. If a service is faulty or activation lead time has passed normal parameteres we will endevour to solve the problems as quickly as possible.

What if my service goes down? How long will it take to be restored?

Once a service issue has been identified our aim is to rectify the issue within 24 hours upon being logged. Should physical work be required then this can take up to 5 working days depending on the extent of the problem.

What If I want to change my plan?

You can do this via your user facilities. For any upgrade or downgrade of speed this takes three clear working days upon submission.

What If I relocate my service? Can I do this?

Currently for the Trial, there is no 'relocation' process as such. A relocation involves cancellation and a new reconnection would need to take place to move from one provider to another.

What If I'm with another provider, how long will it take to transfer?

Currently for the Trial, there is no 'churn' process as such. A cancellation and new submission scheme would need to take place to move from one provider to another.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Re: Fibre FAQ

Post by Martin V » Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 pm

What type of equipment do i need to set up the Optic Fibre service? (Modem, filters, telephone extensions etc)

You won't require any equipment to directly connect to the internet because the ONT (Optical Network Terminal), which is provided by our supplier has an Ethernet Port to allows you to connect to the Internet. If you're managing your own internal network (have multiple computers), then you're going to need a router that which supports both WAN and LAN ports.

ADSL modems wouldn't work for this type of set up.

Does Exetel supply the equipment that is required for the Optic Fibre service?

Our suppliers provide the necessary equipment to have the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) installed, which allows for the internet access through an Ethernet Port. Routers are required to be sourced out by yourselves.

What is the price for the equipment?

At the moment there isn't any cost, however this promotion will expire on the 30th June 2010. After the mentioned date the installion fee is $100.00 (Once off payment)

Who are the suppliers of this Fibre service?

Currently Exetel wholesale Optic Fibre through: Telstra, Opticomm and NBNCo. Each use their own vendor to distribute the Optical Fibre service.

How do i run a service qualification check?

Currently there is no automated qualification check, a list of streets and maps will be shown through our website to show areas that are covered.

What makes Fibre services more stable than ADSL?

The outer coating of an optical fibre cable is similar to ADSL, however within the cable there are strings of glass. This allows for light to run through which is faster than copper. The use of glass is more stable than the use of having copper.

Does Optic Fibre work the same way as ADSL? (the Fibres connect to the exchange from the property)

Fibre services connect via a PPPoE session to Exetel, the traffic of the connection will be delivered via L2TP tunnels over Broadband VLANs. This will then terminate into our LNS routers. Simple terms: Authenticates the same way as ADSL, the only difference is that the Fibre placed between the telephone and the Exchange (on the Telstra BRAS).

Are all the speeds UP to? EG: up to 8mbps, up 25mbps etc.

Correct. You must understand that even though Fibre has replaced the copper between the telephone to the exchange, the data that runs through our network and to our I.P carriers work the same way.

Is there a particular speed that is guaranteed?

There is no guarantee on what speeds a Fibre connection would be achieving.

Are speeds determined by the distant a service is from the exchange (similar to ADSL 2)?

No. Unlike copper the Optical Fibre provides more consistent speed across distant which is several times faster than copper. This is because light is been used through Optical fibres.

Is there any additional wiring work required?

Your home has been cabled in accordance with PTC 106 and the jack points have been installed either to your requirements as the builder or to the developer's specs during construction. If you would like additional outlets installed in your property, any certified structured cabling technician should be able to do the work for you.

Can I still use Dial-Up Internet?

No. Your old analogue modem will not operate in your Fibre connected home.

Do I need a PSTN service initially to have your fibre services?

Yes, you must have an active telephone service in order for us to qualify your address if you wish to get the Telstra Fibre service.

For OptiComm refer to: http://exetel.com.au/residential-fibre-opticomm-sq.php as a phone line isn't required for this provider.

How do I report a problem with my internet? what number do I call?

You could call the Exetel Support Team and they will register your case and will guide you through a series of troubleshooting steps to resolve your issue.

Can I use fibre services without a PSTN service (Naked Fibre services)?

No, You need a PSTN in order to validate qualification.

What is OLT: Optical Line Terminal?

It's similar to an ADSL DSLAM as it aggregate traffic from multiple ONTs (customers) onto Telstra's core network.

Where can I test the speed of my Fibre Optic service?

http://www.speedtest.net

Are any of the ports blocked with Fibre connections?

No port's are blocked by Exetel.

Can I get a static IP address with Optic Fibre?

All Optic Fibre services come with a static IP address.

What is FDH: Fiber Distribution Hub?

FDH aren't used with our current Fibre products.

Are optical splitters required?

It's currently not needed.

What is a BBU: Battery Backup Unit

The BBU are used for power outages, this will allow for the Fibre to function even if the power is out. This includes the telephone and the ADSL to continue to function.

I have an active telephone service (on a copper telephone line). What will happen to this when the Fibre is activated?

The copper telephone line will be disconnected and your phone service will be transferred over to the new Fibre.

My telephone line provider is ‘XYZ Telecommunications’. Will my telephone line provider continue bill us?

Yes, your telephone line provider will continue bill to you as usual.

Will there be any down time for transferring my telephone line from copper to Fibre?

Yes, there is expected down time it could vary from 2 minutes to 24 hours.

Will my telephone number change?

No, your telephone number will not change.
Last edited by Dazzled on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling, at a reader's request
Martin
eXeTeL Support

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:03 pm

With regards to our VOIP service and the fibre, do you know how long before we can use the ONT UNI V1 and UNI V2? months or years?

maestro

Post by maestro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Martin, there's some good info there, I just have a couple of extra questions...
Martin V wrote: What is the port cost for porting over my existing PSTN number over to a Voice over Fibre connection?

The cost would be a once off of $15. It would be ported as a VOIP as a number to be used in conjunction with your Internet service over Fibre
1) Does this mean that you plug your phone into the telephone port on the ONT? Or do we need to use an ATA or softphone? (or is it possible for us to choose either)?

2) Does this include calling number display as per the current VoIP offering from Exetel?
Martin V wrote: Are any of the ports blocked with Fibre connections?

3) Ahhh, I was expecting just a straight "no" here... Who (other than Exetel) would block ports on an Exetel supplied fibre connection? Or should this read "No ports are blocked on an Exetel fibre connection" ?

felix

Post by felix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05 pm

maestro wrote:
Martin V wrote: Are any of the ports blocked with Fibre connections?

3) Ahhh, I was expecting just a straight "no" here... Who (other than Exetel) would block ports on an Exetel supplied fibre connection? Or should this read "No ports are blocked on an Exetel fibre connection" ?
No ports are blocked (or have ever been blocked) by exetel and the NBN is simply the pipe between you and Exetel PoI (point of interconnect). Thus "No ports are blocked by exetel" is absolutely the correct answer. Now whether someone within your house/organisation sets up a router that does block ports is not Exetel's concern.

DvoId

Post by DvoId » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 am

I connected a phone line via Telstra when I moved into my new flat, simply for the purpose of allowing Exetel to qualify my address. Now that the fibre is up and running I am looking to cancel the phone service, as I have no need for it. My understanding is that this will not impact the fibre internet at all. Could you confirm this please?

The follow on question from this is, given that my exetel username etc is <phone number>@qld.exetel.com.au what happens after this phone number no longer belongs to me? What if it is allocated to someone else in this exchange area 12 months down the track?

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 am

DvoId wrote:I connected a phone line via Telstra when I moved into my new flat, simply for the purpose of allowing Exetel to qualify my address. Now that the fibre is up and running I am looking to cancel the phone service, as I have no need for it. My understanding is that this will not impact the fibre internet at all. Could you confirm this please?
Yes, cancelling the phone will not have an impact on the fibre service.
DvoId wrote: The follow on question from this is, given that my exetel username etc is <phone number>@qld.exetel.com.au what happens after this phone number no longer belongs to me? What if it is allocated to someone else in this exchange area 12 months down the track?
There will not be any changes made to your login details. If it was allocated to someone else it will not have an impact on you as the login details for that person will differ.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

DvoId

Post by DvoId » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi,

Based on the above response, I requested cancellation of my phone service with Telstra yesterday. It was processed today, and I now have no internet. Have attempted power cycling both the ONT and the modem with no luck.

Could this be investigated please?

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:37 pm

DvoId wrote:Hi,

Based on the above response, I requested cancellation of my phone service with Telstra yesterday. It was processed today, and I now have no internet. Have attempted power cycling both the ONT and the modem with no luck.

Can you please PM me your service number :?:.

Log a fault ticket Here
Exetel Support Portal

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 pm

DvoId wrote:Hi,

As one of my colleagues would have already explained to you, when it comes to Telstra Fibre plans, any change to the Phone will have an effect on the Fibre service. The earlier statement by me was incorrect. We will contact you again tomorrow and will further discuss as to how we could go about this matter.

Log a fault ticket Here
Exetel Support Portal

Berty

Post by Berty » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 pm

NBN is coming to our area soon (NBN says it will be ready to order by the of August). How do I migrate from ADSL to fiber? Do I keep my current account? Is it going to be possible to place an order from members area?

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Exetel will confirm/advise when it is ready to order or in the meantime you can check by going to this page and scrolling to the bottom enter your street and that will tell you if you are able to order:

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-fibre-sq.php

I am in Kiama Downs and I can advise that you cannot migrate from ADSL to fibre.

You will use the NBN button the Exetel home website and no you cannot order from your members area.

Once your NBN equipment is installed and you have an active NBN service you can cancel your ADSL service.

Then you can ask billing to merge any services you currently have such as email, mobiles and VOIP.

Hope this clears things up.

PS not sure if the above applies if you are in the fixed wireless area - you will know this.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:39 pm

You can also read up on fibre at the Exetel wiki - http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... _Broadband

The equipment needed on a wall near your point of connection is bulky and quite unlike a scarcely noticeable phone connection. Some don't mind; some are horrified. It's most satisfactory when newer homes have been designed suitable for fibre broadband. The signal is ethernet, not an analogue phone signal, so your existing modem will be no good. Suitable routers need not be expensive.

SurfnChick (above) has been through this experience at Kiama.

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Berty wrote:NBN is coming to our area soon (NBN says it will be ready to order by the of August). How do I migrate from ADSL to fiber? Do I keep my current account? Is it going to be possible to place an order from members area?
Hi Berty,

When you are informed that NBN Fibre is available in your area, please contact us on 1300 393 835 – Option 1 for Sales. We'll be able to organize an application for you. We currently do not have the option of submitting a migration from ADSL to Fibre via Members Area.

Berty

Post by Berty » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll give a call to exetel as soon as 2ARM-04 – Armidale goes live. I've heared that some 600 permises have been activated in the area, but not all of 2ARM-04.