What Modem/Router Do I Need For A Fibre Service?

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: What Modem/Router Do I Need For A Fibre Service?

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 pm

10 models listed here that are NBN capable with some throughput results as well for anyone that wants to know what's out there
http://digitaldreamer.com.au/2011/08/nb ... for-speed/

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:01 pm

To Jokin if your available.

You gave me some advice back on Jul 26.

The fibre has been connected now & I was lucky that a neighbour loaned me a Netcomm 803n to get started. I realise this is not the router that Exetel recommended however I am getting speeds of up to 65mbps from it.

Its given me time to figure out what is possible and its pretty impressive. We have decided to go with the Fritz!box 7390 which I can get for $311 which is a very good price.

I was wondering if you could explain how the fibre requires a WAN port but there is no WAN port on the fritz!Box or maybe I've missed something. I know the fibre works with the Fritz a friend purchased the 7270 & is getting good speeds.

Thanks for your help.

Deirdre

PS Turned out I needed a new computer and monitor too! I was getting speed of up to 30mbps then with new tower 50mbps, new monitor up to 65mbps.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Surfn Chick, you might be interested in a Belgian comment here: http://www.voiptalk.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4
LAN1 can also function as WAN - leaves you 3 LAN ports.

PS: Philippe also has something to say to an Australian fibre user at http://fritzbox.com.au/forums/showthrea ... with-7390-(&s=ffe4e9dd081c3733dadfc105c3700d62&highlight=lan1

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Surfn Chick wrote:
I was wondering if you could explain how the fibre requires a WAN port but there is no WAN port on the fritz!Box or maybe I've missed something. I know the fibre works with the Fritz a friend purchased the 7270 & is getting good speeds.
as mentioned by Dazzled already the LAN 1 port can be configured as a WAN port as part of the setup, that's the same model I have, works very well

voltz

Post by voltz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 am

I'll chime in here for some help

basic question

does NBN require a modem at all ? or does it just work through a router ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 am

The NBN is ethernet already at the box. If you want wireless or multiple connections, attach a router.

voltz

Post by voltz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 am

Dazzled wrote:The NBN is ethernet already at the box. If you want wireless or multiple connections, attach a router.
thanks Dazzled

just to clarify ADSL is a phone signal which the modem needs to keep alive and then converts to ethernet ?

and now NBN as you say is ethernet at the box ?

can you tell me about the NBN box ? Is it supplied and fitted during the NBN install and does it stay on the outside
of the house ?

does the install cover bringing the NBN to a point inside the house or does the customer have to run their own cable
from the NBN (box)to the computer/router ?

edit:
I just checked and found the Fibre FAQ :)
I will leave this post just in case some of my questions are not covered

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:32 pm

NBN as you say is ethernet at the box
Yes you can connect a laptop/computer directly to NTD and then you simply need to configure the PPPoE connection on it.
can you tell me about the NBN box ? Is it supplied and fitted during the NBN install and does it stay on the outside
of the house ?
Network Termination Device (NTD - NBN Box) can be installed either inside or outside the house depending on your premises according to the technician.
does the install cover bringing the NBN to a point inside the house or does the customer have to run their own cable
If the NTD is installed outside you have do run the internal cabling from NTD to the socket inside the house to be able to connect a computer or router.

voltz

Post by voltz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Kaushalya wrote:
NBN as you say is ethernet at the box
Yes you can connect a laptop/computer directly to NTD and then you simply need to configure the PPPoE connection on it.
of the house ?
Network Termination Device (NTD - NBN Box) can be installed either inside or outside the house depending on your premises according to the technician.
If the NTD is installed outside you have do run the internal cabling from NTD to the socket inside the house to be able to connect a computer or router.
thank you very much Kaushalya

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:28 pm

One snippet extra - running internal NBN cable uses large diameter conduit with large radius bends. It isn't easy to accommodate this in an existing house.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbn ... ablers.pdf

voltz

Post by voltz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:03 pm

Dazzled wrote:One snippet extra - running internal NBN cable uses large diameter conduit with large radius bends. It isn't easy to accommodate this in an existing house.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbn ... ablers.pdf
Dazzled
I was under the impression that cat6 cable was used from the ONT to the computer / router,if this is correct is it necessary
to have the cable run in conduit ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:18 pm

The NBN diagram shows their requirements for getting their service to an internally located NTD (not one where they simply drill a hole in a front external wall).

Your internal ethernet cables, including the feed into your router or computer, are part of your network and do not require conduit (though they must be separated from power conductors if you want to run them inside walls etc, as required by the elec Wiring Rules).

voltz

Post by voltz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:13 am

Dazzled wrote:The NBN diagram shows their requirements for getting their service to an internally located NTD (not one where they simply drill a hole in a front external wall).

Your internal ethernet cables, including the feed into your router or computer, are part of your network and do not require conduit (though they must be separated from power conductors if you want to run them inside walls etc, as required by the elec Wiring Rules).
thanks again Dazzled :)