Optus Fibre in our area soon

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
rseydler

Optus Fibre in our area soon

Post by rseydler » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 pm

Got approached by an Optus guy today to say they weren't selling anything but they are rolling fibre out in our area... then asked if I wanted to sign up :roll: .. $50 for 150GB of data which is a pretty good deal (much more than we'll ever use).

Does that mean that our area may also come under Exetel as well? We are in the McDowall QLD 4053 area. Keen to switch over to fibre but don't really want to leave exetel.

Tx

reallysuperman

Re: Optus Fibre in our area soon

Post by reallysuperman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:25 am

Fiber through Optus I believe is their HFC network, from memory this is on Optus Retail product only.

Telstra have a large fiber network aswell for their HFC network which again I believe is their retail only network.

They both commonly refer to this as their cable broardband network and i dont think that Exetel will have access to with of these networks. Telstra on the other hand has a new "fiber" network that is available in point cook that they are trialing that Exetel has access to but I am almost 100% sure this is seperate to their HFC network.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 am

rseydler wrote:Got approached by an Optus guy today to say they weren't selling anything but they are rolling fibre out in our area... then asked if I wanted to sign up :roll: .. $50 for 150GB of data which is a pretty good deal (much more than we'll ever use).

Does that mean that our area may also come under Exetel as well? We are in the McDowall QLD 4053 area. Keen to switch over to fibre but don't really want to leave exetel.

Tx
We don't have access to Optus HFC.

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

HTC (Hybrid fibre-coaxial) which is not pure fibre. this is fibre to the exchange then coaxial to ur house.

so the sales person that said "we have fibre in ur area" isnt 100% correct. :(

Mandella

Post by Mandella » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 am

It's a scam to get sign-ups; reported regularly in other forums. Happened to me, too.