South Brisbane

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
lamclennan

South Brisbane

Post by lamclennan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Is Exetel planning to offer services in South Brisbane? If so any idea of what prices to expect?

Thanks.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: South Brisbane

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Exetel uses Telstra and Optus equipment, prices vary. ADSL1 is available everywhere.

Telstra -- http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php
Optus --- http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php (though some websites report that there is no more capacity).
Mobile Broadband (Wireless) --- http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hs ... mation.php

If you select the Order button for a desired ADSL2 plan, it will bring up an availability checker for that service.

Edit: Sorry for the above. I just realised that this is a fibre inquiry. See http://www.exetel.com.au/corporate-fibre.php or ring Sales for local area details.

lamclennan

Post by lamclennan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:02 am

The South Brisbane exchange is being removed and the copper is being replaced by fiber. The service I was enquiring about would be a consumer service.
http://fibretosouthbrisbane.com.au/

Will prices be similar to Fibre In Point Cook?

Regards.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 am

I'll ask someone for you.

melanieb
Exetel Staff

Post by melanieb » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 pm

lamclennan wrote:Is Exetel planning to offer services in South Brisbane? If so any idea of what prices to expect?

Thanks.
Exetel will be offering the same services in the South Brisbane area as we do today in Point Cook.

Pricing will be as per Point Cook: http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-fi ... t-cook.php

jaranf

Post by jaranf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Will the current copper ADSL services (Optus, AAPT, Telstra) still be available in South Brisbane after Telstra replaces the copper with fibre?

I.e. For those that have recently signed up to an ADSL2 service (e.g. phone & internet on the AAPT network), will that service cease to operate once Telstra installs the fibre cable and the ONT into the home, or will that servcie continue to work through the phone line connection on the ONT?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 pm

jaranf wrote:Will the current copper ADSL services (Optus, AAPT, Telstra) still be available in South Brisbane after Telstra replaces the copper with fibre?

I.e. For those that have recently signed up to an ADSL2 service (e.g. phone & internet on the AAPT network), will that service cease to operate once Telstra installs the fibre cable and the ONT into the home, or will that servcie continue to work through the phone line connection on the ONT?
The changeover will be phased.

When your service is scheduled for swap over Exetel will send you your options - stay with an AAPT network service or change to either an Optus or Telstra service.

The fibre prices will be put on the web site well before you have to make any decision.

You will also get two email notifications and a phone call.

pemang

Post by pemang » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:22 am

How do we request these services as an upgrade to our existing exetel service?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:15 pm

pemang wrote:How do we request these services as an upgrade to our existing exetel service?
Hi,

When fibre is brought to your home by Telstra.

lamclennan

Post by lamclennan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Just a bit of an update.
Exetel have plans just for South Brisbane now. http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-fi ... isbane.php

It looks like you are required to have exetel provide a phone service. However they are cheep enough that you could get 30mbit internet from exetel for a total of $60 and then get a 2nd phone line with better rates from another provider. Overall that would be cheaper than going telstra or some of the other isps.

BTW I moved my self up the queue by calling Telstra on http://www.fibretosouthbrisbane.com.au/ . Admittedly i ended up going with bigpond for internet because they agreed to no contract (moving in 2 months).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:38 am

lamclennan wrote:
It looks like you are required to have exetel provide a phone service. However they are cheep enough that you could get 30mbit internet from exetel for a total of $60 and then get a 2nd phone line with better rates from another provider. Overall that would be cheaper than going telstra or some of the other isps.
Exetel will provide SBEX services that don't require a telephone line early next week.

Though I would have thought that a $25.00 Telstra telephone line was very inexpensive.

lamclennan

Post by lamclennan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:25 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel will provide SBEX services that don't require a telephone line early next week.

Though I would have thought that a $25.00 Telstra telephone line was very inexpensive.
By not require a telephone line do you mean not require one from exetel? I thought telstra required everyone to have a voice service on the fibre?

$25 is very good particularly when you compared it to the other ISPs. I was just making the comment that heavy phone users who wanted better calling rates could still use exetel (as the phone line price is very reasonable) and then get a 2nd line for all their calls which they require the low calling rates on (exetel would just suggest voip).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 am

lamclennan wrote: By not require a telephone line do you mean not require one from exetel? I thought telstra required everyone to have a voice service on the fibre?

$25 is very good particularly when you compared it to the other ISPs. I was just making the comment that heavy phone users who wanted better calling rates could still use exetel (as the phone line price is very reasonable) and then get a 2nd line for all their calls which they require the low calling rates on (exetel would just suggest voip).
We will modify the SBEX order form to allow a customer to order the data service only with the option of also ordering a telephone service.

.....and yes, Exetel always recommend VoIP as the best telephony option.

lamclennan

Post by lamclennan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:01 pm

When are those who are having new connections going to be accepted? As they can't get Fibre or ADSL at this time.

maverick36

Post by maverick36 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:23 pm

I was contacted by Exetel on 7 November and after agreeing to a plan, I received an email saying we'd be connected to Fibre in the next few days. I heard nothing since. After receiving a note from Telstra saying the copper service would be deactivated in our area on 1 January 2012, I have tried to contact Exetel a couple of times in the past week about what's happening with our transition to Fibre, but am yet to receive a straight answer about what's going on.

I'm getting quite concerned, with xmas approaching rapidly, that we're going to be disconnected in 10 days.

So I'm just wondering whether other users have been connected to Fibre yet by Exetel in the South Brisbane area?

Are there serious issues with the provisioning process that are preventing new connections from being made by Exetel (and perhaps other non-Telstra ISPs)?

I've been a very loyal Exetel customer now for over 6 years - I'm reluctant to switch over to Telstra, but I'm thinking that this is looking like the only viable for getting internet in my area.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Maverick.