Significant constant NBN speed issues Ipswich, QLD

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
Hotchips

Significant constant NBN speed issues Ipswich, QLD

Post by Hotchips » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:09 pm

ok,

I came back to Exetel last year with NBN because before moving to QLD, I was with Exetel quite a few years ago in Sydney (+10 years ago). I never had an issue with the service, which while very basic, was satisfactory for the unbeatable pricing for plans offered. Outages were very few, and forums pretty much covered those that were unexpected. When I say basic, the service offered was "no bells and whistles" - but I absolutely thought it was cracking good. Great price, no probs. :D

So now....

I have the 100/40 plan. At first, was grouse, speeds were consistently above 80/30 even during peak times. Worst test results were around 50/20. I could live with that, as these were uncommon. Almost always was near full speed. 8)

Things changed. Mid April this year I raised a ticket with Exetel as I started to get consistently poor speeds to the point where it was often at ADSL1 or worse. I checked / troubleshooted hardware, tested speeds to internet, PC for issues, seemed it was the connection.

I WOULD NOT say this was a "Peak hour congestion" kind of deal - unless peak hour means anything from 6am to 1am? - which I don't see as reasonable, and speeds were not just down, they TANKED (5-10% of max). Which is still current.

Thread raised...
viewtopic.php?f=329&t=41974&p=314247&hi ... 29#p314247
Ticket opened (9025529)...
viewtopic.php?f=329&t=41991&p=314413#p314413

I put up with it as it seemed a bit intermittent. Very often bad, but fluctuating, and to be honest, was kind of just hoping it would "fix itself" as Exetel, or wholesale provider added more capacity/gear upgrades.

So Exetel admins, apart from your early response which was quite stunning, advising me (by email)....

Dear Rod,

Thanks for sending the test results. Going through the accumulated transfer rate, I understand you are not getting the speeds you expected on this plan. Unfortunately, we will not be able to guarantee you the plan speed during a given time. You may refer the link below for more information.
http://www.exetel.com.au/files/cis/nbn/ ... adband.pdf

If the current situation is making the service un-usable and unsatisfactory to you, you may opt-out and choose a provider who is better able to meet your needs. Though this is not our desired outcome, we have given you the opt-out decision as we need to clear up your options.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

I really want to give you a chance to look into this rather than tell me essentially 'if you don't like it, leave' as I do not really want to go through the crap of cutting over internet and VOIP to another provider.

So PLEASE - look into why in Redbank Plains, QLD, I get speeds that are unuseable for days on end.

Particularly, please specifically address...
1. Are you aware of an issue affecting other users in my area/on my exchange?
2. Are you able to definitively rule in/out issues before the property line (upstream from my fibre modem)
3. Can you advise if there is any troubleshooting help you can advise to see if it is my TP-Link N750 router (originally one of the devices supported for Exetel plans) - I do not believe this is the issue, logs and tests do not indicate a problem, but happy to do more testing.
4. Can you please confirm Exetel "not being able to guarantee line speed" does not equate to performance consistently at or below 10% of theoretical speed? (not really an acceptable "variance")

I really hope you guys can put some good service onto this. Like I said, I want to stay with you. Frustration is getting the better of me and while I could have advised you sooner of the ongoing problem, the previous direction support was going (see above) did not really offer a pathway to resolution and as I said, I was hoping it would automagically get better (fixed in the background)

I hope you see this as a challenge and drive this to a conclusion one way or another, with some good pro-active customer service. Even if it is capacity or congestion issues, it would be great to have clear, definitive information around this.

For reference, a friend who is 1Klm away (off my street) has NBN with another provider, he has 100/40 tier plan as I do, he gets consistently good speeds with some slowness in peak - but nothing like the slowness I get (he may slow to around 60Mbps downloads for example). This is only mentioned as it may be useful information for you.

I look forward to comments. And answers.

Cheers,
Rod.
I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.
Groucho Marx

Hotchips

Re: Significant constant NBN speed issues Ipswich, QLD

Post by Hotchips » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Oh, almost forgot....

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... s/37407971

is current speed.
Groucho Marx

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:06 pm

I have sent an email to you via the same case reference 9043065.

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi Kaushalya,

If you sent it to the 'hpa' one - its redundant. I have updated that in profile.

Cheers.
Groucho Marx

Kumudh

Post by Kumudh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Hotchips wrote:Hi Kaushalya,

If you sent it to the 'hpa' one - its redundant. I have updated that in profile.

Cheers.
Hi Hotchips,

The email has been sent to the one mentioned in the account '.jns1'.

Cheers,
Kumudh

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:22 pm

the one mentioned in the account '.jns1'.
I am not sure what that is, but I have received nothing.

Please send to my exetel email address. Alternatively, the gmail one in my forum profile.

Cheers,
Groucho Marx

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 pm

me again,

I seem to be getting packet drops also affecting my connection. I just discovered exetel have a speed test site, and tried it....

Result: 5Mbps down. On the up test...
Was around 20Mbps up, but then (as often happens) the needle just slowly tanks (drop out) and sure enough...
TEST TIMED OUT
The test timed out. Please try again later.

Ping test from router showed 1 out of 50 packets dropped. I went to routers web site and grabbed the latest firmware, upgraded, and went through all settings, rebooted, just to freshen everything.

Re-tested....
Last Result:
Download Speed: 8927 kbps (1115.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 16902 kbps (2112.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 26 ms
Jitter: 2 ms
8/4/2015, 9:51:23 PM

Packet test again...
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 49, Lost = 1 (2% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
Minimum = 20, Maximum = 30, Average = 27

I hope this helps.
Groucho Marx

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Post by Amila Fernando » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Hotchips wrote:
the one mentioned in the account '.jns1'.
I am not sure what that is, but I have received nothing.

Please send to my exetel email address. Alternatively, the gmail one in my forum profile.

Cheers,

Could you please PM us your service number, so we can have a look into this.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:24 pm

PM sent.

Thanks.
Groucho Marx

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Post by Amila Fernando » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Hotchips wrote:PM sent.

Thanks.
Thank you. I have dropped an email to your nominated email, requesting some troubleshooting.

Kindly go with the troubleshooting requested and send us the results so we can effectively investigate the incident.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:25 pm

OK,

An update for anyone (members) who happen to be reading/interested in my speed issue....

I was away for a bit for work (interstate) so a bit of a time lapse. I was kinda hopeful that by my return it would be sorted, but alas, it was worse....
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4632861637
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4632877938

So tests ran as requested, and Exetel advised Optus (provider) confirmed a DSLAM issue, but Optus would not commit to a time frame for resolution. Once again, an opt out was offered with no fees to terminate.

I looked around intending to change ISPs. I ran into a small problem.

Telstra, iiNet, Internode and Optus ALL advised my VoIP phone number was not portable. Exetel advised it was portable, and there was no issues porting it to another ISP. All they need is the account reference number quoted, and they would release/transfer the number.
Interestingly, Telstra, iiNet, Internode all said the number was "owned by Optus and not portable" - Optus say it is not theirs and not portable. Exetel advise it is AAPT who provide the VoIP number, and it is portable.

What a freakin mess.

30mins on the phone with Telstra to see if they had a process to deal with this - like can they escalate to a technical team and maybe talk directly with Exetel Provisioning Dept and get a resolution? No. Apparently beyond the scope of Telstra Sales/support staff. This is despite the fact the system that they were looking at said Optus owns the number, and Exetel are clearly stating this is not the case. So Telstra, maybe your system is wrong. Databases are known to have records that are out of date! (Optus was where we first provisioned the number 10+ years ago, and went to Exetel and it was 'ported' over to them, no probs. So Optus did once upon a time own it.)

So I am now waiting on Exetel to provide some detailed information in an email about my particular VoIP service. Details like account/item numbers that are recognised across ISP's, and any/all information about it so other ISP's can hopefully do SOMETHING. I really don't want to leave my number behind, mainly because of the inconvenience, and it is a cracking good one. Rolls off the tongue, easy to remember.

So thats where I'm at.
Still with Exetel....
Still hoping Optus pull a rabbit out of their god damn hat and FIX the 'identified' issue.
Still willing to STAY with Exetel should a resolution present itself.

ugh......
Groucho Marx

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Hotchips wrote:,

So I am now waiting on Exetel to provide some detailed information in an email about my particular VoIP service. Details like account/item numbers that are recognised across ISP's, and any/all information about it so other ISP's can hopefully do SOMETHING. I really don't want to leave my number behind, mainly because of the inconvenience, and it is a cracking good one. Rolls off the tongue, easy to remember.
I refer to the comments made by the provisioning department that you have contacted today. According to them,

* They will email you the details requested of the Voip services. - Ticket ID: 9426732

* They have provided the customer ID and advised you to request the port as there are no restrictions on our end. If there's any rejection from your new supplier, email(provisioning@exetel.com.au) us the exact rejection reason. - Ticket ID: 9337175

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:13 pm

yep, email received, thanks.

Telstra now using a slightly different process. Service ordered, they will request the ported VoIP number which the system will "error" as unavailable - then they will escalate it through their internal provisioning Technical support teams, who they are sure will be able to solve it.

So back to the big beast (Telstra) I go after many years of being Telstra free!

It is a pity that there are soooo many users posting so much hate about a once great value ISP. Exetel, you ignore these problems at your own peril. Churning customers through a poor service can only lead to your demise. Check the Whirlpool forums. It a horror story. :twisted: Not to mention - http://www.productreview.com.au/p/exetel-2.html
And not just from one or two customers with issues, seems like you guys have a pretty significant backhaul capacity issue. The one thing in your favour? A lot of other ISP's seem to have similar issues. So it all comes down to communication with your users. If I had clout at Exetel, the MINIMUM I would be doing is a mail to ALL users detailing the situation, and the plan to deal with it. Best get in front of these problems or you won't have a user base left to look after. I am leaving ONLY because I pay for 100/40 and am getting on average 5/10. Lowest speeds around 0.5Mbps down. So that's around a cool hundred of my hard earned, every month, gone for a service that just is not there.

Exetel Admins: I'll contact you soon to organise the cancel. :|
Groucho Marx