Exetel South Brisbane Fibre

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
hansh

Post by hansh » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:11 pm

I have had an Exetel Fibre connection at South Brisbane for several years.
Recently, this service (30Mbps down) has dropped to 3-5 Mbps during peak hours every day. It then returns during off peak hours to near 30Mbps.
I have contacted Exetel and asked some questions via Ticket No: 9437290 but have been given some information that seems to come from overseas and has technical flaws.
Here is the latest email:
Dear xxxxxx,

The issue here is that our wholesale supplier has advised they have identified a network related issue in your area that all customers connected to the particular DSLAM are facing at the moment. The infrastructure belongs to the wholesale supplier and upgrading those infrastructure is a management/commercial decision taken by them. Although they plan to upgrade their infrastructure at some point, they still have no ETA on when it will happen.

Therefore we have only 2 options.

1. Keep you as a customer until our wholesale supplier upgrades the infrastructure, thereby to an unknown point into the future you will have slow speeds.
2. Let you opt out without any termination charges, so you may sign up with a provider who can cater to your demand.

Although we do not want to lose you as a valued customer, the reason why we have offered you to opt-out from our service without any penalties was because we will not be able to provide you an immediate solution to the problem at hand. Kindly note that this is a residential grade service without any SLA (Service Level Agreement) and therefore reductions in price cannot be offered to an unknown point in the future. Also there are no other alternatives.
Since South Brisbane Fibre was laid and is owned by TELSTRA it seems that Exetel are being squeezed to discard their customers so that TELSTRA can pick them up before the NBN is connected. I am assuming the foregoing because Exetel will NOT tell the exact cause, plus since when does a fully serviced Fibre only Exchange use DSLAMS?
Something fishy here and I need to know what alternatives I have. There are NO other ISPs able supply services from the South Brisbane exchange.

Please respond asap please......Thanks

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Re: Exetel South Brisbane Fibre

Post by Kaushalya » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Since South Brisbane Fibre was laid and is owned by TELSTRA it seems that Exetel are being squeezed to discard their customers so that TELSTRA can pick them up before the NBN is connected. I am assuming the foregoing because Exetel will NOT tell the exact cause, plus since when does a fully serviced Fibre only Exchange use DSLAMS?
Something fishy here and I need to know what alternatives I have. There are NO other ISPs able supply services from the South Brisbane exchange.
I have responded to you through an email under the reference 9437290.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused :(

hansh

Post by hansh » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:22 pm

I appreciate your response but it is as vanilla as all previous emails:
Dear xxxx,
Kindly note that this matter is beyond our control so we are unable to provide any alternatives other than what we previously offered.
As informed to you, this has been escalated to our supplier as a complaint and waiting for their response which will take about 20 working days. We will anyway provide you the outcome of the complaint. But we cannot promise a resolution from that.
Regards,
Kaushalya
As I have said before I like EXETEL because it is local. The technical support has previously been excellent and I just can't understand that a loyal customer is not being told the full story. According to your above response I can wait for 20 days plus and plus etc. or move to TELSTRA. That's hardly an alternative and DOES NOT sound like the true facts. I still smell fish.....

Sunthomas

Post by Sunthomas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Post by hansh on Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:11 am
I have had an Exetel Fibre connection at South Brisbane for several years.
Recently, this service (30Mbps down) has dropped to 3-5 Mbps during peak hours every day. It then returns during off peak hours to near 30Mbps.
I have contacted Exetel and asked some questions via Ticket No: 9437290 but have been given some information that seems to come from overseas and has technical flaws.
Here is the latest email:

Dear xxxxxx,

The issue here is that our wholesale supplier has advised they have identified a network related issue in your area that all customers connected to the particular DSLAM are facing at the moment. The infrastructure belongs to the wholesale supplier and upgrading those infrastructure is a management/commercial decision taken by them. Although they plan to upgrade their infrastructure at some point, they still have no ETA on when it will happen.

Therefore we have only 2 options.

1. Keep you as a customer until our wholesale supplier upgrades the infrastructure, thereby to an unknown point into the future you will have slow speeds.
2. Let you opt out without any termination charges, so you may sign up with a provider who can cater to your demand.

Although we do not want to lose you as a valued customer, the reason why we have offered you to opt-out from our service without any penalties was because we will not be able to provide you an immediate solution to the problem at hand. Kindly note that this is a residential grade service without any SLA (Service Level Agreement) and therefore reductions in price cannot be offered to an unknown point in the future. Also there are no other alternatives.

Please respond asap please......Thanks
I went through all this late last year had the same form letter after I did all the asked for speed test I have stayed with Exetel so far but of late the service has gone downhill weekends are a joke upload and download speeds go down this may be due to Netflix ? there is talk that the NBN is coming certainly they are providing the service to a new building site on the Brisbane River according to the NBN map .But Telstra and NBN are squabbling over the Telstra equipment Telstra says its ok NBN says its not up to their standard AND WE THE CUSTOMERS SUFFER

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:32 am

hansh wrote:As I have said before I like EXETEL because it is local. The technical support has previously been excellent and I just can't understand that a loyal customer is not being told the full story. According to your above response I can wait for 20 days plus and plus etc. or move to TELSTRA. That's hardly an alternative and DOES NOT sound like the true facts. I still smell fish.....
Apologies but your service has been identified to be affected by network issues, for which we are trying to find a resolution. However these investigations take time and as such have advised you of the wait time.

We have also provided you the other option in the event that you are not satisfied with the speeds you are getting as the issue you are facing is something outside our control.

hansh

Post by hansh » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:10 pm

@ Sunthomas, I appreciate your input and hope that other, similarly affected customers, are also protesting about the abysmal Exetel Fibre Services in South Brisbane.
I just wonder if any TELSTRA direct customers are suffering likewise or if it only affects those who are signed up with Exetel?

At 9.30pm last night I did a speed test and got 2.61 Mbps UP and 1.52 Mbps DOWN. It is totally disgusting especially if TELSTRA are throttling only Exetel customers. If this is a TELSTRA creation, then all TELSTRA customers are exposed to similar actions until the NBN is here. Already TELSTRA's pricing is much more expensive and I am an aged pensioner who can hardly afford to pay another heap of money for something that looks like no improvement to the current fiasco.

@angelos, and the "waiting time" is 20 days without any guarantees. Sounds like a lucky dip! :?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:37 pm

hansh wrote:@angelos, and the "waiting time" is 20 days without any guarantees. Sounds like a lucky dip! :?
It may not take that long. That is the usual time frame they say it will take. We will keep you in the loop as promised.

nsim

Post by nsim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Are these issues still ongoing, because I am on the same exchange and in the evenings I struggle to get 1Mbps? Tonight it is 0.6Mbps:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1527165177

Day time I usually get closer to 10Mbps.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 am

nsim wrote:Are these issues still ongoing, because I am on the same exchange and in the evenings I struggle to get 1Mbps? Tonight it is 0.6Mbps:

Issue is still on going with no ETR for a fix. Can you please PM me your service number to check if you are also affected by the same issue?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 am

nsim wrote:Are these issues still ongoing, because I am on the same exchange and in the evenings I struggle to get 1Mbps? Tonight it is 0.6Mbps:

PM received. However, please drop us an email on residentialsupport@exetel.com.au quoting this forum post and we will have to run through a few checks but it could be affiliated with the same.