fttn speed reduced significantly during peak hrs

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
DaveCav

fttn speed reduced significantly during peak hrs

Post by DaveCav » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm in Newcastle on a 100/40 FTTN connection and during the quiet hours of the day/night have very good fibre speeds, usually hitting 80+mbps down according to the speedtest websites.
Unfortunately during the busier hours of the day this speed drops drastically and is lucky to exceed 10 mbps.
I understand the heavier traffic could cause a bit of slowdown but I find this result unacceptable.
Please let me know if I can expect this quality of service to continue, hopefully it will improve as I'd like to stay with Exetel.

Just to add, for the means of testing the connection I have tried different cables, sockets, hardware and all results are comparable but the fact the speed is excellent in off peak times it leads me to believe its the service and not our equipment.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: fttn speed reduced significantly during peak hrs

Post by KavindaS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:46 pm

DaveCav wrote:I'm in Newcastle on a 100/40 FTTN connection and during the quiet hours of the day/night have very good fibre speeds, usually hitting 80+mbps down according to the speedtest websites.
Unfortunately during the busier hours of the day this speed drops drastically and is lucky to exceed 10 mbps.
I understand the heavier traffic could cause a bit of slowdown but I find this result unacceptable.
Please let me know if I can expect this quality of service to continue, hopefully it will improve as I'd like to stay with Exetel.

Just to add, for the means of testing the connection I have tried different cables, sockets, hardware and all results are comparable but the fact the speed is excellent in off peak times it leads me to believe its the service and not our equipment.

Thanks for your help.
Dave
Hi Dave,

If you have an ongoing email ticket Ref no, kindly PM the number for further check on this. If not perform random speed tests at different time frames and send us the results to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au , and we will investigate according with the supplier to check for any network related issues. Make sure you send the email stating the service number in the subject line.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:33 pm

KavindaS wrote:
DaveCav wrote:I'm in Newcastle on a 100/40 FTTN connection and during the quiet hours of the day/night have very good fibre speeds, usually hitting 80+mbps down according to the speedtest websites.

Thanks for your help.
Dave
Hi Dave,

If you have an ongoing email ticket Ref no, kindly PM the number for further check on this. If not perform random speed tests at different time frames and send us the results to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au , and we will investigate according with the supplier to check for any network related issues. Make sure you send the email stating the service number in the subject line.
Hi Dave,

PM received and thanks. We will check and reply back to you via the same ticket ref 10412853. From now on we will communicate through the email ticket.

DaveCav

Post by DaveCav » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:48 pm

hey KavindaS

sorry to bring up this old post but its been over a week now and I've sent a couple of emails with no response to notify if they have been received or if the issue is being investigated.

like others here, I am a longtime exetel member (6+years) and I once would have recommended the isp to anyone but the service in the past few months has been very disappointing.

can you please let me know if this is being looked at.

thanks
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:33 pm

DaveCav wrote:hey KavindaS

sorry to bring up this old post but its been over a week now and I've sent a couple of emails with no response to notify if they have been received or if the issue is being investigated.

like others here, I am a longtime exetel member (6+years) and I once would have recommended the isp to anyone but the service in the past few months has been very disappointing.

can you please let me know if this is being looked at.

thanks
Dave
Hi Dev,

Apologies for the delay response. One of the senior engineers have looked in to this. He will check and reply to you ASAP.

shanport

Post by shanport » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:49 pm

@KavindaS what was the outcome of your issue? was it resolved?
I am currently having the same problem, on the opticomm network and the speed is almost unusable in peak times.
Interested to see how you went.
Thanks, Shannon

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:24 pm

shanport wrote:@KavindaS what was the outcome of your issue? was it resolved?
I am currently having the same problem, on the opticomm network and the speed is almost unusable in peak times.
Interested to see how you went.
Thanks, Shannon
Hi Shannon,
After some network changes made within the supplier network, most of the customers have confirmed the service. If you have slow speeds issues during peak times, send us an email with performed speed test results to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for further investigation.

ScottRowland1987

Post by ScottRowland1987 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi @KavindaS

I have just signed up for a FTTN 100/40 NBN plan and I am experiencing the same issues during peak times. During non-peak times I am getting 90/30 which is what I was expecting, however during peak times the speed is no faster that 10Mbps at best (usually lower), which is slower than the ADSL I had before (also from Exetel)! I have sent an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au on 2/9/2016 with details so I have a ticket number if you need to follow it up, but as of yet I have received no reply. I have been taking regular speedtest.net tests which I can forward on if required. I am currently very disappointed in the service as I would expect at least traffic prioritisation if I am paying to have the "up to" 100Mbps service. I would not have switched to the NBN (and payed the $20 premium) if I knew this would have been the results after switching.

Many Thanks and looking forward to the reply,

Scott

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 am

ScottRowland1987 wrote:Hi @KavindaS

I have just signed up for a FTTN 100/40 NBN plan and I am experiencing the same issues during peak times. During non-peak times I am getting 90/30 which is what I was expecting, however during peak times the speed is no faster that 10Mbps at best (usually lower), which is slower than the ADSL I had before (also from Exetel)! I have sent an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au on 2/9/2016 with details so I have a ticket number if you need to follow it up, but as of yet I have received no reply. I have been taking regular speedtest.net tests which I can forward on if required. I am currently very disappointed in the service as I would expect at least traffic prioritisation if I am paying to have the "up to" 100Mbps service. I would not have switched to the NBN (and payed the $20 premium) if I knew this would have been the results after switching.

Scott
Let me check this to you. PM me the relevant ticket number and the 10 digit service number.

ScottRowland1987

Post by ScottRowland1987 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:42 pm

KavindaS wrote:

Scott
Let me check this to you. PM me the relevant ticket number and the 10 digit service number.
PM Sent. Thanks KavindaS

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:57 pm

PM Sent. Thanks KavindaS
PM received and thanks. I have allocated a senior engineer to work on your email ticket and he will communicate through the same email.

ScottRowland1987

Post by ScottRowland1987 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi KavindaS,

Just seeing if you could check the status of my ticket. I have sent the details requested (speed test results etc) for my ticket back to the email address, however I have not received any reply to confirm receipt of the email, or any email at all with any sort of ETA. The issue is still occurring and therefore my service is useless during peak times, the time I use it the most.

Thanks,

Scott

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:03 pm

ScottRowland1987 wrote:Hi KavindaS,

Just seeing if you could check the status of my ticket. I have sent the details requested (speed test results etc) for my ticket back to the email address, however I have not received any reply to confirm receipt of the email, or any email at all with any sort of ETA. The issue is still occurring and therefore my service is useless during peak times, the time I use it the most.

Thanks,

Scott
Hi Scott,

We have investigated and in the process of escalating to our wholesale supplier. From now on the service issue ref no is 10713076. We will update you accordingly.